VSim - A 3D Vehicle Simulator

Made a beautiful new map

Looking good my man, keep it up. I can’t give it a try yet as I’m at work, but I definitely will check it out and give you feedback when I’m home.

P.S. I’m TheHolyGrail from moparscape, they’re all trolls and flamers there lol.

Thanks man, your comment just made my day!

Public Release Build 5 should be expected to be released sometime this weekend (Oct 3-4)

It has taken a long time because of the magnitude of the work I had to do on the vehicle physics and graphics.

Expect the following:
-A new loading screen with a settings window that uses non-AWT primitive rasterization, as opposed to the previous settings window which used the AWT rasterization methods. (Color scheme for these have also been modified to something that I believe looks nicer)

-Driving over bumps in the road is able to be seen visually now.
-Better collision, still not realistic at all, but you can’t get stuck anymore!
-Longitudinal slip (took forever to learn how it worked and how to implement it)

THE BIGGEST UPDATE YET

PUBLIC RELEASE BUILD 5

VSim Public Release Build 5

Things added:
-Longitudinal slip
-Better / more realistic physics
-Smoke
-Time of day :slight_smile:
-Bouncy collision
-A new loading screen with a settings window that uses non-AWT primitive rasterization, as opposed to the previous settings window which used the AWT rasterization methods. (Color scheme for these have also been modified to something that I believe looks nicer)
-New, better map.
-Terrain collision (driving over bumps)
-More appealing color scheme of the car :stuck_out_tongue:

VSim © Envel Games 2015

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7jy33iecgrjaw93/vsim_public_release_build_5.zip

Expect the next update to be more of an update that improves visual quality and playability rather than a physics update.

Current ideas:
Map choosing interface
Add a building or two around the race track. (I might even throw a city drifting course into it too)
Add other miscellaneous objects around the track to make it feel more real.

Progress update:

There are now 5 playable maps.
And there is a map choosing interface.

I began adding sound effects. Currently I have tire squeals, engine (ear piercing, but will fix), indicator sounds, and that’s it.
I plan to add ambient/environmental noises too as well as some other car sounds to give it more of a realistic feel.

The game now knows which wheel(s) are on which type of terrain. Which allows for dust particles to be created for only the wheels that are on dirt/grass, and smoke particles to only be created when skidding on the road.

Could we maybe have a flatland mode? Where you just zip about (similar to how the game was in the earlier releases)

Of course! I’m curious to know why you want that however haha

Another progress update AND a notice:

I’ve added smooth collision with the race track, I’ve fixed the roll and pitch calculations on the car.

I’m working on a cockpit view (it’s pretty hard to make it look good because I never bothered to implement 3D clipping in my engine).

Notice:
The next release won’t be out until next weekend (Oct 17-18) or the weekend after next weekend (Oct 24-25) because the issues I am currently tackling are fairly large ones… these issues being a cockpit view and game audio.

Here’s an image of the cockpit view

Notice how the roof is missing because there is no 3D clipping.

Another wonderful progress update!!

I have added cockpit view for all screen resolutions and a working 3D steering wheel :D:D:D:D:D:D

I also added one of those fake shadows under the car :stuck_out_tongue:

AUDIO AND MAPS

PUBLIC RELEASE BUILD 6

VSim Public Release Build 6

Things added:
-Cockpit view (still isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty decent)
-Maps! 6 maps to choose from.
-Track weather is taken into account (though it doesn’t do much haha)
-Better / more realistic physics
-Can brake and throttle at the same time to do some burnouts.
-Major Update: AUDIO
-Multiple sound effects now, including engine, turn signal, tire, turbo blow off, etc.
-Optimized smoke / thicker smoke
-Small interface fixes.
-Other objects added to map: yellow flags, checkered flags, and windsocks.
-Normal force on rear wheels now affects the force of traction, so acceleration in the forward direction now allows you to put slightly more power down.

Others:
-Removed the largest display mode because the high depth of field made the lack of 3D clipping visible.

VSim © Envel Games 2015

http://www.mediafire.com/download/um196kc8nal83ua/vsim_public_release_build_6.zip

Will post pictures when I have free time

Oh crap there’s a bug on the Alpine map, first corner has a broken tirewall.

Alright, I think it’s time to bring this project to a dormant state.

I will be working on it from time to time, here and there, and i’ll be removing a lot of the, for lack of a better word, compatibility.

So i’ll be removing the higher resolution display modes and i’ll be focusing more on personal touches to the game.

It’s been lots of fun working on this and reading your feedback!

I’ll release new versions very rarely so don’t call this dead, but dormant.

I’m regretting not having followed your project for so long, it looks like it’s come a long way. It’s great to see such an idea come to fruition, great work mate.

Hey! Thank you!

What version of java is this for? Woa you can do 3d in java! Cool!

I believe I wrote this in Java 1.7. And yeah you can do 3d haha