Preferred OS?

A few weeks ago I lost my C:/ drive and couldn’t recover Windows 7, so I installed Ubuntu. My main beef with it was the trouble I had trying to get Java working for applets and applications simultaneously. OpenJDK wasn’t working right, either. It was just really frustrating. I got Windows 7 again to fix my frustration.

I’ve never tried OSX, but I’ve heard really good things.

-Nathan

Actually, there are several “flavors” of GNU Linux, we call them “distros”. Lots of them are free of charge, some of them aren’t (Red Hat, some versions of Mandriva, etc…). I use Mageia Linux 1, this distro is a community-driven project lead by a foundation, I like this kind of organization. Ubuntu is nice but not good for beginners because it breaks too much habits, using Mageia Linux with KDE is less difficult, it is really what should be Ubuntu, a Linux distribution for human beings, not only computer engineers. As far as I know, there are about 45 viruses targetting GNU Linux whereas this number is closer to several hundreds for Mac OS and hundreds of thousands for Microsoft Windows. GNU Linux is not a black box, it respects your privacy, it doesn’t allow Microsoft to look at the content of your hard disks; if you use it properly, it can be a lot safer. It often just works as expected, I feel just better under GNU Linux ;D I never forget that lots of contributors like me participate to several free open source projects because they really think it is fair, they like sharing, they like this kind of organization, this way of doing things. There aren’t 2 distinct categories, we work together and lots of people consider that computer science should not be understood only by a few people but rather by the whole mankind. I really think that we don’t need bosses and managers, we are able to organize ourselves and GNU Linux is a partial evidence that it works. I only use GNU Linux and I advise everybody to use it, just choose the proper distro if you don’t want to spend most of your time in fighting for making everything work, avoid Ubuntu if you don’t want to have a completely different desktop. User-friendly distros require a very little effort.

Sven is going to fix that problem with applets and JNLP support.

Believe me, I would really like to.

But I need an OS where all my production stuff “just works”.
The whole Adobe Suite, Autodesk Software like Maya and 3dsMax; Sony Vegas and Acid. - These are examples of software which has to work. I have no time or motivation to learn alternative software like GIMP instead of photoshop.
Also if you have skills in Adobe software, thats something to brag about if you’re looking for a job.
Companies don’t give a shit about Gimp skills.
Bottom line: this software just has to be ported or work perfectly with WINE or whatever.
Another personal example is simple stuff like DVDVideoSoft for downloading videos from youtube and converting audio/video formats - In this case, its a very nice tool and I could use an equivalent

Linux Mint at least makes it easy to install all kinds of media codecs, which is nice.

GIMP is nice enough…but it’s no Photoshop.

GNU Linux: Mr. Stallman’s imaginary pet OS. I assume that it’ll disappear when either he grows up or HURD is finally usable. Current projection Q4 2112.

Well, GIMP is good enough for my games…and for Skyrim texturing.
It’s a hell of a lot better than Paint.

As to getting Java up and running on a Linux distro, IcedTea is the place to be.

http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/Main_Page

I’ll tell you one thing Phil Greenspun can’t do, and that’s tell a joke.

What do YOU want in an OS?

Hahahahaha I love it! ;D

I run Windows 7, which I enjoy. However, I am cleaning my computer with a fresh reinstall of Windows as well as Ubuntu, as fast as I can tear it apart and put it back together. So. Much. Dus.t T_T.

[quote]But I need an OS where all my production stuff “just works”.
[/quote]
Creating a cross-platform workflow depends on your software. 3ds max and Vegas aren’t really good choices. Here’s my suggestions:

Programming: Eclipse/NetBeans/IntelliJ
Modeling/Rigging/Animation: Maya
Surface/Texturing: Photoshop
Editing: Final Cut Pro (not the newest “X” version…) or Premiere
Foley/Score/Audio: Ableton Live
Foley/Voice: ProTools

All of these “just work” on Mac and Windows. :slight_smile:

To OP, pick one tool/software that you can’t leave and no alternative. Look on what OS it’ll run. Repeat this until you get one that only will run in one OS.

However I heard Mac OS is picky to certain hardware. Is it true?

Let’s write new one, the one that built from [impossible] Java not C++ nor Assembly [/impossible]

What I want in an OS is…

A UI and general feel something like BeOS without all that stupid animation and transparency and compositing, and designed by someone who has a clue (which currently looking at all 3 main OS flavours appears to be no-one).
The sheer slickness and general bug-free-ness of Mac OS
The power of the Linux shell under the hood somewhere (die cmd.exe die)
Drivers that mostly always work
And the few applications I use on a regular basis to be there. Which is Java, Eclipse, Chrome, Opera (for mail), Skype, Dropbox, Textpad, FruityLoops, Steam, FRAPS, etc.

Linux is just too fragmented to rely upon and doing trivial things is a nightmare. Mac OS walled garden and waste and dumbed down UI galls me. Windows me-too-I-wanna-be-cool-like-Mac has irritated me since Vista. (XP was rather good otherwise).

Cas :slight_smile:

Well learning another Software after years of experience is just not happening and unnecessary.
And I wouldn’t ever switch to Mac, just Linux. However Final Cut Pro is indeed the best Video Editing Tool. But I’m doing fine with Vegas and Premiere.

In related news, my windows 7 machine just froze after I double clicked a jar.
And by freeze I mean, as in whole PC, not even mouse moved anymore - Only choice: restart button on the PC.
I also get the Blue Screen “IRQL Not Less Than or Equal” like twice every month - on entirely different Windows 7 machines, mind you.

Both my desktop and laptop have Windows 7 64-bit, neither of them have ever gotten a BSOD. Windows 7 doesn’t cause BSOD’s, it’s usually the drivers :wink:

[quote=“Cero,post:33,topic:39083”]
Learning new software isn’t as hard as you make it out to sound. And in the end, having experience with a variety of software will make you a better game developer, and a more sought-after employee.

Imagine if you tried to enter the game industry knowing only Milkshape3D, Paint.NET and Inkscape… The pros would laugh at you. :slight_smile:

Why would you “never” switch to Mac?

Pretty sure you can switch off the goofy effects of OSX and install a theme that isn’t so “lickable” and you’re left with just the walled garden part. And no money of course.

[quote=“davedes,post:35,topic:39083”]

Well years of experience do make a substantial difference.

Well yeah because the pros use Adobe and stuff. I opened Paint.NET maybe twice, always use Photoshop.

First of all annoying aspects of the OS:

• I need two mouse buttons
  • OS Menu bar transforms to Program Menu bar, wtf
  • I had to work with a Mac for 5 min a couple of months ago: I couldn’t even copy a folder, seriously.
    I was drag and dropping, “right-clicking”/conext menu, but there was no copy option, nothing worked, and I really tried. It’s crazy.

And I mean the main reason should be incredible obvious ?
The price.
Paying $500 for a laptop or like $3000 for the same hardware with Mac, with no advantages, just an annoying OS. Hm…

When I buy Hardware, especially Laptops I try to save as much money as possible.
I specifically look for Laptops that have Linux or no OS installed, because I do know that they include the price for Windows otherwise…

As a matter of fact: I need my laptop for work, and I bought it 6 years ago, HP laptop with a single core sempron, still running, all great.

I don’t like Macs either. Or at least the current state of them. I’ve used 10.6.8 at school, and I hate it.

It sucks that you’re too stubborn to learn new software/systems. Adaptability is a very important quality in the world of technology. Regarding your points…

1. You can left/right click with Mac. (On the subject, the Mac Magic mouse is by far the best mouse I’ve ever owned.)
  2. This may be personal preference, but I’ve come to find Mac’s implementation to be more intuitive. For one, it’s consistent and uses Fitt’s law. More importantly, though, it leads to less clutter. Windows wastes screen space with unnecessary duplication (i.e. the “Help” menu item, which does the same thing regardless of the active window). And since I generally use keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl + S) instead of navigating slowly through context menus, I much prefer Mac’s minimal and clutter-free design.
  3. You can copy a folder with Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V. Or you can Alt + drag a folder to copy it. This is part of Mac’s design ethic – having things “at your fingertips” rather than putting it in an awkward and cluttered context menu.

My main reasons for preferring Mac: increased productivity, lack of bugs/viruses/crashing, and a very consistent and much more intuitive UI design. When I’m working with my tablet in a workflow that moves between Photoshop, Blender and other applications, productivity is essential. Using Expose, Spotlight, Spaces, QuickLook, etc. makes for a much smoother and more productive workflow than what Microsoft and Windows has to offer.

Like I said, I used to be a Windows fanboy – but once I gave Mac a fair chance I realized I would never go back (unless, of course, Windows improves dramatically).

[quote]The price.
Paying $500 for a laptop or like $3000 for the same hardware with Mac, with no advantages, just an annoying OS. Hm…
[/quote]
I agree that Mac’s are overpriced and lack the hardware moddability of Windows. If you need next-gen hardware, Mac is a poor choice.

It’s just math, you will be spending a lot of time learning new software, unnecessarily: In the same time you could actually be productive.
And its also not beneficial, like I said: I 'm not gonna learn GIMP when the industry wants me to be good at Photoshop, and even like it more.
Or lets say Bender vs Maya/3dsMax…

Actually I tried this obviously, but it was like Apple Symbol + C instead, which I never tried.

Well I hate Microsoft and their crappy products the most, which leaves me pretty much with Cas’ take on this: All OS’ suck.