Snipping Tool++ (An advanced screenshot/text uploading tool)

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Wow this is actually quite amazing! However, I don’t like having it running in the background. The way Gyazo works, it opens up the reticle for you to select the part of the screen you want to cut when you run it. Then it closes.

BTW, this was made using pure Java or using natives? I don’t see how this is possible using plain old AWT :S

Its completely java except for the hot keys. I use JIntellitype which is a windows key hook.

Other than that it uses the imgur api key to access uploading. google imgur api for more info.

and what do you mean not like having it run in the background? What would you suggest?

How in the world can you use AWT to darken the whole screen and draw red rectangle over where you want to select? O_o

And I was suggesting the way Gyazo did it, which is only run to select the image, upload the image, then end the process.

Ah. I see, i dont think I will do that with this program because when I built it I originally built it for a few of my
programming friends and myself. We all take a ton of snippets of things and are messaging them back and forth.

Speed was the concept, I wanted to deliver the fastest way to quickly grab, upload, and share. So by having
it run in the background you do not need to search for it and start it up. All you have to do is
Press the hotkey > drag > done

3 simple steps, completely minimizing clicks.

Now, how I made the overlay you ask, was quite simple. Ill give you the steps my program does.

1. Takes a screenshot
  2. puts the screenshot on a panel that stretches across all screens
  3. then draws a “filled rectangle” with an alpha level of 100 to give it transparency on top of the screenshot

That’s all it does, quite simple really.

Here, this is the first “concept” i came up with before I decided to completely minimize clicks. This was
made the same day I came up with the idea to make the program.
[Build 1.6] OUTDATED COMPLETELY

Ohhh! I thought you drew over the actual screen! That’s quite clever, using an undecorated and fully stretched panel.

And I was only comparing it with how Gyazo works. The way yours works is fine.

EDIT: Yup, seems like a bug. ESC executes “Upload Snippet”, while pressing ESC doesn’t escape the bounding box dragger thingy :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT2: This is my 3000th post on JGO! W0000000T! ;D

OH WOW!! i didnt even realize escape brings up the tool. Escape is supposed to exit the overlay. I will fix that issue immediately.

I cant believe I never noticed that. Thanks! lol :slight_smile:

Ok fixed that for you. Should be able to re-download it now.

Basically each hotkey has an identifier. and when I put the “Escape” hotkey, I accidentally gave it the
same identifier as opening the overlay. so it was doing both ._.

Edit: grats on 3000 posts :slight_smile:

Sweet, I might actually be using this instead of Gyazo :slight_smile:

Awesome, that means a lot.

If you have any other suggestion let me know. If I find them viable I will
work on implementing them as soon as I find time. I have a final on friday
and have to do some studying and then after that I wont be online for
about a month lol.

I use ArsClip for a clipboard history (godlike for programming, get it if you don’t have it) and ScreenSnpr for screenshot stuff and Pastebin for uh pastebin stuff. I always thought they should all be a single tool.

Ah. well maybe you can create a tool that combines all 3?? :slight_smile:

Definitely not something I feel like taking on at the moment. But, does sounds like it would be quite the useful tool to have.

Oh yeah I had one suggestion. You should make it show a popup balloon saying that it’s uploading. So I won’t have to wait forever with my slow upload speeds until I see that the link is in my clipboard :wink:

It should show a popup that tells you when it finishes uploading.

I tried to have it show a popup that tells you its in the middle of uploading, but because the popups stay active for about 15 seconds this makes it so I cant have another popup show up within that time. So if you have fast upload speeds you will never see when it finishes since the “uploading popup” would still be active and not allow the “upload successful” popup to show.

I tried for hours trying to figure out how to make the popups go away but as far as I can tell, with the way java currently is there is no way to kill or remove a popup.

If you have a way to do this, i would be glad to implement it :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t calling displayMessage again show the new one right away? Let me play around with it

That’s what I thought would happen. but apparently not. :\

Actually. forget I said that. I just messed around with it a bit more and apparently its working fine and not doing at all what I said it was doing.

Ill have an update up in a second. :slight_smile:

Over 500 views and only about 15 total downloads :\

Thank you for the feedback that I have got from the few of you that downloaded
and replied :slight_smile: helped me out a lot.

When I have time in the future, I am thinking about adding
an option for a red/blue pen tool so that you can draw over
your snippets before they upload. Just like how the windows
snipping tool has, it’s the one thing my program does not have lol

a 3% successrate on a ‘random download’ is actually quite high. :wink:

Acctually, I’m one of the bad guys, often looking into this thread, but not donwloading the program. (I downloaded it now.)
I thought that would be written in C++, cause of the “++” in the name. That held me back from downloading it… But if you like that ++, keep it. I think that would be better than removing it, anyways.

Also, really cool program :smiley: I like it.
But:
“Hotkeys are only available on Windows OS” … -.-