[Wanted] Developers, Pixel Artists and Bgfxr

Hello there.

Me and a friend (Nathan Kramber, ‘Stone Pickaxes’) are making a multiplayer pvp platform sandbox game (hell yeah , lol). This is my second java game., the first one i stopped at like 5%.

We arent experts game devs, however i belive we have organized code and it works very smooth. We havethe basic game engine ready such as walkin/collisions etc, and we are looking for developers who are willing to help to create the game. Im going to try to describe the game more:

Its a platform game, however when players can build/destroy blocks (such as terraria).
The game should work at multiplayer, when players join a fight somehow simillar to dota/league of legends and so on.
In-game players have roles to fill, they gather resources to build and get better stuff. Theyr goal would be something like capturing the flag of the other team or killing em all, or destroyng a crystal inside theyr fortress something like that.
We plan to release it to PC , Facebook and Android.

The game concept is still open and we still discuss how this game will work, if you find this intresting please contact me so you can help us creating a good indie game ^^

Here is a demo we have so far: http://199.168.136.162/Kom.jar

Would apreciate any tips,help and of course if you want to join our team ^^

Thanks for the attention !

PS: The only API we using so far is tinysound

I think the game looks neat in it’s current state. I suggest that you just work on it between you two. Many small teams like that have been successful at making a nice-looking game (read: Castle Story).
Having too many work on a game from the absolute start can really spoil the code, and the game.

Thanks for your tip, i will take that in count.

But we arent still very skilled at Java so if anyone with good skills is intrested it would be good to the project i guess.

Anyway thanks for your kind words and comment.This game has 6-7 days of existances still so its on its very early stage, we are working hard on it so i hope its good till a month comes ^^

Thanks for your attention !

I see you changed the title :slight_smile: Having an artist is good, and someone whom can make sound as well if you can’t yourselves. You know… those things that will be really amputated if programmers do it.
I think bfxr will serve you well, as for sound FX.

Even in large scale software the amount of programmers is kept down a lot. Having a lot of people work in the same exact code rarely turns out good. Else, it should be for making very specific pieces of the software individually. That way it’ll be easy to plug-in the code. However, with Java you rarely need specific features like xml-loading, or OpenAL bindings. They’re already there! :smiley:

Good luck on the game! Roger, out.

Thanks for poiting this out,im seriously gonna take it in advance.

Changed the title so we also need bfxrs hehe ^^ Thanks alot for your attention , i apreaciate any tips or suggestions !

I think you misunderstood the bfxr part :slight_smile: It’s a free small application you can use to create sound FX for your game. It has an old school feel to it, and you can create a wiiiiide range of FX with it. It’s also very easy to use.

You don’t need someone to do that for you - it’s so you can spare someone the work. Even if you unfamiliar with the software, you just hit the random-button and you’re off :slight_smile:

bfxr.net

And… and whats sfxr then? A rip off? :smiley:

i belive people that knows how to make sound effects and musics, isnt that it ? ^^

if its not, sorry tell me ill fix it in the topic title, its what ive meant hehe

[quote=“matheus23,post:7,topic:39445”]
I believe it’s the other way around. I think bfxr has the most features though. Maybe sfxr has moved since I last checked it out. Correct me!

well thats what i would need, but i still belive a coder is important :frowning: me and nathan are still beginners and we are not being able to fix some bugs, while the game looks cool from outside and somehow the code is organized, some things simply doesnt work as they should, so an experienced dev would really help ^^

This is a new version of the game, now u can place dirt tiles !
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15644623/Kom.jar

Placing the tiles feels all wonky because of how they are placed relative to the mouse. Should make it so the highlighted tile space does not change until mouse is outside the square. Right now its all funky.

Also, you bum into walls to easily. I can barely move around without bumping into stuff.

Are those your own tiles and sprites? What style of sfx are you going for? Give a little more info or description on what these positions require. I am not do bad at doing more detailed and less retro looking artwork. But I absolutely suck at pixel art.

Hi

thanks for your suggestions, i couldnt manage to fix the tile selecion algorithm :frowning: But ive made bumping only when almost max speed !

About the artwork, its all created sprites by me from scratch.

About what it would require, i would prefer a pixel artist cause else i would need to change resolution but if you show me you can do some cool sprites animations ur in :stuck_out_tongue: It would be somehow a medieval looking game.

Im finishing some menu windows and ill post next updates.

Thanks for the attention !

The tiles look good and so does the little dude.

Here is meh trying to put some cool armor on him.

http://s12.postimage.org/8xc7z839l/knight.png[/

http://s12.postimage.org/i6ee9cc5l/knigh2t.png[/

I could polish it a bit more. I am not sure how big the sprites can be so the armor is not all that amory looking. (no pauldrons/spaulders or spikes…I like spikes)

Not that I’m an experienced developer, but what exactly is it that you need help in? Finishing up the game, consulting, small help here and there tackling bugs, code structure…?

Hey =]

I liked this knight, but still i belive the games get an ‘easy way to see’ in pixelarted, but the thing is, i have trouble making good and smooth animations for the character… if you can make out for example nice weapons-swing animations i would def. use ur sprites ^^

About developing, im not really sure what i want, but def. some lookup to code structures if we building a future bottleneck. But when i say an experienced developer i actually doesnt want someone who is a code master , i want someone who knows what to do, this is my first java 2d game (my first tryout was jmonkey engine) so im not really sure if im going the right path, however i belive me and nathan are being able to keep the code somehow organized.

I think a bigger game then my hands can code. Some parts are not explained on this topic, cause i belive it would ‘rush too much’. So i would need help from people who like the game concept and idea and has a little bit of orientation.

Thanks alot for your attention !

I think we’re doing quite well in the programming area.

We do need an artist, though. Eventually, if not now.

| Nathan

EDIT: Here’s an updated version with the basic world-building menu starting to come together. Click the Map Edit button and try moving the window that pops up around! That window will contain all of the tiles in the future and will serve as a map editor.

Just thought I should mention that your game keeps meh cpu ay 25% usage which means one core is maxed. (quad core)
Something is really going wrong there as it should be around 1-5% max.

another reason why we would need an experienced coder ^^
im pretty sure we built some bottlenecks.

This reminds me of one of my favorite indie-games: King Arthurs Gold (http://devlog.kag2d.com/).

It’s a cool concept, and I hope you manage to build something fun! I’m currently busy with other projects though ;D

Edit: I really love how the controls feel and how expressive your little friend is!

Is this going to be programmed in pure java? Or are you using OpenGL/LWGJL?