[Competition] Weekly Incremental Jam - The Original Post

Starts in 1 minute.

GET HYPED! :smiley:

• Jev

I want to join, but to late now. 10 seconds to start. Nothing set-up. Can start in the next hour?

Done! ;D

Screenshot:

• Jev

Wait, so we can just host contests all willy nilly? Hmm, then maybe Iā€™ll get one goingā€¦eventuallyā€¦

Well, this is actually becoming a thing it seems. :smiley:

Apparently Iā€™m supposed to make a site for this competition. We plan on doing it every week now, it seems.

• Jev

Haha love that this was just made for an hour of competition. And now its skyrocketing! lol

Thats seems a bit ridiculous. :-\

Actually, you wouldnā€™t believe how ridiculously fun it was to do.

It put me in a coding rush. Iā€™m constantly coding now.

• Jev

Around (I think) 7 of us agreed on every week, so I think itā€™ll be quite fun!

Maybe for future competitions, upload your topic to a central competition site and then link it back to the same topic. It seems a bit ridiculous to have 10+ new 1 hour game jam topics per week with about 50 posts in half an hour.

We are in the process of developing a site for that exact reason, we realized it was stupid to be posting every week. Sorry!

I, for one, will be doing that shortly.

• Jev

It was a fun game jam. Not sure if 1 hour is enough but most people seemed to do fine. Itā€™s probably a good idea to have an idea of what to do before starting as well.

I suggested that the time limit increase by an hour each week (to a point, at which it resets or something) to add an interesting dynamic, a Weekly Incremental Jam, and I believe thatā€™s what theyā€™re going with. Confirmation guys?

Confirmed. 8)

• Jev

Why not a random allocation of time decided at the start?

Preparation. It sort of is random, itā€™s just not decided at the very start of the compo.

We actually have a plan for MiniLD #50. We all thought about trying to make demakes of games we really like, but only in 5-6 hours.

No idea how that will work out.

• Jev

I feel like this would be less fun than an incremental method, as you might have ideas for a design, but then the time is announced and a) you abort your idea because it was too complex/too simple, or b) you go for it anyway and are crushed.

An incremental build of both time constraint and anticipation of results of that constraint is more likely to be fun IMHO.

Damn I fkin missed it :ā€™(.

Host another next weekend?

Oh we will Gibbo! We all had a great time last night, so we will be hosting another jam this Saturday. (at least thatā€™s what we voted on :wink: Deomcracy!) The cool part about the jam is that the length increases by an hour (?) each consecutive jam, so this weekend will be 2 hours long!

So get your graphics libraries ready :wink: