VSim - A 3D Vehicle Simulator

Any plans to make the terrain infinite, or at least longer? It’d be nice to be able to use the new drifting without flying into the void :point:

Yeah definitely hahahaha

Public Release Build 2 has finally arrived!

Note: Graphical bugs have not been fixed, and therefore the playing field has not been increased in size.

Edit: Also added 1280x720 display mode as requested.

VSim Public Release Build 2

Things added:
-Drifting tire marks (always on for now)
-Car model created internally
-Translucency (seen in tail light and tire marks)
-Slightly better physics
a) Added left-right weight transfer
b) Added the fish-tail effect
c) More realistic cornering and grip
d) Sorry, but it’s a bit more buggy visually.
-Moveable car parts (front wheels rotate and all wheels roll)
-Rear lights work!
-Added an exhaust because drifting with a fat muffler is dope.

VSim © Envel Games 2015

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ch19be6w2vgg95c/vsim_public_release_build_2.zip

I really like the new braking animation. The new physics are nice as well, even though the terrain isn’t infinite, now you have a less of a chance of flying into the void. What’re your plans for this game? Any sort of goal, enemies, etc?

Thank you (the braking animation was in the first one also but it was more subtle).
Also my plans for this game aren’t crazy, I just want my own version of a game like rFactor or something, I love customizing cars and drifting them using near simulation physics. I hate arcade racing games. So basically a racing sim with cool customization.

Updated thread, LOTS of things have happened during the hiatus this thread seemed to experience.

Check out main post for pics, but that’s about it. All the changes will be listed in the next release build, which is release build 3.

Fat camber anglessss

VSim Public Release Build 3 is here!

Things added:
Manual transmission w/ clutch (basic)
Wheel slip
Left and right turn signals
New car model, new wheels!
Gearbox damage…
MAKE SURE YOU PRESS AND HOLD THE CLUTCH WHILE YOU SHIFT GEARS
OR ELSE The GEARBOX WILL GET DAMAGED.
MUCH better physics:
a) Fixed lateral forces
b) Fixed grip on drifting
c) Rolling resistance now takes into account downforce as well as mu
d) Air resistance is now exponential and realistic
e) Forces and torques are calculated per wheel / force on the car is a result of them
Implemented torque curve of a 1992 golf gti
Implemented flags in renderer to allow for things such as turn signals
Things fixed:
Graphical bugs:
a) Repeating grid bug
b) Stretched lines when object is completely out of view

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5o7rorarri9vcg2/vsim_public_release_build_3.zip

Added affine texture mapping

I see the terrain is longer.

Oh yeah haha. I actually ended up porting the map loading from ShardMaster over to this project (with some modifications of course) so a legitimate race circuit will be on its way soon!
That thing on the horizon is a test tree lol

This is really fun xD I suck though I only managed to get up to 75mph

I can’t run it on my work (cough) machine. All I’m getting is a not very helpful message, that tells me that “A java exception occured”… :clue: (Windows 7 64 bit, Java 7)

Hmm… you’re saying you have Java 7… I compiled it in Java 8u60 so maybe that’s it? Idk lol

Thank you! And also it depends on when you shift gears, you want to shift gears when the torque output is at its max

Maybe…I’ll give it a try at home.

VSim Public Release Build 4 has arrived!

Things added:
-Reverse gear and motion finally implemented
-Collision is detected but the car just stops. (realistic collision will most likely be added in the next update)
-An actual map
-Texture mapping

Doesn’t seem like much of an update, but from my perspective it was a boat load of work, especially making and implementing a working map.

VSim © Envel Games 2015

DL:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yuxu3uoo4s71wor/vsim_public_release_build_4.zip

I like it! :slight_smile: Great job so far.

I did notice that the collisions feel a little sticky. When I hit a wall, It’s quite hard to get away from it.

Thanks!

And yeah the collision sucks right now, all that happens is the car’s variables get zeroed out in order for it to stop. Some parts of the map “suck” your car into a 90 degree angle toward the tire wall and it takes a long while to get out. I’m working on it, don’t worry