Reign of Rebels : Online Hack and Slash

Thanks! The game is awesome!
EDIT: Also, I was reading your dev blog, and noticed you’re keeping the stick characters. Good choice! They’re really cute, and I think they’re better than some fancy good looking characters! :slight_smile:

Haha! I laughed when I saw that the infected miners were little minecraft guys! Then I spent all night getting to Caral. By the way, are you just using lwjgl for this? no other 3d engine? What do you use to load in your models? If you’re just using lwjgl, could you point me in the right direction for loading models made in blender? I’m having trouble.

I’m using only LWJGL for the 3d stuff.

I wrote an MD2 model loader/renderer. Blender can export models with animation to the MD2, and that’s exactly what I do, model in Blender then export to MD2.

MD2 is the quake2 model format, which has support for animation and is not hard to understand. I suggest you take a look at this format.

Thanks for trying the game! Maybe I still have to make it a little easier, you shouldn’t have died so often!

Thanks for the info! I’m thinking of writing my own .obj loader. Do you see any advantages of .md2 over .obj? The reason I’m thinking about using .obj is because I couldn’t find the option to export to .md2, so I tried .obj and the format looks really simple.

.obj files do not support animation. Mind you md2 and md3 aren’t exactly state-of-the-art when it comes to animation either, but they are more advanced than .obj. If you want rigging, I think you have to go all the way to .md5

Thanks, sproingie! md2 it is, then.

You could also export several frames in obj format and interpolate them to mimic md2 behavior. But I think it’s easier just to create a md2 loader/renderer.

I also use .obj to the static models, like trees and weapons since .obj is waaay smaller than md2.

Thanks, teletubo. I’d give you another medal, but I already gave you two in this thread. Is it possible for me to be abusing the appreciate button, or can I give out as many medals as I want? Also, could you point me towards the md2 exporter your using? I can’t find a working one. Or are you using a different version of blender? I’m using 2.62

I’m using Blender 2.49b , I haven’t switched to the new versions since I don’t like the new interface and as far as I recall its md2 exporter is really buggy.

But you can always use 2.62 and use 2.49b just to use the md2 exporter.

Nevermind about the medals, I don’t think they mean much anyway.

Ok, thanks! Anyways, back on topic. I think it’s actually fun with how hard the game is. However, I spent all my points on the Toughness stat, so I can imagine it would be even harder and very frustrating if I didn’t make my character a tank. Maybe give more HP for each level? Or make the enemies do less damage?

I thought it was already a bit easy! it’s really hard to balance a game when you know all the little secrets and stuff.
You realized you can open your inventory with they key I or E ? because you have lots of things in your inventory you could have used.

Anyway, for the next update I’ll make it a little easier, just to make sure no one gets too frustrated in the first few hours of game.

Thank you for the feedback !

[quote]Refused to set unsafe header “Content-length”
Refused to set unsafe header “Connection”
[/quote]
Using Chrome on Ubuntu. It shows the loading screen, and then shows a blank white screen. Actually, I have this problem with a lot of applets, except I realized that there was a console this time…

Using Chrome on Ubuntu. It shows the loading screen, and then shows a blank white screen. Actually, I have this problem with a lot of applets, except I realized that there was a console this time…
[/quote]
I think chrome automatically denies that famous security dialog… I’ve read something about that.

Really nothing I can do, my applet must be signed because of the networking stuff. I guess you should change browser when playing applets.

I think chrome automatically denies that famous security dialog… I’ve read something about that.

Really nothing I can do, my applet must be signed because of the networking stuff. I guess you should change browser when playing applets.
[/quote]
It works just fine on chrome for me. Of course, I’m not on Ubuntu at the moment. I’ll test on Ubuntu a little later and let you know if it works or not.

Hey guys, new versions is up!

Major modification is that now I’ve added a fancy magic and skills screen.
More spells and skills are revealed as you level up.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8738/rmagic.png

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5162/rskills.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As always, further balancing and added more areas, enemies, items, etc, and polished a little more with effects, sounds, etc.

I’ve finally included Full Screen support, and also an option to reduce performance in case you have a crappy overheated laptop like mine.

Some numbers as of today:
30 areas
98 items (including weapons, accessories, armors)
31 enemy types
23 skills
16 achievments
17 magic spells (5 of them only used by enemies)

Some screenshots:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9003/rscreen1.png

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8956/rscreen2.png

I am currently working on a website, and hope it will be soon available.

And here’s the link to play it:
www.reignofrebels.com

Feedback is much appreciated!

Finally finished a presentable website for the game!

www.reignofrebels.com

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8176/siteu.png

The site contains the game itself as an Applet, downloadable clients and some stats about the players.

I would really appreciate your honest feedback about the site and any suggestions you might have!
And to celebrate, also uploaded the newest version of the game on the site!

ever considering multiplayer?

it is multiplayer. That’s the reason you have to logon to a server.

good point. I must be blind ;D

This is brilliant, gameplay is much more fun than I expected it to be. Nice work!