I HATE coffee

The coffee machine where I work is one of these babies which makes perfect espresso with a nice layer of crema on top and all. I drink like eight of those a day. If you think espresso is just strong coffee, you haven’t had the real stuff.

I heard artificial sweeteners cause your body to store more calories as fat. Someone’s summary of an article was that the brain thinks it tastes sugar, expects a dose of calories, finds out its scarce, so it stores more calories when you get them from other things. - That could also mean people think that because the soda is calorie free they don’t have to watch other sources. Or it could just be statistical correlation between weight and diet soda drinkers. Journalism is sometimes the worst hop in the telephone game.

I stopped drinking soda a few years ago. I used to drink one or more soda a day. Then it got hot, so I brought soda and water with me for lunch so I wouldn’t double my soda intake. Then it stayed hot and I did not have space for both. I happened to chose water because the bottle was bigger. It wasn’t cold turkey. I just happened to stop by chance and did not even recognize it was bad to drink soda frequently. I didn’t do anything radical, it wasn’t painful for me to give up at the time, and it only took a couple weeks to lose interest in sweetened brown chemical liquid, but in retrospect the reason I drank soda was still addict behavior.

Carbs, not calories. Calories are a unit of energy, used by your body to, among other vital functions, BURN fat. They’re quite important, its a real shame and destructive that calories have been flagged as something bad. Its like saying that electricity is bad for an electrical device really - it just doesn’t make sense.

You don’t have to take my word for it since I’m basically contradicting what most governments (who care about money, not you) around the world say - and who am I? But if anyone is interested, I can advise this informative 5-part video series:

Big Fat Fiasco pt 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exi7O1li_wA

This put some things in perspective for me. Let me put it differently: a few times while seeing this I was feeling really stupid for never having actually used my brain to see the contradictions in what is said about food and health.

Surprised you haven’t lost most of your teeth too :S

Cas :slight_smile:

@gimbal you’re on the money.

Honey health tip:

Mix 1 spoon of honey in 1 glass of warmer water and drink in early morning to reduce weight.
Mix 1 spoon of honey in 1 glass of warmer milk and drink in early morning to increase weight.

My uncle reduced his weight by 4 kgs in 3 months.

You’re trolling us right? :slight_smile:

Trolling? No, not at all…

Losing or gaining 4kg in 3 months is within the noise margin.
I can lose/gain that in a week or two, with some effort. Spoons of honey not required.

Yup was just about to say 4kg in 3 months is nothing. Also, correlation does not imply causation. :slight_smile:

The point is simply E=m*c^2 is ture for losing weight as well. Matter and energy.
Just put in less energy than is used each day.
There are of course health concerns that people dont use a kcal delta that is too big, or that they will kinda eat crap only but keep within the allowed kcal.
You can lose weight in an “unhealthy” but depending on how and how long its fine.

I never got: no fat, no carbs, no carbs in the evening, eeeeh only this, never that. Just count dem kcals and eat sensibly :o exercise helps in either case, but that goes without saying…

That shows how uninformed you are. Macronutrients do matter in weight loss in addition to keeping a caloric deficit.

My diet, called keto, is where I severely restrict carbohydrate intake (20g per day max for me), eat a moderate amount of protein, and a lot of fat. This has led my body to undergo ketosis, where I switched from using insulin (to use sugar) as my main energy source to ketones, which use fats. This leads to much greater weight loss than a traditional diet where you only maintain a caloric deficit. For example, I have lost 35lbs (~16kg) in the past 4 months, just by avoiding carbs and eating fats.

Also, drinking and eating dairy causes more fat to go unprocessed through your body. IIRC it was due to the calcium attaching itself to the fatty substances in your stomach. You will lose an additional couple of kg per year, simply by moderately increasing your dairy intake.

You would have to run ~100 BILLION kilometers to lose 1kg if this were true. Your body cannot convert matter into energy or vice versa.

Well yeah maybe, I just never understood why bother… seemed so complicated for me when you can just count the kcal.

Yeah I didn’t mean the actually energy of the mass :stuck_out_tongue:

I once lost 12 kg and I didn’t watch what I eat, I just did a lot of exercise and ate much less.

I would be curious if the human body actually loses weight more easily in the winter, in the summer or if it doesnt matter at all.

My uninformed opinion would be, cold requires more heating and more energy.

I know a couple of bodybuilders; a few weeks before a show they’ll turn down the central heating to keep them constantly burning energy to lose those last few ounces of fat.

I think ramping up the temperature to 30C would equally burn a lot of calories, albeit much less comfortable.

If you want to be healthy you want to know what makes you gain weight, not what makes you lose it. (For simplicity, I say weight here when I mean unwanted unhealthy fat.) Calories are obtain through fat, sugar, and carbs. The difference is how they are digested and metabolized. You will gain weight by eating lots ice cream and soda no matter what the carb content is. Consuming a deficit of anything to induce weight loss is not healthy for everyday life. For it to be sustainable, you need to gain the weight back.

There is something wrong with a weight loss diet that doesn’t force you to give up whatever you’re dreading to give up, as attractive as it seems, when an everyday diet would. People either quit those diets or have to change how they eat. It’s great if you’re selling books or ads because it “works” at first, forces people to stop, and then people are eventually in need of a weight loss diets again. It would be one thing if you were to switch to a new diet when the first one ended, but people don’t.

The second diet would necessitate people giving up whatever they were so relieved not to have to do so in the first diet. (Treat the cause, not the symptom.) No one gives things up because they convince themselves something else is the problem. (Disclaimer: There could be many problems; One change may not be enough; And, switching problems is not an improvement.) A serious cultural problem is that people associate weight loss diets with “healthy” and they do not associate bad things that are not the focus of a weight loss diet with being unhealthy. Just don’t confuse yourselves by thinking whatever is advised/unadvised for weight loss is necessarily healthy/unhealthy.

Without paying too much attention to all the discussion about diets, fat, etc.:
Coffee is simply a drug which might be used to cure some physical problems. It is bitter and actually helps your digestion in small doses. It has lots of more beneficial effects but a lot downsides if consumed in large amounts or in the wrong healthy state. You should not drink more than a cup each day, especially not to fight thirst. I like to drink wine, but only 0.3 l or a little less almost every evening when I am at home. This helps me relax. It could be the same with coffee. Drink a tea or plain, still water to do something against the thirst. If you actually do not see how to like plain water: Do a hike or so. Fresh fruits and water will become quite tasty when your body dehydrates in a naturally manner. I learned this especially during my work as student of hydrogeology while being in Morocco or crossing the Tauern window in the alps by feet. If water is sparse, you begin to like it further and further and it is still the best liquid a human can consume. Leave all the energy intake to more solid food.

However, the first post said, your body refuses coffee already. So, hear your body out and don’t drink it. If I am feeling sick, even looking at something, although I like to consume it from now and then, it is not healthy to me in my current state.