Starfarer

Such a great story, how did you come up with that? I started reading and couldn’t stop, and I haven’t even read a book for 5yrs.

So glad you liked it! You’ll have to ask my crack European writing team, aka Ivaylo - he’s the one that came up with that :slight_smile:

Cool story, bro. :wink: No, actually, I do like it. I have but one recommendation: change “the sector” to some actual name like “Sector 15” or Sector “ZZpluralAlpha” or whatever. I found it a bit confusing to read just because there was no name for this sector.

I guess they don’t want to say what Java setup they have. I guess the philosophy of hiding Java has taken hold. I don’t adhere to that philosophy.

Who’s they?

Cas :slight_smile:

kappa and friends

Thanks for your feedback - I think that’s a good point.

Visually stunning! I just love the explosions.

I’ve seen the trailer about 5 times already, it inspires me to work harder on my projects!

I do like the gouached style of the art here.

Cas :slight_smile:

I’ll admit I had to look up what that means :slight_smile:

New post up, about planets.

It continues to impress.
Love the part about ‘This game has been great for such things.’ That is spot on!

Though if I may nitpick, the picture with the sun, if the sun is a background object, would the part of the ship that we see not be shaded?

:slight_smile: Well, you see, the light refracts as it hits the edges of the ship, and thus ends up fanning out. Ahem.

Gameplay wise, it’s a good indicator for when you’re getting burned.

New post is up about modding missions in the alpha, you can take a look here.

I’m using the Janino compiler for the scripts, and it’s working great. Tried using Groovy at first as it seemed to be more script-y and in theory user friendly, but ran into lots of issues, including comparatively poor editing tools. The Groovy editor for Eclipse doesn’t compare to the Java one.

So now I’ve got a fancy setup where Eclipse compiles the code for me while I work on it, but Janino does it when I run the game (even from Eclipse). Now, if only Janino supported generics and the new for loop…

Hi guys! Just finished shooting a new gameplay video, you can check it out here.

Featuring a full mission play-through, for the first look at a continuous slice of gameplay.

Too impressive. :o

Mother of god, this game is absolutely gorgeous! :o

Continues to amaze!

I just saw that we can preorder the game.
My only reservation against it would be if it is playable under Linux or not. I’d also rather stay away from Wine et al if possible.

If you can run other LWJGL games on Linux, it should work. I’ve tested it on a Ubuntu box (the only Linux box I have direct access to) and didn’t have any issues, and I’ll re-test again before release. You’ll need a half-decent video card, though.

Also playable on Mac, btw. I mean, it’s LWJGL, so it’d be practically criminal not to make it cross-platform :slight_smile: Without a good reason, at least.

Wanted to tell you guys that the alpha is officially out!