What You Do When You are Burnt Out

What do you guys do when you are either rather burnt out on programming or need to figure out something?
I personally play my guitar and play Minecraft (Classic teenager here :wink: ).

I usually either forget about coding all together for a few days to a few weeks and then one day Iā€™ll think up some easy solution to whatever problem had me burnt out and Iā€™ll go back. Some of the main things that I do during my ā€˜burnt-outā€™ time would be to play the odd game, read up on programming.reddit, java.reddit, coding.reddit, etcā€¦ learn some more math, watch shows or watch a movie.

Embrace the flames! MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I try to just re-focus more than go do something else. I know if I play a game, I wonā€™t stop playing it.

If I do play a game however, I want to play something similar to what iā€™m creating, but unfortunately, there isnā€™t anything similar to what iā€™m creating, and the games that are close, I will want to invest hours and hours in, and become a little addicted :stuck_out_tongue:

I just sit back for a couple seconds and think about the problem. Weirdly enough, that usually solves it. When I was taking high school computer science I would get stuck on a problem, the class would end and I would figure out the problem to my answer almost 5 minutes after! Mad me so mad.

Yeah Iā€™m taking my high school java class for an easy A this year (Hopefully). I bet thatā€™ll happen with me ;). Freshman yearā€™s gonna be interestingā€¦

Sometimes Iā€™ll be stuck on some code design problem or algorithm design problem and Iā€™ll sit there in front of my computer for hours getting head-aches, growing frustrated and (sometimes) cursing at the IDE for doing stupid annoying things that waste my time (like loseing sync with resource files etcā€¦)

Then I figured out that that really just makes the entire process a lot more painful - and doing something relaxing with the problem in mind, you will usually muster up a solution in a few hours.

So I would just get something to eat, watch TV etc when Iā€™m burnt out. Iā€™m typically not burnt our for longer than two or three hours though. Except - err merr gerrd - I take Electrical Engineering courses at university and over the summer I have virtually 0 time to do any Java programming, they put you in C on microcontrollers and VHDL\Verilog with PLDs and you really get nothing much relevant to Javaā€¦ So recently I havenā€™t done much programming during my days at university (going back in a month nowā€¦)

You guys wait until you get some sort of development job (if you ever plan to). I love Java, but after doing PHP for 8 hours a day, itā€™s hard to come home and open eclipse.

I actually really want to be a pilot, and develop programs on the side as just a hobby! Iā€™ve found that giving me deadlines for my coding projects really stresses me out to the point where I write bad code, delete entire projects and end up screaming at my computer at some points. I donā€™t handle stress well apparently :stuck_out_tongue: However, giving me a deadline also motivates me a lot to learn more and strive for harder goals, so maybe Iā€™m stressed out because I end up having to research for the first half of the deadline and then actually cram coding into the second half. As a hobby, its really nice to come home after a long day and just relax and code something that doesnā€™t require me to research hours upon hours of stuff. But thatā€™s just me!

When Iā€™m too burnt out to program, I help those that arenā€™t.

This. I feel like Iā€™m just starting to get to the point where I can offer useful advice to others and it really makes me happy. I also learn a lot along the way, so itā€™s a win-win.

Spend too much time on this forum as of late :V

I go to work and program anyway. :point:

I donā€™t every really get burnt out on programming, what usually happens is a get burnt out on a project. So I just switch to working on a different project ;D granted jumping from project to project isnā€™t very productive for any one project but it keeps me interested and having fun. However on the rare occasion that I do get burnt out on programming or just donā€™t feel like programming I usually go play a game that someone else made. Playing other games also helps me come up with ideas for the games Iā€™m working on.

I usually go play other game, maybe record a video for youtube, and complain that nobody watches is or comment on it and hm, well, i suggest you to get a girlfriend if you dont have one.

Or go to troll at some game, i suggest a f2p game.

Reddit and Battlefield 3. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been doing for the past few monthsā€¦ :persecutioncomplex:

Reddit, TF2, or maybe even do something Iā€™m actually supposed to be doingā€¦

Movies, 3DS, NDS, PSP, Cable TV, or just Fixing something on the house. The problem when I do gaming and I play a long game, I forget about coding for months. ;*(

If Iā€™m burnt, at first Iā€™ll say ā€œHelp! Doctor!ā€ (joke)

If Iā€™m burnt in programming, Iā€™ll first shuts off my computer and switch on my TV and go to ā€œComedyā€ channel. Or, Iā€™ll sleep for a time.

• Light level: change project
  • Medium level: change to project with different language
  • Hard level: procras for about 2-3h and come back later
  • Fatal level: waste the day

Can i change that a bit to adequate to my life??

• Light level: Music, probably metallica or some youtube Video
  • Medium level: Play Battlefield or Some other PC game
  • Hard level: Call my future gf
  • Fatal level: Go to Sleep and hopefully god will bring the answer in my sleep.

Well.
Idk