Wurm Online

Wurm Online! It’s going to be great!
http://www.theintraclinic.com/wurm/
It’s a community centric MMORPG where people build and run all the towns.

glances at magicosm :wink:

Hopefully there won’t be any bad blood for our two projects.
I’m fairly sure there’s room for them both, and I’ll probably end up as an active player in both.

Questions? Suggestions?
Oh, and the Jogl port is at http://www.theintraclinic.com/wurmjogl/wurmclient.jnlp. It’s still a bit rough.

[edit: got rid of the href to wurmjogl, since it’s gone now]

[edit: http://www.wurmonline.com/ ]

http://www.wurmonline.com/images/stories/banners/wurmonline_banner.jpg

So far so good.

Ran fine on my 2.4 GHz Geforce 3 win 2k. about 70 FPS.

Looks very promising. I really look forward to the network getting set up and the basic interaction taking place.

Keep up the good work.

Basic networking already is in actually, but since we still haven’t decided on server hosting, the server is only up when I’m testing networking.

When it’s up, you can see other players walking around and chat globally. When it’s not up, you can just walk around… and… eh, that’s it. :wink:

This may sound really stupid… But how do you find the frame rate?

It was written in the upper left corner for me.

NullPointerException :frowning:

at WorldView.getHeight 1166

EDIT: jre1.4.2,redhat 9, geforce2 mx

EDIT 2:
Java Web Start 1.4.2 Konsol, startades Tue Jul 15 19:07:34 CEST 2003
Java 2 Runtime Environment: Version 1.4.2 av Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Cannot change display mode
at java.awt.GraphicsDevice.setDisplayMode(Unknown Source)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient.initGraphics(WurmClient.java:138)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient.init(WurmClient.java:41)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient$4.run(WurmClient.java:256)
Showing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient.clientTick(WurmClient.java:227)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient.run(WurmClient.java:176)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient$4.run(WurmClient.java:259)
Caused by: net.java.games.jogl.GLException: Error making context current
at net.java.games.jogl.impl.x11.X11GLContext.makeCurrent(X11GLContext.java:138)
at net.java.games.jogl.impl.x11.X11OnscreenGLContext.makeCurrent(X11OnscreenGLContext.java:108)
at net.java.games.jogl.impl.GLContext.invokeGL(GLContext.java:156)
at net.java.games.jogl.GLCanvas.displayImpl(GLCanvas.java:179)
at net.java.games.jogl.GLCanvas.display(GLCanvas.java:84)
log.txt

java = “run anywhere as long as you don’t want to use it for anything game related” :wink: ::slight_smile:

Yupp… the framerate is hidden underneath the window with the help text.

Nice that you make it available to the community as it developes instead of holding it back until it’s “finished”. I Think that’s the way to go. Anyway, I’m looking forward to see it progress into an actual game.

wow great start! glad to see so many professional looking Java games recently.

[quote]Caused by: net.java.games.jogl.GLException: Error making context current
at net.java.games.jogl.impl.x11.X11GLContext.makeCurrent(X11GLContext.java: 138)
[/quote]
Yeah, I’m still experiencing some difficulties with Jogl. That’s why the main version still uses LWJGL. :-/

[quote]Nice that you make it available to the community as it developes instead of holding it back until it’s “finished”.
[/quote]
I’m a firm believer in pushing things out as early as possible, as long as you make it clear that it’s not finished. I think the advantages (finding out if you’re on the right track, and early bugreports, efficient branding) outweigh the disadvatages (people stealing your ideas, scaring people off due to ugly early builds).

And thanks all for the nice feedback. Even you, AndersDahlberg. :wink:

[quote]It was written in the upper left corner for me.
[/quote]
Oh. I was hoping there was a program that displays the frame rate for any running program.

Hmm, could it be that you’re requesting a display mode of either 32 or 16 bpp? As linux (to my knowledge at least) doesn’t support changing display mode that could be a problem (most linux systems are running in 24 bpp).

So a fix might be to include a “final resort” of using 24 bpp?

Ooooohhh, sweet :-*

I noticed you switched from LWJGL to JOGL. Did you notice any differences in performance or anything?

Looking with the mouse like in quake and what not would be nice :slight_smile:

Greetings,
Erik

[quote]Hmm, could it be that you’re requesting a display mode of either 32 or 16 bpp?
[/quote]
Maybe… I just uploaded a new version that only requires 3 bit color and 1 bit depth buffer.

But it’s supposed to just keep going in windowed mode, if it fails to switch to fullscreen mode.

[quote]I noticed you switched from LWJGL to JOGL. Did you notice any differences in performance or anything?
[/quote]
Yeah, I can’t use the splash screen thing any more. :wink:
Other than that, the FPS are about 10-20% lower now, but that’s probably due to me drawing all vertices manually.

And I just noticed I lost both the clouds and the water somewhere in the versions. Good thing I keep regular backups.

Nah, didn’t help - I still get a pop-up saying there is a NPE at WorldView.getHeight and the log gives the above warning about unable to set display mode :frowning:

I guess it’s those pesky “jugglers” who can’t make a working api - even when they have stuff to copy from MUAHAHAHAHAHA :wink:

Fire the “laser”! ;D

Does the LWJGL version work for you?

Cool, a day/night cycle! :smiley:

Looks very good already. Maybe the sunsets could be more colourful and maybe it would look even better if you made sun appear larger when it’s closer to the horizon and smaller when it’s right above you (just like in real life).
I also think the terrain should appear be a bit darker at night than it is now.

Haha, we have had LONG discussions on how dark nighttime should be.

It’ll probably turn into a client setting later on, as it’s really not supposed to affect gameplay. (and it’s easy to hack around anyway)

There’ll be more atmospheric effects and weather and stuff… it’s all pretty easy to code (well, except for “real” snow), it’s just more a matter of design.

The LWJGL version doesn’t work for me…it’s the usual No-fullscreen-with-LWJGL-after-a-swing-component-has-been-used-bug (the Webstart-client in this case) that i always have, no matter what LWJGL, driver or VM version i’m using… (and that has (almost) been ignored from day one) >:(
The jogl version works but the polys are flashing when moving (looks like the depthbuffer goes crazy somehow)…here’s a shot (quite large because it’s a png): http://www.jpct.net/pics/buggy.png

System is a P4HT@3.2Ghz running Win XP home with an ATI Radeon 9700pro using the Cat3.5 drivers.

Whoa, that’s odd… It doesn’t look like the depthbuffer is totally missing, as the trees work… But the ground is buh-roken.

Does the ground always overlap the closer ground at that range, or does it change at random?

[quote]Does the ground always overlap the closer ground at that range, or does it change at random?
[/quote]
More or less random but only if i’m rotating or moving around. If i’m standing still, everything seems to be fine.