Reign of Rebels : Online Hack and Slash

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/7594/rorj.png

So this is the game I’ve been working the last months .
I have reached a point where I think I have something worth to show people, and on the other hand I’m starting to lose motivation. So I think it’s time to release a version for you guys .

I will not say much about the game, since I expect the ingame information should be enough to play it .

Just create an account and go for it .

Some screenshots :

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9003/rscreen1.png

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8956/rscreen2.png

Comments :

It’s obvious that I was highly influenced by two main games (let’s see if you find out which they are :stuck_out_tongue: ), but I expect to extend this to something original .

I have only tested under Windows XP, I would appreciate if you guys with different system could provide some feedback on stability .

I’ve gathered at maximum 3 people to play online at the same time, and was stable . I hope to see more people online to see how the server behaves .

For the native English speakers : I would appreciate if you give some feedback on the dialogues . If you see some strange phrasal construction, or simply wrong words/sentences, please tell me.

and finally the link to play the game :
www.reignofrebels.com

I hope you enjoy !

inb4 “Boooo! It’s a minecraft clone!” :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks great! Keep up the good work!

Very nicely done!! Good stuff. On Windows XP too (no problems found, ran smoothly but I guess you know that already so not too helpfull!). No problems found with the English (checked 5-6 dialogues). Only issue is I got irritated moving the character around with the mouse… Any keyboard controls to move the little dude? (I tried a few, couldnt find, sorry if mentioned elsewhere!).

no, linux or mac natives? :frowning:

bummer, forgot to include the al_xxxx tags . Should work now . Thanks !

Ah right, thx, gets a little further now but fails with

[quote]Exception in thread “Thread-23” java.lang.NullPointerException: mode must be non-null
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.setDisplayMode(Display.java:250)
at platspecific.AppletM$1.run(AppletM.java:111)
[/quote]
Do remember linux and mac don’t support 32bit color, you’ve got to use 24bit on those platforms.

So cool. I tried to rotata my camera with mouse right button and that cost allways one potion. It’s sucks.
Can you make quick use buttons for inventory. Use 1,2,3,4,5 etc. Right button should turn or attack but not use stuff.
Is there a map somewhere? I get losted all the time. I accidentally sold my rags and there was no undo or rebuy button that was a bummer. I liked that there was no email required. Can I add email to my account later?

Inventories could be little smaller or transparent. Game is so good looking and half of the good stuff is under the UI.

Are you done everything yourself? Can you tell little more about tech? I am so excited about this game.

Fullscreen support? I want one.

Do remember linux and mac don’t support 32bit color, you’ve got to use 24bit on those platforms.
[/quote]
alright, just updated . Didn’t know about that . Thanks again !

Still getting same error.

I entered finntroll dungeon and this popped.

Exception in thread "Thread-25" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at entities.ClientBrick.<init>(ClientBrick.java:14)
	at mmclient.logic.ClientWorld.addWorld(ClientWorld.java:136)
	at mmclient.logic.MessageParser.parse(MessageParser.java:162)
	at mm.telas.MMTela.runLogic(MMTela.java:432)
	at platspecific.AppletM.rungame(AppletM.java:352)
	at platspecific.AppletM$1.run(AppletM.java:119)

I reconnect to server and I was in town.

edit: Fixed allready.

can confirm latest update fixes the issue, really cool game btw.

Yeah, I forgot to add the memory settings to the applet, and this dungeon is quite large :frowning: fixed now . Thanks for the report !
You’ll always respawn in town when you die/disconnect

I can make the quick use , no problems . I am reluctant about changing the mouse . I prefer it to be totally playable by mouse, to reach the non too hardcore audience .

not yet . It’s on my top priority . I myself get lost sometimes, so I imagine you guys will be pretty lost !

Sorry man, but that’s real world :slight_smile:

Not right know, but I’ll add it later .

I’ll look onto that . I agree that playable are could be bigger.

Yes I did everything by myself, except for the sound effects which I got from freesounds.org .
I used LWJGL (as you can see from the loading page) and some other libs (kevglass slick utils, paulscode sound system, and others). You can see the credits in Menu -> About

I modeled the 3d characters using Blender + Gimp for the textures and effects .
Goldwave for sound editing .

And that’s about it :slight_smile:
thanks for testing !

Thanks for testing !

there are no Keyboard controls right now, and I need to think well before implementing that, because of the networking issue. I don’t want to flood the server with keypresses . I might solve it as if the mouse were clicking the next tile you’re supposed to move .

Really good, I think you put my game to shame. :slight_smile: Well it’s good our games are pretty different, at any rate. :wink:

You should definetly make some clever item generator with random stats. You only need couple models and maybe different skinn but numbers would do the trick.

Just by looking at the pictures… Minecraft, and Runescape?

Okay, I’ve played it! It is really nice, and I ran into zero bugs. I’ll say Legends of Yore instead of Runescape now.

Windows 7
Java “1.6.0_25”

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not create context
	at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsContextImplementation.nCreate(Native Method)
	at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsContextImplementation.create(WindowsContextImplementation.java:50)
	at org.lwjgl.opengl.Context.<init>(Context.java:131)
	at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:859)
	at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:785)
	at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:766)
	at platspecific.AppletM$1.run(AppletM.java:97)
initgl
Exception in thread "Thread-14" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glEnable(GL11.java:1001)
	at platspecific.AppletM.initGL(AppletM.java:161)
	at platspecific.AppletM.rungame(AppletM.java:298)
	at platspecific.AppletM$1.run(AppletM.java:110)

this is most probably you don’t have a 3d video card, or no current drivers installed .

Minecraft, sure … but not Runescape nor Legends of Yore … I started before kev started LoY (I think) .

PS: just uploaded a new version with minimap .

This is awesome, did not get to play much but everything went smoothly for whatever I did get to do. Care to share any information on the networking aspect of the game?

Also, i cant imagine how you could lose motivation for a game like this, it looks like it has great potential and you have come so far, keep it up!