TAFSJ - The Actually Finish Something Jam

Great soft shadows, nice work!

Think about it twice before writing such things…

All night I layed awake thinking up a storm and early this morning I think I may have it. You will be hearing from me shortly. Muhuhahaha (Imagine that in a deep voice, not like, you know, a 14 year old’s voice) :persecutioncomplex:

I think I’ll try and finish something. I started a top down shooter a little bit ago, so I already had some stuff such as movement, collision, and shooting done. This morning I came up with an idea for the gameplay and story, and made the art to create the first room. The only thing I didn’t make was the player sprite. I should probably do more work on the gameplay and story and less on graphics right now ::slight_smile:

http://puu.sh/dGKd9/a282e11552.jpg

I’m making it with LibGDX and the lighting is with Box2DLights.

Made a little character. Now I have to convert him to top down :emo:

If only I could finish my current project by the end of December. :smiley:

… Maybe December… 2015

A little side project wouldn’t hurt. ;D Don’t you need some breaks from RPC?

When you get a large enough project going, a side project/break can end up being another part of the same game. Win-win, gives you a break from whatever you’re doing and you’re still contributing to the main game/goal. :smiley:

So will winners and losers be chosen?

Probably not

Starting to remember how to GDX, also trying out Box2D:

Nobody said top-down shooter meant dudes with pistols!

Knew it!!!

Interestingly, when The_Lion_King and I were coming up with the theme/genre, the two we narrowed it down to (or rather, the only two ideas we had) were “tanks game” and “top down shooter”.

My game idea is just a crazy little tank shooter with a few puns a small storyline…

I haven’t even started, I make the prototype, run into a wall, stop and restart…

And that is why you fail. Make a damn game already.

Unequivocally this.

If you give up every time you hit a wall, you never learn. You’re just doing the “easy parts” over and over again and again. That’s why some programmers make amazing games with less than 2-3 years experience, and some have 10+ years of experience and still can’t get collision detection right or make a tile map that runs more than 5FPS. It’s not because the former is smarter than the ladder, the former just broke through barriers instead of giving up.

Um… my development status?

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/k7b3yy888mmau5i/help.png?dl=0

Woah, what a coincidence, I actually made my LD31 entry a top down shooter where you play as a tank! Can I just continue working on that as my game, because then I might consider joining too.

Yes, maybe post a before and after at the end of the year. Just have fun and make your game awesome