Wurm Online

Well… that’s just weird. I’m going to have to reread a bunch of code, methinks.

AndersDahlberg: I think I’ve solved the bug you reported. jogl is really sensive about what threads can do what. :wink:

I think it’s workin for me, i ran it an dit came right up and dropped me on what looke dlike a stone platform, but I coudlnt’ seem to move around. Any ideas?

-Chris

The arrow keys should work as long as the window has focus.

it ran for me but I got no textures, only gray shades. perhaps this crappy little TNT card can’t handle it.

Don’t listen to zparticle, he just creates problems! :slight_smile:

I did want to ask what terrain techniques are you using? What is the resolution of your terrain? Also, is your sky a skyplane, or skydome?

EDIT: Works now - just that it hanged when I clicked/used scroll wheel on the “swing textarea” :-[

Looked great as long as it worked though ;D

TNT is not supported, no. :wink:
We’re shooting for a target computer that has at least a GF2.

AndersDahlberg: Yeah, I thought that might happen… It will probably go away when I clean the code up.

Mojomonkey: It’s just a very basic LODed heightmap. The smallest tile size is 4x4 meters. For mesh LOD 0, each triangle pair (two tris per tile) uses a full resolution texture. For LODs 1 through 3, I produce the textures dynamically based on the terrain information. For higher (or lower, depending on your view) there’s just a generic texture.
The system is optimised for streaming the terrain data from the server, with full detail for the nearest 500 meters in each direction, and just basic scaled down heightmap data up to two kilometers in each direction.

I’ve also tweaked the random terrain generation code to put emphasis on the nodes that fit in the higher (or lower, if you prefer) LODs.

The terrain looks very nice… what kind of rendering are you using (ROAM / CLOD / Brute force etc…)?

[quote]it’s the usual No-fullscreen-with-LWJGL-after-a-swing-component-has-been-used-bug
[/quote]
Have you tried disabling all d3d/ddraw options using runtime switches?

[quote]Have you tried disabling all d3d/ddraw options using runtime switches?
[/quote]
Too bad it is difficult to do that for Web Start… since it is launched automatically for jnlp files… it would be system/browser dependent :frowning:

[quote]Too bad it is difficult to do that for Web Start…
[/quote]
You could try to add the following lines to the (cached) jnlp file of Wurm Online, in the element:

I guess that might work, so long as WebStart ran the app in a new VM. WebStart itself will have started and likely popped up a ‘downloading’ GUI before any of those parameters could be read.

It would make for an interesting experiment anyway.

[quote]The terrain looks very nice… what kind of rendering are you using (ROAM / CLOD / Brute force etc…)?
[/quote]
As I said, it’s very brute-force-ish. :wink:

I implemented ROAM just to see how it worked, and I got slightly better results in the heightmap, but ran into rather big problems when it came to the dynamic textures.

I realize that brute-force terrain mipping is not as “cool”, but it seems to do the trick well enough, while leaving the code simple enough to keep it relatively bug free.

Regarding the LWJGL-fullscreen-failing-after-swing component bug, I have contacted the ATI CATALYST team, and awaiting their response. The crash is happening in wglMakeCurrent. The parameters passed to it, is fine - and even if they weren’t it still shouldn’t crash inside that method!

just a crazy suggestion:

wglMakeContextCurrent (instead of wglMakeCurrent) is used when dealing with Pbuffers. Maybe the same call has to be used in the gl window? It’s an extension so it have to be detected, but it’ worth a try.

• elias

Promoted the Jogl version to the main version, and got rid of the LWJGL version.

The only url now is http://www.theintraclinic.com/wurm/, and /wurmjogl/ is gone.

Nothing but errors for me:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no timer in java.library.path
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at com.dnsalias.java.timer.windows.WindowsTimer.loadLibrary(WindowsTimer.java:30)
at com.dnsalias.java.timer.windows.WindowsTimer.available(WindowsTimer.java:18)
at com.dnsalias.java.timer.AdvancedTimer.init(AdvancedTimer.java:33)
at com.dnsalias.java.timer.AdvancedTimer.(AdvancedTimer.java:25)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient.run(WurmClient.java:177)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient$4.run(WurmClient.java:256)
14 fps
20 fps
18 fps
20 fps
18 fps
18 fps
java.net.SocketException: Address family not supported by protocol family: no further information
at sun.nio.ch.DatagramChannelImpl.disconnect0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.DatagramChannelImpl.disconnect(Unknown Source)
at org.rubberbrain.util.udp.UdpClient.disconnect(UdpClient.java:57)
at org.rubberbrain.rhyme.RhymeClient.disconnect(RhymeClient.java:184)
at com.wurmonline.client.gui.WorldView.disconnect(WorldView.java:842)
at com.wurmonline.client.gui.WorldView.clientTick(WorldView.java:781)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient.clientTick(WurmClient.java:221)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient.run(WurmClient.java:208)
at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClient$4.run(WurmClient.java:256)

the message window also constantly reports GLERRORs. When I try to force quit, my computer crashes.

Windows XP Pro
Java 1.4.2
P4 2GHz
512M RAM
Intel 82845G/GL Graphics (built into Dell motherboard)

Ah, I think I know what caused the first stacktrace, and the second one is known, but not fatal. It happens when the UDP package tries to disconnect from the server.

As for the GL errors, I blame your drivers and/or card. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback!

[edit: Typo]

[edit2:]

Yep, fixed the first error. I had forgotten to include the native libs for the gagetimer for win32.

[quote]As for the GL errors, I blame your drivers and/or card. :wink:
[/quote]
Edit: I had posted a text about not being too sure that it’s driver related here…forget it! ATI released the Cat 3.6 today (or yesterday) and the problem with the jogl version is gone now!! No more graphics glitches.

0.0.13a is up

To quote the annoying popup:

`New in 0.0.13a:
[]The trees now work the way they’re supposed to
[
]Swimming!

`

Framerate is bound to be horrible. I’m getting ~60 fps in this version.
I’ll optimise the tree culling further… As it is now, I get the same fps with tree culling on as I do when it’s off, and the culling strips about two thirds of the trees. :wink: