Resistance Force

Anyone can test the Mac OS X version?

I would like to know if there are any issues and if shadows from players / dynamic objects nicely blends with static shadows or if there is ugly “border”. You can test it by choosing “Engine Test” in main menu and pressing Enter to switch to player (more controls are available by pressing F1 or Escape and then in Options -> Controls). If there is any crash please send me the logs (see the previous post how to obtain them).

Also your OS version and HW specs with FPS (with shadows and without) and resolution would be nice.

hehe, I crashed it :P.

I was in the test mode, and made A LOT of balls ;).

looking great though.

just a tip to simplify your life, youmay want to remove the ammo in test mode…

Blog update: Evolution of the game (part 1)

This game is very impressive graphically and technically.

Since Java games of this quality come rarely, I think it’d be fair to feature it.

As for rating, I think it’d be best to wait a little while.

FEATURED.

It doesn’t work anymore for me. Don’t know if that’s caused by the last update or my new graphics card. It displays the main menu and then crashes the driver. I’ve to kill the task and get a message that Windows has restarted the graphics driver to recover. System: Windows Vista 32Bit, ATI Radeon 5870, Catalyst 9.11 driver, Java 1.6.0_17. The game’s build is #12.

Can’t run it here behind the work proxy - you might want to just allow it to carry on regardless instead of displaying an UnknownHostException and quitting.

Cas :slight_smile:

Works fine on Mac OS X. :slight_smile:

New version is available: it brings explosive grenades to the arsenal among with many bug fixes and small features. There is no need to manually apply this update, just run the game and it will be auto-downloaded.

Hopefully this version will also fix problem with players testing the game, but each one coming at different time to the server. So many people couldn’t test the game. The solution is in defining certain hours so players can gather easier. I’ve defined 16:00 and 20:00 CET, you can also try to join server at beginning of each hour. This is also presented directly in the game when no one is on the server.

http://download.resistanceforce.com/data/blog/alphas/grenade1_mini.jpg

http://download.resistanceforce.com/data/blog/alphas/grenade2_mini.jpg

You can see more screenshots and download the game
(available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X)

Build #13 2010/01/01 (public alpha):

• Fixed crashing on some video cards
  • Disabled initialization of display/sound in dedicated server
  • Fixed crashing of server when bad packet arrives
  • Shortened prepare time from 12 to 8 seconds
  • Added better logging of player connects/renames/disconnects
  • Fixed footstep sounds for other players
  • Added notification of team change
  • Added support for colors in message list
  • Added team chat
  • Added ability to move just by tiny amount when short tapping the movement keys
  • Added invert mouse option
  • Added vsync and FPS limiter options
  • Fixed occasional death when falling from top of stairs
  • Added unlimited number of magazines to engine test
  • Added explosive grenades
  • Bomb explosion now causes death
  • Added notice when no people are playing
  • Added ability to start running from crouching, also fixed crouch toggle

It’s still crashing the driver right at the startup screen… (Vista 32Bit, Java6, Ati Radeon HD 5870, Cat 9.11).

Blog update: WYSIWYG in Resistance Force

I read it, and those are some pretty interesting ideas.

I agree witht he whole what you see is what you get thing. It is always annoying when you are sneaking up on someone, and they see your gun going through the wall :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like a challenge. Good luck getting that to really work!

:’( too bad… still not enought players

put some bots even very stupid and then people will stay a bit longer and can meet other players, cause in the actual version I guess people disconnect as soon as they connect and never meet each other.

This will take some time, the game is still in an early stage. I don’t plan any bots as it would be very hard or even impossible to do good bots (tactically cooperating) and it’s better to have none bots than dumb ones. The real fun is from playing against real people anyway. At least I will change round resetting so it would allow to free roam on server when no other players are connected. However it will take at least few updates to upgrade the game to be real fun, current version is quite boring :slight_smile:

when playing 2 vs 2 I found it already very interresting ! with it own specific ambiance a little similar to counter strike, more tactical/realistic (less bruteforce I mean) than other FPS

Yeah, it proved to be fun by many players. So phase 1 was succesfully finished, now it’s time to deliver the rest :wink:

Blog update: New technology: composite texture

New version is available, most work went into adding major features into the engine (static meshes, composite texture, material system, normalmaps) and optimizations. On the game side the current map was enhanced, initial set of detail meshes was added and there is a new gun available.

This release is another big milestone in development of Resistance Force, as the engine is now capable of all basic stuff needed to create content. The focus is already shifting from engine, tools and game programming to content creation, thus accelerating the speed of development of Resistance Force.

Previously the engine didn’t support static meshes at all, which was very limiting. Composite texture allows detailed texturing of large areas (terrains), material system and normalmaps allow good visual effects and most importantly it allows to use much lower number of polygons in models while retaining high quality.

http://download.resistanceforce.com/data/blog/alphas/14/screenshot1_mini.jpg

http://download.resistanceforce.com/data/blog/alphas/14/screenshot2_mini.jpg

http://download.resistanceforce.com/data/blog/alphas/14/screenshot3_mini.jpg

http://download.resistanceforce.com/data/blog/alphas/14/screenshot4_mini.jpg

You can see more screenshots and download the game
(available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X)

Build #14 2010/06/11 (public alpha):

• Renderer optimizations (with shadows disabled)
  • Fixed problem with rapidly decreasing FPS with more players
  • Added support for static meshes
  • Added support for composite texture
  • Added material system
  • Added support for normalmaps
  • Added tips
  • Enhanced map
  • Added some detail models to map
  • Improved chat dialog
  • Team chat is now more apparent
  • Improved collision detection for objects with higher velocity
  • Increased grenade explosion delay from 2.5s to 3.75s
  • Increased bomb explosion delay from 30s to 40s
  • Added selection of textures quality
  • Added new weapon
  • Improved bomb defusing

…and it still crashes on my machine. Not in the startup screen anymore, but when i’m trying to start a game. It renders the back drop and stops responding. Have to kill it via the task manager. (Vista 32Bit, Java6, Ati Radeon HD 5870, Cat 10.3).

same here, everything is going well until the screen with the two weapon appear, then it hang (seems that the FPS go down to 1FPS)

EDIT: VISTA 32 / Java6 / Radeon HD3650