Starfarer

It is indeed bloody gorgeous. Seriously pretty. Awesome. Inspiring. This is what Master of Orion combat should have been…

Wow! Very cool trailer. You should send it to lucasarts and get hired 8)

The classical music, the real galaxy in the background, the battle, i love it!

Who0ot! That trailer rocked!
You are far to brutal, teasing us like this!
Some extra exclamation marks for good measure: !!!

Thank you guys! I’m going to bottle up this shot of extra-added motivation for a rainy day. :slight_smile:

PS awesome use of parallax.

Er, have you been preempted?

You can get an EXE here:

http://www.starfare.eu/articles/7/starfare-download.html

Looks like lot worse than StarfareR, though. :stuck_out_tongue: And it won’t go on my Mac.

That ‘r’ makes all the difference, right? Right??? :smiley:

Glad you like it! That took an embarassing amount of time to get working just right.

Wanted to tell you guys that I’ve put up a video with some more in-game footage. And lots of explosions. You can check it out here.

Can I make a suggestion? How about stating that the game is written in java in your blogs & youtube video, (and maybe add a ‘java’ tag or two…)

The game continues to impress, can’t wait to play it.

Its easily one of the best looking 2d java game I’ve seen.

Hm, I wouldn’t do that if I were you (mention java)

Cas :slight_smile:

Yeah, much as it pains me to say it, I think java would be the opposite of a selling point with the majority of people.

Thank you! Working on getting an version alpha wrapped up, should be soon…ish. Gameplay wise it’s very close to what I want in the alpha already, but there’s also the ever-annoying business of installers/packaging (for the various platforms) and other such “trivialities”.

A tweet about our game the other day:

Revenge has 180mb of graphics in it and 60mb of samples excluding music… not sure if people really realise what goes into a game these days. That’s quarter of a gig on assets alone before any code or game data is taken into account! And yet Java got the blame for it. I never will understand people.

Actually, that’s a nice tweet all things considered - the person liked the game enough not to want to blame it for a problem they ran into, and Java got the honor of being the scapegoat instead :slight_smile:

The 2d/retro feel of RoTT might contribute to people feeling like it shouldn’t take up all that much resource-wise, too. The average player’s expectation of a 2d game is probably that it should run just about anywhere, but meanwhile, it’s just as easy to use up any and all cpu/gpu available…

I don’t see Java running? Is it using JET? Well nice game anyways.

Moleboxed.

If you’d like to know more about the world of Starfarer, we’ve got something for you. With illustrations by David.

Teaser:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/sf_scene05_gate.jpg

So if it is molebox then it’s using OpenJDK or the main Oracle distribution? Does Oracle allow distribution of a modified JRE with molebox?

You’re not allowed to modify the JRE, no…