[Competition] Weekly Incremental Jam - The Original Post

The longer it gets though the less special we are :stuck_out_tongue:

I will try to set-up everything and join this time.

Awesome! The competition is fierce :wink:

Will we have a winner or do you prefer all-for-fun?

Weā€™ll have a winner next time, last night was more of a trial run to figure out how the jam is going to work. We realized quickly our current rating system (medals) isnā€™t going to work out!

So who will vote?
Would suggest to make it an internal thing, where every participant makes a ranking list and all get compared to oneā€¦
And maybe some additional, less weighted external inputā€¦

Does the library/framework have to be opensource?

Another suggestion:
Use whatever pre-made stuff you want, but make sure you upload it before the jam starts (ā€¦ ?)

That should be a rule. I donā€™t believe the library has to be open source, but you should at least tell other people what you are using and the library shouldnā€™t be to ā€œover poweredā€. But without a decent library an hour jam is hopeless!

I believe we voted on having people voting on which game is the best, and whoever gets the most votes wins!

Participants can rate other games, but they canā€™t rate the games that they did.
Donā€™t make it internal so other users can also participate.
Also, it is ā€œunfairā€ to give to every participant medals for a simple 1 hour game. We must change this.
My option: Create some vote thread (I donā€™t know if this is possible on this forum, if not, lets use some online site that can do this for us, for example this one. The winner is the participant with more votes. And the ā€œrewardā€, hummm, maybe every participant give medals to the winner.

I said above we are migrating from JGO because spamming medals isnā€™t a good idea. Kpars (Jeviny in the IRC) is the web dev in charge of creating our jam site!

What would be a good time to do the next round (and hopefully future ones)?
Keep in mind that there are differences of even 12h for some people.

On the topic of IRC, I apologize for not being in the channel to chat! I was sleeping. I should be there to talk, now!

But yes, the issue with medals will be fixed before the jam on Saturday starts.

Luckily, Jimmt said we can keep the shiny medals that we currently got from the last competition. ;D

• Jev

@Myself:
7:00 NY, 12:00 MEurT, 19:00 China, 23:00 Russia Magadan
What do you think?

Iā€™m west coast that would make it 4am for me, so I vote, 6am PST, 9 est , 2pm utc ā€¦ etc

2 hours after the time you mentioned

The decision fell on this.

Jev is currently creating the website so the next jam will probably be hosted there.

Perhaps donā€™t have a set competition time and set a day on which to do the hour, and judge them after that day.

We all have overlapping timezones, but not everyoneā€™s overlap in the same place.

We discussed that way, but decided not to use it, because it would splinter the whole thing a lot.

Next competition should start tomorrow! I found somebody who can temporarily host the website until I can get some things at Kemoy fixed.

Weā€™re still having some issues with time zones. If any one of you have any ideas, please leave a reply to this message, as weā€™re trying to find something everybody can agree on.

If you want to chat with us now, Hereā€™s a link to the IRC: http://webchat.esper.net/?channels=#WIJGames

EDIT: If you join the IRC Channel, please use your JGO name. Nicks will not be tolerated.

• Jev

Remember everyone, game jam starts tomorrow! We will have ā€œ2ā€ jams going on at the same time, a one hour jam and a two hour jam! Every week the time increases. Join this channel whenever:
http://webchat.esper.net/?channels=#wijgames