We Shall Wake demo (v6.0)

We Shall Wake
Blog link
Download link

Hello, everyone. I thought it was about time that I threw up what I’ve been working on for almost two years now. I’m the graphics and physics programmer for this project. We’re two programmers on the project; me and SkyAphid, who’s not very active on this forum anymore. We also have two people working on character modelling, a concept artist and an environmental designer.

ABOUT WE SHALL WAKE

Thousands of years after the extinction of the human race, and hundreds after the extinction of an alien race simply known as the Creators, you wake up in a desolate tower inhabited by robots incapable of true emotion, acting simply as simulations for the long gone forerunners.

You are a MORS model, the most advanced machine ever created - capable of true human emotion, and possessing a bio-mechanical body that can cause mass destruction. You must choose whose side you will take in a war between three factions…if any.

However, you are not alone - other MORS models have different ideals and philosophies they wish to enforce, and it’s up to you to decide whether or not they are right.

We Shall Wake is a high-speed action game, being developed by Circadian.

We’re aiming at high speed gameplay with flexible and versatile movement and combat systems.

We have a YouTube channel too if you’re interested in keeping up with the project, if blogs aren’t your thing.

gu0iCRxYtEA

Wow, looks amazing from the screenshots. Downloading it right now.

Got this error after clicking Play.

Full Log file

My GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce 210 with latest drivers.

Looks very interesting, somehow this reminds me of a modern take on classic beat’em’ups like Streets of Rage and Double Dragon. I guess from the fighting style? :wink:

Either your drivers are outdated and/or the driver erroneously reports that it supports gather4 when it doesn’t. I’ll take a look at it when I get home.

EDIT: Try replacing tex2Dgather() with textureGather() in merge.frag and see if it works. Never mind, the shaders are packed into the exe/jar.

I’ve sent you a PM, SHC.

wont run, i assume this is a driver problem again.
http://pastebin.com/i6W86UkM

the video looks amazing but where do i get the neural accelerator implant to be able to react fast enough?

I’ve uploaded an updated version (uses the same link) that has numerous bugfixes. Try the new version if you’ve already downloaded it before.

[quote]Looks very interesting, somehow this reminds me of a modern take on classic beat’em’ups like Streets of Rage and Double Dragon. I guess from the fighting style? :wink:
[/quote]
It’s actually based on the gameplay from Prototype - with combat influences from Devil May Cry 3 and 4.

Gigantic props to both of you, this looks very promising. :smiley:

Well the story seems a little like Casshern Sins.

The movement, camera angles, jumping, dashing, and combat is so damn fluid and satisfying that it is a shame that this will never go outdoors into city like scape.

Gripes: UI theme seems to clash a bit with the rest of the art style at least to me. UI menu is a little small. Odd that the tittle and logos are not in the center of the screen on start up.

Performance wise it went perfectly smooth. Loading took a bit but I am not on a ssd.

Many projects have come out that really show quality recently here and I am blown away. I haven’t coded a line of java in months. Really been slacking off.

Looks like your GPU/driver does not support OpenGL 3.2. What’s GPU do you have?

Appreciate for pendulum in the gameplay haha ;D
Unfortunately i couldn’t test the game as i am on Java 6 (version 7 is available from OS X Lion :c ), so i am judging it by the yt video.
The game looks glorious, love the art style,whole thing looks like AAA to me :stuck_out_tongue:
Those metal cling sfx on hit really add immersion, makes you believe the models are really made out of metal.
Animations are awesome, are they hand-made, downloaded or recorded?
Also, will there be multiplayer ::slight_smile: ? and witch platforms do you plan to support? Maybe go all the way for PS4 and XBone? THAT would be awesome.
Good luck!

Thanks!

The animations are handmade by SkyAphid.

We have plans for things like 4-player coop mode against hordes of AI robots. We only intend to support PC, as we don’t have any experience with console development. Controller support and single machine 4 player split screen is planned though.

AAA.

I found an error when I pressed a menu title. It played the same ‘select’ sound in repeat, and I could’t get it to stop.
I am using a dedicated audio card, (Asus XONAR DGX) if that helps.

Here’s the log:

Added game.gui.menus.ConfigGraphicsMenu@15b204a1
OggData restart() Unqueue Buffer: No Error
OggData restart() Unqueue Buffer: Invalid Value
Exception in thread "Thread-12" java.nio.BufferOverflowException
	at java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.put(Unknown Source)
	at engine.sound.util.OggInputStream.read(OggInputStream.java:179)
	at engine.sound.codec.OggData.stream(OggCodec.java:272)
	at engine.sound.codec.OggData.playMusic(OggCodec.java:202)
	at engine.sound.codec.OggData.loop(OggCodec.java:252)
	at engine.sound.codec.OggData.update(OggCodec.java:156)
	at engine.sound.codec.OggManager.run(OggCodec.java:111)
java.nio.BufferOverflowException
	at java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.put(Unknown Source)
	at engine.sound.util.OggInputStream.read(OggInputStream.java:179)
	at engine.sound.codec.OggData.stream(OggCodec.java:272)
	at engine.sound.codec.OggData.playMusic(OggCodec.java:202)
	at engine.sound.codec.OggCodec.playSound(OggCodec.java:47)
	at engine.sound.Sound.play(Sound.java:211)
	at game.state.StateMainMenu.update(StateMainMenu.java:106)
	at game.core.Core.update(Core.java:206)
	at game.core.framework.GameFramework.step(GameFramework.java:50)
	at game.core.Core.run(Core.java:170)
	at game.core.Core.main(Core.java:143)
Source Queue Buffers: No Error
Source Play: No Error
Source Play Success: true

Full log here: http://pastebin.com/FL9puiGA

Alright, we’ll take a look at it! Thanks for testing and including the log!

I’ve managed to reproduce the problem, and I’m fixing it now.

Freezes during loading screen, or kinda slightly after loading but before any game.

No gamepad support. Now come on guys - you really wanna play a game like this with a keyboard ? ^^’

Long time fan of these games: DMC 3, 4, Bayonetta, Prototype, Infamous, MGS Rising. Actually did some DMC 3 and mostly 4 speedruns back then, so this excites me. Would love a well written story of course… x)

Null pointer exception bug fixed! Way too simple error… ._. If possible, try updating your graphics drivers as the bug was in the fallback code for when a newer function wasn’t supported, so if the latest driver has support for it it should work.

I believe game pad support didn’t make it for the latest version. We’re currenlty working on some bug fixing; me on a few new graphics engine bugs that emerged, and SkyAphid on the sound engine.