Starfarer

Very nice looking. Space war games are great.

Oooh, I shall have a look.

EDIT: I didn’t realize that I have to pay. Pshaw, moneys. I definitely will if the game is good. Is there any sort of demo or anything I can play before I pay?

There’ll be a demo, but it’s likely to happen when the game is close to being feature-complete (i.e., not for a while). It’d be a bit of a headache maintaining a demo in reasonably up-to-date shape while also developing the full version. And I think I’d rather have no demo than an out-of-date one…

If it’s any help, early responses have been quite positive :slight_smile:

Dunno, but $10 for a preorder is not bad imho.

Dominic from DIYGamer has shot a rather extended gameplay video of the alpha in action. You can find the full 2-part video here, along with his overall thoughts on the game.

The video is very nicely annotated and tells you a lot about the game.

Also, you can check out a url=http://www.diygamer.com/2011/05/spaz_starfarer_preview/review[/url] side by side with SPAZ.

This looks amazing! In my opinion, there should be a little bit faster game play. It looks too slow, but the effects are awesome! ::slight_smile:

Thanks, glad you like how it looks! Some people are saying slower, some faster, so it’s probably close to being right :slight_smile:

Actually, it really depends on the kind of ship you fly. Frigates are much more action-y (and can be very strong, especially with the player at the helm). Battleships are slow and ponderous, but really, what kind of a battleship would it be if it wasn’t?

congrats for making it onto indiegames.com http://indiegames.com/2011/05/trailer_starfarer_fractal_soft.html

@Offtopic :
How do games get featured on those sites btw ? Do they “discover” games themselves or you should send a review request or something ?

Thank you! Was very cool (and a bit surreal) to see it on there.

I can’t speak for the general case, but for SF, Nicholas from Gaslamp Games put in a good word about it with the writer that was interviewing him. The connection with SF is that David (Starfarer artist, solely responsible for all the pixel art goodness) is also part of Gaslamp.

… I would be remiss not to mention Dungeons of Dredmor, a “graphical roguelike” they’re just about ready to ship - which, despite not being written in Java, is looking absolutely superb :slight_smile:

I must admit i love the look of the game. However i am not sure about the way you pilot a ship. I find it a bit tedious. Also in the tutorials one of the fighters got away, and it took ten mins to hunt it down, perhaps a skip to the next tutorial is a good idea.

Otherwise worth every penny!

Thanks!

Good call about the fighters - I’ll add a check in that section of that tutorial that skips it if the fighters get too far away. They already get speed-nerfed to make them easier to catch, but apparently that wasn’t quite enough :slight_smile:

Could you elaborate - what specifically did you find tedious about piloting?

A roundup of some in-progress, but already playable mods for Starfarer. With plenty of juicy screenshots :slight_smile:

Here is one:

Wrote a blog post about AI collision avoidance that I thought you guys might find interesting.

There’s also a video showing it in action:

Finally got around to buying a preorder and besides my issues with my dual monitor setup, it rocks!

Thanks, happy you like it!

Yeah, that dual monitor issue is odd. Can’t quite tell whether it’s a driver issue, or a LWJGL one, but either way, only having the resolution that includes both screens show up isn’t right.

That is an LWJGL issue.

Reminds me a little bit of netrek. Just need to add epic starbase battles and ogging and it’s perfect :slight_smile:

yea, Think i like it more than netrek however. But then it been a while since i played last. Got addicted to Frozen Synapse recently…

I guess really i prefer more “RTS” type controls. Which is really a different kind of game completely.

You don’t happen to have more info on that, do you? The exact issue is that the combined resolution of the two monitors (say, 2560x1024) comes back as the only result from a org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.getAvailableDisplayModes() call.

Yeah, it really is. The move away from RTS-style controls wasn’t because they’re bad in general (RTS games use them to good effect! :)), but because they’re just not right for where SF is going.