TritonForge || Immersion RPG/Sandbox

I played around with this for awhile. It’s very Terraria-like, and I love Terraria so there’s nothing wrong with that! :point:

Now for some feedback:

• The lighting is quite nice, I heard you were going to smooth it out and I think that’ll help a bunch
  • When right clicking stacks with odd numbers it does a direct divide by two and it loses one
  • The backgrounds and trees are very nice, they fit well with the art style
  • The way the tree falls when you chop it feels really nice, as if you just chopped it in one fell swoop and it all fell down (contrary to Minecraft’s floating trees)
  • Inventory system is easy to understand
  • Whenever I jump the other pink people jump too (I think it’s a bug)
  • The pink people tend to get stuck in a block sometimes (bottom half of them gets stuck)
  • The generation times were a bit long for a world (I chose 2048x1200 and it took 2 minutes, however smaller worlds were around 45 seconds)
  • The moon and sun’s faces were great, the world feels really “happy”

I know you’re extremely early into development so don’t feel too weighted down with any criticisms I have, just work towards your goals and it’ll be fine. Good luck!

Absolutely LOVED this piece of feedback :smiley:

The pink people jumping at the same time is actually because i was testing a knockback script for getting hurt. It clearly works well but i forgot to remove it. I havent updated the mob mechanics yet as i focused on the player, and its visible but the differences are clear.

Cheers my friend, thanks for the reply again.

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention:

The music only plays once. I’m not sure if that’s intended or not. It’s also quite loud and it sounds a bit low quality. The tune is great, it’s still stuck in my head. ;D

Go to my YouTube channel to listen to all the music (:

Yeah its not intentional, there’s multiple tracks I composed that are meant to play depending on time of day and stuff. The current sound system from a tutorial isn’t the best so it will be changed very soon.

The jittery movement of the sun is fixed and the backgrounds also scroll smoother. The head of the player also rotates with anti-aliasing. how does this all look? be sure to let me know.

S0a3JlJVKVM

My development team T.H.E.Tritonn is also looking for young developers. be sure to check us out!

THETritonn on IndieDB

New title screen Music made, opted for a chiptune ambient hybrid.

lkQ1USAGjh0

Concept art for one of the flagship antagonist races in this game. a storyline is being written but that wont ever be revealed for a while, stay tuned :smiley:

Anyway, how do these look?

Theres a reason why i designed them this way, questions will be answered if you have any.

This new music i made is either to be for a boss battle with a member of this conceptual race, or boss battles in the digital deep. So it’s fitting that i put this music on this post.

myzEpS-AvAs

New OST and New Video is up! (check OP for new video)

Shards is another tune for the Digital Deep, and i say its pretty decent, how about you guys?

oPnyG_U42bs

The Flying Crokes are also reaching final design, but i need help deciding on the heads. first or second??

OR

a feedback reply would be GREATLY Appreciated :smiley:

Unlock request granted :point:

HELLO ALL!

As you may or may not know, this project has been in almost 3 years of part-time development, and I am still going :smiley:

during the time that this thread was dead, the game has taken on MANY changes and additions. New music has been made, new art and biomes, and tons of polishing. It is awesome to be able to share it all with this community. but anyway, heres a demo video of the latest snapshot:

ZrlaERDSJ2I

Yeah i know youre wondering what the hell the cloud blocks are, but there will be more to it in the future.
There is a small bit of concept art I shared yesterday which includes 3 new biomes, currency, and a swimming mechanic draft.

gUM_qgZ5F_k

If you don’t feel like watching the video, this is one image from the video I’d like to touch on.

This is an idea I have for swimming mechanics, the character would face the mouse, and start swimming to that point as long as the W key is being pressed. Otherwise, the player slowly falls to the bottom of the pool. The player would be able to float up and jump out using the space key regardless of the position of the player or mouse. Does this seem viable? Or does it need revision?

With time and input from you guys we will find out.

Thanks again to JGO

I’ve got to say, 150mB jar file is probably the biggest one I’ve downloaded in a long long time.

After a quick run I’ve noticed a few frustrations and glitches:

• When prompted to ask the world dimensions, it wasn’t straight forward that there is a minimum width x height requirement, so I was thrown a warning dialog three times telling me the minimum width and height.
  • Jumping sound gets very repetitive after a little bit…
  • The inventory screen displayed for using chests turns on and off rapidly even if the right mouse button was held down. I’d suggest using a mouse ‘pressed’ event than a mouse ‘down’.
  • While exploring I was stuck in a 1-tile wide gap and 4 tiles high, the jumping and movement is glitchy and it took a while to get out
  • There is a lighting issue when I reached the edge of my world and started jumping. The lighting does not apply to blocks in columns starting from the very right. (I was walking to the right edge)

On the bright side, it’s impressive that you have stuck with the development for 3 years as most indie/hobby titles are turned into vaporware in a matter of weeks. Good job on that part, keep it up! :slight_smile:

The gameplay, as someone mentioned previously, definitely resembles Terraria or Starbound for that matter. It’s interesting to see where this is going.

Yeah, thanks for pointing those out. these have already been in mind for a while. I have done a system rework and i haven’t exactly completed the Rendering one as of now, but that should be fixed soon. That would include the camera at the edges of the world and lighting glitches etc. For the chests, the mouse precision just needs to be tweaked as it is super sensitive to timing. The screen should stay open if you click it once, but i definitely will have to look into that. The world creation menu is 100% placeholder, so there isn’t much to say about that.

The jumping mechanics are something that will be polished for as long as the game is being made, as there is so much to keep in mind. Maybe i should put an in game warning that says to dig always at least 2 tiles wide :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for posting! It makes me happy to see that this was something you found was worth commenting on aha. be sure to stay tuned :smiley:

How did you find the music by the way? All self composed, but they will all have at least 2 reworks i can say.

and does anyone know of a way to compress the jar file? or make a system that does not require one mega file to download? The way it is right now is not very efficient when it comes to downloading. Maybe someone could point me to a thread or an article on this?

Your jar files are compressed, they’re zip archives in disguise.

I’m looking in the V1.1, main problems:

You have TinySound, but are using WAV files for sound. This is hugely wasteful. Use ogg vorbis (or mp3, but I recommend ogg).
You have Paint.NET project files in there alongside the actual PNGs. Those .pdn files are large.
You have many dependencies, some of which are large. This includes what looks like multiple XML parsing libraries, did you try several and forget to remove the old ones from your project configuration?

Also I think single-file download is preferable.

but there are installers made for other games, and that way the game contents could be tweaked by users to their liking. The idea of a folder directory seems interesting to me, but wow. I really don’t know how i missed simple useless files like that, well i gueses its time to do some cleanup.

IMO, the only more complex solution that is better than simply downloading the game is an auto-updating launcher, bonus points if it is indistinguishable from the ordinary main menu.

Thats exactly what i’ve had in mind from the beginning, but i have no idea where to start on something like that, and there arent any blunt explanations on how they work either that i have found /:

https://www.google.com/search?q=auto+updating+launcher+site:stackoverflow.com

Really the hardest part isn’t anything to do with the code, it’s the infrastructure for where the launcher downloads the game from.

Impressive music if it is home-made. Good job on that one :smiley:

I second BurtPizza’s suggestions. .wav files are the most obese of the music file types, I’d recommend .ogg. The standard go-to library would be JOrbis: http://www.jcraft.com/jorbis/

That being said, a game launcher/auto updater can be as simple as a small window showing a progress bar and a status label. The idea is to store your update file / dependency files on a file server of some sort. This is most typically on a web server. All the updater will have to do is to download the game data files from the web server, before running the actual game.

How you approach this completely depends on in-depth you want to go with this launcher. Although I haven’t made too many of these, I’d imagine that a sophisticated auto-updating module will scan local files and validate them with a server (either web server or a specific versioning server. The game data is usually stored in parts, and they are downloaded separately. This means that when a new update rolls out to a big game, users will only have to update what is needed, than to re-download the whole game again. I’d imagine they achieve this by verifying a file checksum? Correct me if I am wrong.

To keep things very simple, the bare minimum you’ll need is a version ‘file’ that stores the value of the ‘latest version’ of your game and a zip file of your game data to be downloaded. The auto-updater will first read the version file, and compare the ‘remote’ version with the version of the game downloaded. If no local game data is found, or the game version is older than that on the server, then it proceeds to download the new files. Again to keep things simple, I’d zip all the required game files into one big zip and download that zip from the web server via auto-updater. In some sense it sort of destroys the purpose of an auto-updater since I’d imagine one of its biggest advantages is to download only what is needed, but hey, all great artwork begins with simple outlines, right?

To some extent the approach I’ve just mentioned is essentially the same as downloading the big jar on first go itself, but a growing number of games and other desktop applications are using self-updaters and/or online installers. It’s nice to have, since for game developers it saves player time downloading and upgrading their game manually.

That was a hell of a huge read, here are some links that may be useful. I’ve listed them in order of how I’d approach the problem:

P.S. You’ll need a separate Thread to handle the download process if you also want to update the progress bar as the files download. Otherwise the whole UI would freeze until the file download is done :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Thanks to the logical input, the game now can auto update without having a separate launcher!

When the application is executed, the game checks the version from the version.txt file on a ftp server i set up. If the version online is newer than the one on the computer, the user gets the option to choose whether or not to update the game.

If the user says “no”, the game launches like normal.

If the user selects “yes”, then the application reads the second line from version.txt, which points to the download link for the latest .exe file (NOTE:for first time installs, there is an important .bat file needed for the updating to work, and it will be included in the setupTF.exe file I will upload later). The download starts and a progress bar appears showing how long it will take to update.

A prompt will appear if the X is clicked

After the download is done, TritonForge_NEW.exe will be in the same folder as the original, and ren.bat is started and Java terminates. After a delay in ren.bat of .4 seconds, TritonForge.exe(the original) is renamed to TritonForge_OLD.exe for keep sakes and backup. Then TritonForge_NEW.exe is renamed to TritonForge.exe and is started. CMD exits and you are now updated!

Extremely satisfied with the way this came out. but now It’s time to get back to the actual game.

Additionally, the game window no longer re spawns after each switch between the menus.