Overbind

How to get past the staircase?

Ok guys, I just made an IMPORTANT UPDATE :stuck_out_tongue:

First, thank you all for your feedbacks. It made me understand an important thing: I screwed up the level design !
So I worked on it, and I hope this time I am able to bring you something fun. I changed some existing levels (2 actually) and made two new more(new levels are mixed with previous ones).
There are now 5 levels.

Please give me feedback, so I can make changes to level design in order to improve this game.

@ Nate and Mickelukas: Thanks for playing until this level (you seem to be heroes ;D ). I made staircase path clearer on this update.
@ ReBirth: Sorry, no Desktop version, and I’m not sure to make one. But I think you can save the page to play it offline. ::slight_smile: (I did not try though)

Wow thats awesome. Nice looking, great feel and perfectly smooth. I got to the top of the green staricase, jumped over the river of lava with the pads flowing below me, but then stuck.

“Congratulation! You made it!”

CongratulationS (AVGN reference =D)

Yeah so, I beat it.

It only lacks a psycho AI taunting you and you’re good to go.

[quote=“Tim_Spekler,post:22,topic:39055”]
Applets are dying, support is already poor.
Just do it.

Ok, but how was I supposed to do it? I just want to know, because I failed to figure it out.

I’ll try the new version, but I do understand it is a puzzle game. It shouldn’t be super easy, else what is the point? Having to make a blind jump to attract to a pad you didn’t know is there is fine I think. The only problem is that there is no way to get unstuck. I’d like to see the level of difficulty kept high, but maybe add something that provides a hint on what to do next in case I get stuck.

You have something fun here, that I would come back multiple times to play it says something. Most games I wouldn’t.

Hear Cero, just do it! ;D

J/k I just want to collect some games that well polished from JGO member, to throw them at some scumbag’s face later.

@ Nate: You had to use magnet boxes that you see against the wall outside the staircase part. It brings you to a hallway “hidden” behind. You’ll understand with the update. And yes, I agree, a puzzle game like this should have a good amount of difficulty. Yet I now really think that I should have done it a better way
@ Cera: CongratulationS !!! (just changed it :wink: (It was 2 a.m. when I wrote it :stuck_out_tongue: ))

Awesome, managed to beat it now aswell. I guess the difficulty is fitting for a first level, but dont let the softies around here talk you into making it too easy ;D

The control while being mid-air (especially going backwards) felt a little weird sometimes, but that might just be me.
Great game! Looking forward to your future projects :slight_smile:

I made it!! :)) this is awesome!

I still don’t get how it used to be. The door in that room is no longer surrounded by walls. I came to on top of where the door now is but didn’t manage to get down to the door.

Now it’s much easier though, in my opinion too easy and there aren’t several possible paths to take to get to the end.

Mike

Now I made it! Great little game!
With a funny background story like portal and more levels I think you could sell it!

Nice game, works well on Windows.

It fails to work on linux because it can not find lwjgl_natives.jar (error 404) as pointed to in the html. It will also fail to work on mac as there is no macosx_natives.jar at the location the html is pointing to.

Also you seem to be using LWJGL 2.8.2 (almost 7 months old), you should update to latest LWJGL 2.8.4 which has lots of fixes (including some big ones for applets).

For heavyweight applet likes LWJGL applets the following parameter really should be used for more stability and speed.

<param name="separate_jvm" value="true">
<param name="codebase_lookup" value="false">

I also get the following security dialog:

This shouldn’t appear and indicates something wrong with the way you’ve signed your jars, likely a problem with your certificate (notice you use SHA-256 instead of SHA1) or the way you’ve signed lwjgl_util_applet.jar.

Also why is it that you need to use a self signed certificate? (pretty ugly experience for the users, especially with Java 7’s extra scary dialog). Looking at the libraries that you have used and game type you can easily just use LWJGL’s pre-signed jars and not have to sign the other game jars. By using the pre-signed jars you’ll not need to sign anything yourself (less hassle for you), you get a much nicer proper security dialog and end user will be less hesitant to try it and feel safer.

So I finally get time to try out this game…and the inevitable happens… :frowning:

Exception in thread "Thread-23" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Function is not supported
	at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkFunctionAddress(BufferChecks.java:58)
	at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL30.glGenerateMipmap(GL30.java:1224)
	at net.game.objects.MapTexture.generateTexture(MapTexture.java:81)
	at net.game.objects.MapTexture.load(MapTexture.java:28)
	at net.game.window.Main.start(Main.java:53)
	at net.game.window.DisplayApplet$1.run(DisplayApplet.java:35)

DAMN THIS CRAPPY LAPTOP! >:(

Gonna have to wait til I get back to my beast desktop to try it out :frowning:

@ Gjallar, jonjava: Thanks for enjoying the game !
@ Apo: Thank you too ! I won’t bring big updates to this game, but in any way I don’t want to sell it. I just had fun to program it and it feels good to see people playing with it !
@ kappe: thanks for your feedback which is really helpful. I don’t have time right now but I’ll apply your advice this WE. I really want to understand how to make LWJGL applets work as fine and clean as possible.
@ ra4king: I hope you’ll be able to try the game out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, I had a blast playing this game. I’m honestly disappointed that I beat it so quickly. If you keep up with the development of this I would play it religiously. Between you and me.

You have people signing up just to post in your thread. Kudos! Now, more levels! :smiley:

Played it again after 3 days, and I have to say it’s already improved a lot. The doors look awesome, the level restart is good.

I’m obviously not in the League of Dukes, but I think this should be featured. It’s hard enough to create a puzzle game that’s fun. Overbind has simple but good gameplay, nice graphics, and is pretty addicting overall.

Nice to see a good 3d game that isn’t a fps.

Agreed, the game has the makings of something fun and challenging, polish it up and you’ll have a great little gem.

well, imo this is actually the best java first person game I have ever played.

Okay, I finally succeeded in managing the signing process and removing the annoying security warning. :stuck_out_tongue:
Plus the Applet now theoretically runs on Mac and Linux.
So thanks to your support, I 've decided to add new levels on a regular basis so it can become a complete and fun game.
Here are the next updates I 'll work on:

• A new level (maybe two) once a week !! Until I die !! :o (nop, just kidding => until it gets complete enough)
  • A menu so you can choose between playing the full story from the start or directly start at a specific level

I will add the next level this Sunday.

@ Cero: OMG, that’s a really good compliment. You made my day ;D