Who would you consider a programmer?

This thread is beyond salvation.

You are considered a programmer if you have once killed the illusive artificially sweetened kangaroo elf.

Now everybody go back to work. We need some games in the showcase, mkay?

Eli said:

[quote]I like to program, but I get tired of doing it 45+ hours per week.
[/quote]
Yeah, I’m actually very lucky that my current job keeps presenting interesting programming challenges. Other jobs I’ve had bore me to tears, and it really had an impact on my productivity and mental health.

Now I’m in a rare position where once I’m off work, I have enough ideas boucing around my head I can easily get coding my own projects. :slight_smile:

Roquen said:

[quote]Management sucks.
[/quote]
Yeah, it’s far from what people believe it to be, but that’s the thing, most people focus on what they see as problems now, and fail to see the difficulties of a future position. I have the feeling I’ll be dragged kicking and screaming into a management position in the not so far future (mainly when I’m the most experienced developer around and the new hires need to be herded into usefulness) :clue:

Cero said:

[quote]Nah, you are what you do.
[/quote]
Well, of course, but I was under the impression that this thread aimed at being a bit more philosophical about it.
On the other hand, I call myself a “programmer”, while most of my colleagues prefer to refer to themselves as “developers” or “computer technicians” (Actually the spanish generic word for Computer Science people is “Informaticos”, not sure what the english term is). That was my point about “liking” it.

Riven said:

[quote]You are considered a programmer if you have once killed the illusive artifically sweetened kangaroo elf.
[/quote]
Well, of course, but haven’t we all?

Well, of course, but haven’t we all?
[/quote]
Tastes like chicken.

People whose use semicolon too much can be granted to be programmers, but not all programmers use semicolon. I considered HTML and Basic when wrote it, but still it’s valid 8)

Someone “writing” HTML is not a programmer for me. Never. Ever.
Only one, who is using Javascript… but then he would write Javascript…

Writing HTML is writing a logical script of commands, which a parser executes to do something intended.
Its as much programming as Java or C++ is.

I think the question here is more: “Who do I consider ‘Da Cool’ Programma”

In the end only someone writing in Assembler is a true programmer, since he is creating the actual machine program. (with some convenience functions)
(the most bare being someone using a HEX Editor to write programs)

Others are compiler/parser programmaker users :wink:

And then you see people do things with HTML that make your innards shrivel with envy…

Let’s face it, a true programmer can do magic with a freaking Abacus.

Serious Note: Really, Programming Language rivalries are as moronic as Console Wars… They are just tools. :cranky:

Am pretty sure we all know the biggest secret of knowing who’s a programmer…

Having a beard or long hair… Or both & if not that cloths that just say “meh”.
But yeah if not they things I think you can tell if you start having a conversation about programming what tools, engine you use etc. :slight_smile:

Bearded programmers are the worst :wink:

Bearded programmers are so 80’s

or hipsters
or waiting for gillette to offer them 1million

You could always check if you qualify using the brogrammer quiz, could be near enough :slight_smile:

http://areyouabrogrammer.com/

Scripter: Scripts around, familiar with 1 programming language. Able to make a calculator
Coder: Does code for programs or for the web. Familiar with at least 2 programming languages. Able to make a networked game
Programmer: Same as Coder but also knows the fundamentals of how computers work. Years of experience with at least 2 languages and familiar with others. Able to make a compiler
Hacker: Knows all of the above + intimately familiar with unix and years of experience as a sysadmin.

I have both and I wear a hat.

Which should get me to Notch level at the very least. 8)

No, you need to be also bald.

(Its a principle of thermodynamics)

Curses! Why am I the only man who does not wear a hat to hide baldness? 8)

Has the funny side-effect that people might think you ARE bald.

What a double bluff. :persecutioncomplex:

I’m a -75, aka a geek! W000t XD

I dont think that’s necessary.

EDIT: from brogrammer, I’m a standard nerd!

Standard nerd for me too.

Well…I reconsidered my answer to the last question, and now I’m a -95…standard nerd :frowning: