Who would you consider a programmer?

I have a beard (Well trimmed), long hair (Because it’s cheap), and good clothing (In fact, I have pairs of pants and shirts that I’m still wearing after eight years and they still look good).

I got ‘-70’ Geek. Because I tend to do the pile of Meat… However, I take issue with the ‘Hang out with Friends’ being a positive. I mean seriously, I go out and play Magic the Gathering with them and Arkham Horror. How do those not increase my geek quotient?

The quiz seems off by little. I picked “Virgin” yet no boost.

wth… there are so many people playin mtg… intresting…

Off or ontopic, whatever:
To the stuff about HTML:
You can’t do anything in html, unless you include scripts, for example javascript. Then you are able to make calculators or something like that. But only writing html is like drawing, but with “code”. It’s like you save animation stuff about your sprites in XML files, you still can’t calculate with xml (Exept you’re Matthias Mann or mess around in TWL Theme files… ). It’s something which declares stuff, something what says how it has to look like, you can’t programm any calculators with html.

Joke time!

<iframe src="http://www.online-calculator.com" />

:cranky:

It’s all about the complexity of the algorithmic/structural/processing problems you are able to solve. In programming we are often solving logical problems symbolically, but a sound engineer is solving a complex processing problem visually. But that’s not stopping a graphic designer from building a calculator in minecraft.

p.s. I got Geek -50 because I drink tea, listen to classical music when I work (sometimes it’s Samba, Gospel or Electronica) and :persecutioncomplex: some personal stuff … yeah :wink:

Really does feel like the Brogrammers test was written by other varieties of geek, eh? I drink it when I’m feeling posh. And Classical should count. Especially if you’re listening to the more obscure artists or enjoy certain Thematically geek operas (Like tell me you don’t feel like a geek when you hear O Fortuna from Carmina Buruna.)

You can make webpages. :cranky:

You know, the actual purpose of the language? Complaining about HTML not being (usually) able to do things beyond its purpose is like complaining a hammer is no good at sawing off wood…

… you HTML-phobe! :stuck_out_tongue:

Real programmers can saw wood … with HTML … true stories :stuck_out_tongue:

1. I’d like to correct myself: You can’t calculate or execute tasks in HTML. The “language” HTML is not turing-complete!
  2. I don’t complain about HTML itself. It does it task, and that beautifully, even at the moment I’m writing this. But it’s task is NOT to compute anything, and people telling you to be programmer, only because they are able to do things in HTML (in this case Webdesign) is IMO wrong. They aren’t, unless - as said often enough - they do something with scripts in HTML (like for example JavaScript…). People who “write” in HTML aren’t programmers, they are usually called webdesigner.

Its how you bring it really, much like it isn’t a good idea (and also a lie) to say that housewives don’t work :wink:

I have a huge respect for webdesigners, they do things I will never be able to do. I can hammer out HTML like the rest, but I’ll never be able to pick a proper color palette and define an overall look & feel for example, I have to steal that from others. But they’re not programmers because HTML and CSS are not programming languages, Its as simple as that. It starts to become vague when you include Javascript into the mix though, especially nowadays.

Woah… finally someone who sums up just what I wanted to say. Yes I have respect for webdesigners. I just wanted to say that they aren’t programmers, they are webdesigners. And then there is the exception with JavaScript.
Perfect, thank you :slight_smile:

Actually, programming is just translating a concept or idea to a format (algorithm) that a computer can understand (parse).

Designing a WebSite (Color, composition, layout) is completely different from translating it to HTML for the web browsers to process.

In fact, designers will rarely code HTML, and will either use design tools, or rely on coders to do it.

HTML might not be the most flexible language in the world, but even the presentation of static information requires a certain level of competence, specially if you start mucking about with CSS, crosslinking and the like.

Now, you might say that by my definition, someone typing in Word is a programmer because she is translating an idea to computer format. But the thing is, Word abstracts that step and handles the actual translation.

On the other hand, someone implementing the very same document in LaTeX, for example, is actually programming, as the resulting algorithm is then parsed into the final document.

The ridiculous part of this thread (and why I’m actually going about this half-jokingly, sorry if I seem to be too serious) is the assumption that being a programmer requires either a certain level of skill, or the use of certain tools. It’s just as silly as the whole Casual vs Hardcore debate. Strictly speaking, a gamer is someone who plays games, regardless of genre, difficulty, or age bracket. Conversely, a programmer is strictly someone who implements code to be parsed by software, regardless of what the code is or what it is written on. It’s just as silly to say that you’re only a Gamer if you play hardcore FPSeses than to say you’re only a Programmer if you can hack away at Assembler blindfolded.

Now, if we go into the philosophical issue of who consider themselves programmers as a self imposed label that defines them, then that’s a different issue altogether (Which was what I meant with my original “you have to like it” post).

Also, technically a programmer is someone able to program a video recorder, or to decide the time slots for TV programs. ::slight_smile:

I guess I don’t qualify…no TV, no video recorders.

Don’t fret, programming a video recorder is an ancient art lost to the sands of time, only mastered by dedicated Tibetan monks and that weird aunt who couldn’t miss her soaps.

Don’t make me say computer software programmer each and every time on a website that deals with a subset of computer software programming :frowning:

This all reminds me of the pointless and lame hair-splitting attempts to precisely differentiate the terms “nerd” and “geek”.

A programmer programs. And by extension, if they’re doing that, they’re usually not obsessed with the classification of other people.

Making the computer do things by editing stuff is programming. It comes in many flavours and complexities, all the way from setting an alarm clock in Android - yes, that’s programming it to do something - to fiddling with switches on a data bank programming machine code backwards in octal.

Cas :slight_smile:

Who are we trying to convince of what again? :expressionless:

People to spend more time on the wiki.