Resistance Force

Ill kill ya once its supports my graphics card :wink:

looks, really cool, but I experienced the same issue as dzzd :(.

try putting it on gamejolt maybe?

Yeah, Iā€™m working on this issue. In the meantime you can use the chat (which is just webchat frontend for IRC so you can join directly too). Ask for game and hang there for awhile.

GameJolt is nice but it doesnā€™t (yet?) support commercial stuff.

yeah, but you can just put it on for now, and in the comment say liek:

ā€œthis is just an alpha testing, it will soon be removed do to complete releaseā€

but already a very fun to play Alpha :slight_smile:

Hi!

Do you plan to disable pixel shading on machines with a graphics card below your current minimum requirements? I only have an ATI Radeon 9250 Pro at home, I will try your game on another machine with an Nvidia Quadro FX 3450, I hope it will work.

Most likely not. Itā€™s true that Iā€™ve been thinking a bit about creating legacy renderer which would use just fixed function pipeline and not any fancy features for older or slow integrated cards. But it would mean I would have to support two very different renderers and I would have to think about how to create any new effect in both renderers. This would be too much effort for very little gain since even pretty old cards can do decent shaders.

Test on Quadro FX or GeForce FX would be welcome, theoretically it should work too. Probably with blocky ambient because GF FX canā€™t handle bilinear interpolation of float textures. Also someone with Radeon X700 would be helpful too (or any other Radeon card with PS 2.0b).

I understand your position but I thought you would ā€œsimplyā€ not implement some fancy effects on old hardwares in order to have one main high-end renderer and a worse renderer with less features, not 2 full renderers. For example, my graphics card has no pixel shader and crappy vertex shader, I expected from having no fancy effects but something playable. I know making a FPS requires a lot of energy, I understand that you prefer not investing any time to create a legacy renderer.

What about using Java Web Start?

Shaders are not simply effects, itā€™s completely different way of doing things. Theyā€™re part of the engine renderer, not just some optional artist created effects. This is common misconception.

I would have no way to eg. implement volumetric smoke without shaders, but I really need this effect for gameplay. I would have to use many sprites for the legacy renderer. It would behave differently (poorly) and would be misused to take advantage in network play.

Not possible for this game. There are many problems with WebStart:

1. itā€™s unreliable
  2. itā€™s alien concept to users
  3. it canā€™t handle big apps well (like 0.5GB and more), the cache is limited to 1GB at maximum
  4. doesnā€™t have support for mirrors
  5. uninstalls are very poor and impossible to hook own uninstall script (even if itā€™s theoretically possible)
  6. needs Java installed
  7. not so nice UI
    ā€¦

dont know if it may help but I got a x800 ? do y like me to test with ?

Yes, that should be very similar to X700 (has also PS2.0b).

humā€¦ dont know if it come from the graphics card but I got a system error on javaw.exe (see enclosed image) when it goes fullscreen.

the game did not start : show loading popup then just flash as if it go fullscreen and popup the error below.

Sorry I assumed you used only pixel shaders for some light effects. Actually, you donā€™t use the fixed pipeline.

I suggested this only for the demo, not for the whole project. I would advise you to use IzPack rather than Java Web Start for the final release, it is very clean, stable and professional.

Thanks, can you send me also the log? Itā€™s in ā€œlogs/resforce.0.txtā€.

here it is (3 attempts)

[error] unhandled exception occurred in thread "main"
             [...] org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated

67MB is a lot to download for an error - maybe it would be kinder to use a preloader?
While Iā€™m here, isnā€™t including the whole JRE a bit heavy? A quick version check could save a lot of user pain!

Thanks for test, can you send me the whole log?

The final version will be like 0.5GB big or so. JRE will be just a tiny fraction of the total size. One of the point of alpha version is to test in final configuration.

Thanks, this is already known bug. Once I fix it Iā€™ll ask you to try again.

Iā€™ve added Mac OS X version of the game. You can download it here:

resforce-alpha.dmg [49MB]

Currently all settings, screenshots and logs are stored directly in the application bundle. You can view the content by right clicking on it, choosing ā€œShow Package Contentsā€ and then navigate to Contents and Resources folders.

This game rocks, congratulations for finishing it, itā€™s just like counterstrike. Very clean and crisp graphics and movement.

My FPS was 58-80 on a dual core vista with a Nvidia GEFORCE 8600M GT.

The way the bots die and fall down is great, as are the body shadows. Thereā€™s a fair amount of vertical retrace choppyness when you strafe, but I suppose thatā€™s because you arenā€™t yet syncā€™ing the frame rate to the screen refresh so you can better test performance?

The menus are nice and minimal. Having to be connected to the internet to play isnā€™t so good I think. Some good bot AI and more weapons would be awesome. I noticed that you can run with shift and aim with right click, can you also duck?

Great work 8)

Thanks. Yeah there was a lot of work needed to finish the playable alpha version. Over the time Iā€™ve incrementally moved half of the items in TODO required for first public alpha to post-release time (including many optimizations). But finishing playable game means that every important feature is there so I can now focus on adding new features and enhancing existing stuff without much problem :slight_smile:

Yes, Iā€™ll add both vsync and FPS limiter with user choosen limit. The problem with vsync is that it increases input lag and there can be frequent changing from 30 to 60 FPS when the FPS is varying over the edge (this could be fixed by applying FPS limiter to eg. 50 FPS max so the vsync would always end up with 30 FPS). Some players prefer to use it, others not. The tearing is different for each monitor type, eg. on my CRT monitor itā€™s practically not noticeable and there are many types of LCD too. Also some users are more sensitive to it than others.

This game is multiplayer only, there is no plan to add bots. The existing bot is used only for developing when I need test some features that canā€™t be tested with just one player. More weapons will be added in subsequent updates. You can check all available actions in Options -> Controls.