The results are IN!

after much work, hours of discussion, tear-inducing speeches, and roughly 4,000 cans of coke, the judging team finally presents results.

but we don’t feel like telling you the top 5 entries.

instead, how about the 3 worst entries?!

[tr]
[td]Tank War

[/td]
[td]

I, myself, really like this game. But CaptainJester himself scored it at 0, which brought the average down considerably! none of us judges knows what CaptainJester was thinking, we assume it was a caffiene side effect. The game scored with pathetic 17%[/td][/tr][tr]
[td]Section4K

[/td]
[td]

Why we at the judging team appreciate Morre’s… creativity… we couldn’t help but to fall over into multiple, dizzy, seizures over this game. Plus, it resembles pie, which wasn’t good for the game since we hadn’t eaten in 4 days at the time. The game finished at a stomach-growling 8%[/td][/tr][tr]
[td]Goop

[/td]
[td]

Nobody really knows what happened here. Most of us here at the judging board remember liking the game to some point, but for some reason the score does not reflect it. We have a hunch that Kevin Glass attempted to hack the results but suffered a small mathematical error in doing so. The game finished with -14.276%
[/td][/tr]

thanks to all who participated! see you all next year!

obviously we will be hoarding this year’s prizes for the next 4K contest, since none of you know who won! whoohoo!

Oh my god!!! The humiliation! :slight_smile:

Are the judges gonna keep all the prizes for themselves this year? :slight_smile:

OH MY GOD, ITS APRIL FOOLS LOL OMG BBQ

OMG, You had me going there for a minute. ;D

like wise until the description of the goop’s score. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s a very wise move to show the worst entries as long as you want to encourage people to participate.

Pssst, these are the winners… I think…? :wink: Or should we just ignore this funny post? Oh oh oh

<3 Mmm… pie…

So, assuming that this is an April fool…

[ it got me – hook line and sinker :slight_smile: ]

… do you have any indication on the actual progress of the judging. I’m not asking to hurry, but just to get some indication of where it’s at, or when it may be expected to be complete? I.e. in: 1 day, a few days, 1 week, a few week weeks, 1 month, 2 months, or what? :slight_smile:

In a related vein, how’s the user popularity rating stuff going for the web site?

Cheers, Tim.

who said anything about april fools? o_O

no, but seriously, I’m glad you asked, tim! that’s half the reason I created this thread. there is no judging team this year. (thanks to whoever volunteered, but you’re off the hook).

here’s a couple of reasons why there is no judging…

1. flaming. using 4 or 5 judges or whatever always starts a flamewar because SOME judges may see things differently compared to others. and certain game authors cry “no fair” and then I get flamed for it. 3 years of flaming = not good for woogley

2. judging criteria. I don’t like to establish judging criteria. it gets too technical, and sometimes a rubbish game of no replay value will get high marks for random stuff that doesn’t really matter. this year, there is no technical criteria. the public voters will simply vote for the top 5 games they like the best.

3. accuracy. does a judging panel of 5 people really reflect what an entire community may think? probably not. this year, the community decides the winners.

so, with that out in the open, let me answer two questions…

who gets to vote? anyone who has been a member of jgo since 2007

when is it happening? as soon as I finish writing a silly php script for it

why haven’t you finished yet? because I got a new job and I go to school :wink:

there, all your mysteries are solved :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, i must say this SUX! Come on man, you tell people that the rules have changed a month after the contest is over? Very disppointing! I actually liked the judging system.

this is not a rule change :stuck_out_tongue:

How does it suck? Would you have written a different game? I doubt it.

I never said that, also i said evertying i had to say.

Is this a joke? April 1 is well over…

If this is the case then i must say that i am disappointed. I personally do not care at all about the final placings of the entries… what i am interested in in the remarks of the judges.

By making the “juding” public, the little remarks which may be written will be from random people and therefore less informative. Espeically for the games ranking in the middle where the public will not have much feeling about the game one way or the other and will probably not comment at all. It is these games which most need the comments to understand what would have made the game better so that next year they can attempt to better themselves.

I am all for a separate “public choice” award which is in addition to the expert judged panel.

Having a public choice award would be cool.

Expert judging also has the benefit that no games will go completely unlooked. It’s more likely that a game would be better analyzed by a judge who has to systematically score every game. So a game that might not draw alot of attention to itself otherwise could do very well in the judging. Then people looking at the results could be surprised, “Hey, I never thought to check it out but this is cool!” Call it the dark horse or underdog factor.

well, I’m semi-sorry to dissapoint. I think it is worth a try, though, and you might be surprised at how it works out.

either way, I’m going to get flamed, and this looks like it will result in less flaming.

so keep an open mind, and I encourage you to place your vote when the time arrives

When the public voting is in, you can (by default) sort the games by how much it is voted for (put the least voted game at the top).

That way the votes per game will ‘naturately’ balance.

So it seems it’s not a joke :frowning:

Then I have to agree with userek. Sorry woogley, but this sucks. Big time. :frowning:

It is a sign of disrespect towards participants, saying it now - one full month after the contest is over. All the things you say were equally true before the contest was even started. Either this is a completely random change of mind, or you are not telling the whole story. I might even think that someone didn’t like the results or comments that judges turned. I never speak for others, so I won’t be using “we”, but I will say that I personally have a job too, and yet I submitted some games (good or bad, I don’t know) in good faith that the contest was going to be properly handled.

And I feel that trust has been betrayed. Yes there is a change of rules : you said many times there were going to be judges, asked for volunteers, and as of March 08 you were still saying “judging results will be available in the coming weeks”. Now you suddenly change your mind, and introduce a completely different system, with an arbitrarily chosen voting collective. Just like moogie, I’d rather get five reasoned opinions on my work (no matter how biased) - and even if I finish last - rather than an aseptic “12 votes” which can be due to many many non-game related issues, and from which I will never be able to learn anything.

Would I have written a different game? Maybe not, but then maybe I wouldn’t have bothered at all. And maybe I’d just written one game and not six. I wrote the games for fun, of course, not for the prize, but then again, I have fun writing many other kinds of software, too, and there are other contests, too. But whatifs and maybes are irrelevant. What we have is what we have.

If you don’t have the time, delegate, ask for help, pass the responsability to someone else, whatever… But saying -after one month - “I’ll put a PHP script whenever I have the time 'cos I have a job and go to school” ::slight_smile: is downplaying the effort put into this contest and shows a childish lack of responsibility.

And about flaming (AKA “criticism”)… I’ll let Harry Truman answer that one : “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen”. I entered the contest fully aware that I might receive opinions like “this game has too many problems” (no further explanation given). How disappointing, then, that the decision and constant theme throughout this seems to be minimizing the criticism you will endure rather than what is benefitial for the contest and its participants.