What You Do When You are Burnt Out

Oh really… what is your Battlefield IGN, we might as well procrastinate together.

I ended up not program or doing any gamedev for almost 7+ months. I got burnt out big time(combined with other things). But also life sometimes got in the way/distraction.

But typically, play a game, go watch a movie or do something different.

Maybe learn something new, a musical instrument, 3D modeling.

I do Java/Ada/C/C++ about 7.5 hours a day and I open Eclipse when I’m back home. When I’m at work, I’ve no choice, I just earn money to make a (not too much unpleasant) job, it’s like being forced to eat bad food :frowning: When it becomes really impossible to undergo, I will find another job and so on…

When I’m at home, I’m happy to open Eclipse Kepler and Netbeans, I like spending time in my own source code (and in the source code of other people too), it’s rather like proposing a pretty woman to come to see me every day, I say to myself “I’m gonna turn you on”… You see what I mean ;D

Andre, you make me laugh ;D

I don’t get any burn out when programming but sometimes my personal problems prevent me from having enough available intellectual resources and spare time for my projects. Anyway, I don’t watch TV, I prefer posting my videos on GNU Mediagoblin (I will move my Youtube videos into this service), I don’t wait for being fed up to play with video games or going to restaurants. I write a lot. I don’t have any problem of audience unlike Andre (one of my videos has been seen more than 20 000 times, I have received almost 900 000 visits on my previous blog and about 130 000 on my current one) but I’m not obsessed by this aspect.

ra4king1, let’s play! :smiley:

Yeah well, they say that behind every good programmer theres a hot chick.
Well, im trying to be a good programmer.

LOL

jking :stuck_out_tongue:

You know i was just kidding, right?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Well, that sounds sad…

zngga, but I play on PS3… oh well.

For the sake of pleasing the On-Topic-Gods, I normally take a temporary hiatus from programming. Temporary: ranging anywhere from a couple hours to a couple years… Sometimes I will even play some Battlefield 3 with awesome people from awesome forum sites if those people so happen to be awesome enough to own a PlayStation! :emo:

When I am really stuck on a programming problem that I ‘have to figure out’… yeah, that kind of ‘have’… then I like to just sit and do absolutely nothing for a couple minutes, normally I can go back with fresh eyes. Otherwise I follow this very informative flow chart

Then, I’m trying to be a good programmer too 8) Yes you were kidding… a bit.

Beside doing my actual work to finish studying at university?

• hiking
  • cooking
  • playing a game

When I’m burnt out, I go play a good game of dota with mates. If I’m burnt out of dota, I just write programming tutorials.

I play with myself.

Hm? Oh! I mean I play single player games.

Yeah, “playing with yourself” is obviously in “single player games” category ;D

I love you ReBirth. Its so amazing how you turned that sexual again :slight_smile:

I usually meditate if I am raging over a contradicting issue with gameplay.

If it’s in programming rather than design, I just play TF2 or Minecraft.
Or sometimes, I’ll just toy around with things in Java. That’s how you learn! It’s not just coding in general that burns you out,
it’s seeing the same code constantly.

• Jev.

1: Calm down
2: Quit
3: Minecraft
4: Creep-- … !
5: RAGE!!!
6: Screw this! Programming is far more fun!
7: Realize that the problem was stupidly simple
8: Program. If burnt, see step 1-8.

My sentence is right, literally.

Haha, that doesn’t make any sense but my feelings for you haven’t changed!

ReBirth is the ‘spethal’ guy of JGO. We all love him.

I should have said computer games, now you’ve stolen my joke which totally was never used a million times earlier :frowning:

Take a break for a few days and center my thoughts around exactly what it is I want to accomplish with my code.