Night Squad 2

You misunderstood what I wrote and you should read the terms of use of the Java™ Game Tome if you think that there is a contradiction somewhere:
"an addition of a new game can be refused only for technical reasons, for example:

• the game doesn’t work under one of the main families of operating systems (Macintosh, Linux, Windows)".
    I exclude programmers that have decided to exclude Macintosh, Linux and/or Windows users even though I know that some of them do it only for technical reasons. As far as I know, Elijah agreed with me on this point and I’m not alone, he only found it a bit strict. One of the aim of the Java™ Game Tome is not to become a website with games for only one platform whatever it is. If you look at the template Christoph showed, the logos of the main families of operating system appears. “Write once, run everywhere”, do you remember this? If a Java™ Game Tome allows platform-dependent gaming, it doesn’t respect this slogan of Sun Microsystems, it doesn’t respect the spirit of Java. The cross-platform notion is something very important in Java. I precise that I decided not to add one game that worked only under Linux, I’m fair and coherent, I exclude games that exclude users because of single platform compatibility.

I already suggested to create a section to submit games here, call this a gallery if you want, you already knew it. You spoke about a “friendly community”…
Is it friendly to threaten me of opening a gallery to compete with the Java™ Game Tome?
Is it friendly to suggest to do something that would ruin weeks of work of 3 people?
Is it coherent to give me lessons about how I should behave whereas you threaten me?
Does it broaden the market to exclude users because of single platform compatibility?

Please, if you decide to create such a gallery, warn us (Christoph, Elijah and me) as soon as possible to prevent us from wasting our time and then I will destroy the Tome as I don’t want to compete with www.java-gaming.org. You could have informed us earlier of your intention to do this, we wouldn’t have spent weeks in making this if it has to finish in the garbage.

Finally, the author has made a good game, he explained why he can’t port it under the other platforms, I understand the technical explanations. However, we won’t change the rule of the Java™ Game Tome about the cross-platform ability. In the viewpoint of users, we try to exclude no users (as all the games “are” cross-platform) even though it requires to exclude an extremely small part of the Java programmers (as games for a single platform are not allowed), it is a choice. ChrisM would exclude some users (those who can’t access to one of the platforms) but he would accept all the Java programmers. There is no perfect solution! In the both case, you can’t satisfy everyone. My solution is player-oriented, it fits into a website that mostly targets players (I confirmed that the JGT is player-oriented). ChrisM’s solution is programmer-oriented, it fits better into a website that mostly targets programmers and that’s the case of www.java-gaming.org. Therefore, on my view, my solution is not better than his solution and reciprocally. Night Squad 2 has its place here but not on the JGT. Please, if you want to go on speaking about that, don’t write here ChrisM, it would be better for us to do it on the thread about JGT as I don’t want to turn this thread into a Windows versus Linux thread. Do you agree with me?

That’s so called simulation/simulator sickness. It’s usually far worse if you watch others play, because your brain can’t compensate random movement. If you’re playing yourself the brain quickly adjusts to those movements, because they are directly linked to real world movements. Non-linear scales such as mouse acceleration make that a lot harder though.

The number of cores can be queried with Java.

System.out.println(Runtime.getRuntime().availableProcessors());

Ye, I ran that iotd thing. Unfortunately it never took off for real. With the server in Germany it was also somewhat messy from a legal standpoint. It used a hacked up Drupal and a hacked up Image module, which of course made it rather annoying to update. Bad idea… will never do something like that again. :slight_smile:

Ok, I’ll respond here for the last time:

I have no problem with this, how could I? I don’t run your site! I think that you supporting the WORA model is fantastic. Again no issues there. I was not referring to your TOU for JGT and, after reading your TUER site, I completely understand your motivation. No issues there. Oh, and I am pretty sure I remember the WORA mantra :wink:

Many have suggested this, including myself. It comes down to a matter of time and attention.

I can see how you may have read this as a threat, but that was not my intention and I apologize if it came across that way. What do you think I should do about offering promotion to those that don’t fit the JGT model?

[quote]Is it friendly to suggest to do something that would ruin weeks of work of 3 people?
[/quote]
If we promoted people that do not fit your model, how does that ruin your work? I love the idea of the JGT and support your efforts there. But, to your point, it does not fit everyone.

[quote]Is it coherent to give me lessons about how I should behave whereas you threaten me?
[/quote]
Again, there was no threat to you, so please don’t use that term. As for “lessons” on how to behave, I am not alone in the belief that you have been more argumentative and insulting to some members here. I appreciate your passion for Java and the support you give. I respectfully ask that you tone down the insulting nature of some of your posts, that’s all.

[quote]Does it broaden the market to exclude users because of single platform compatibility?
[/quote]
Yes, it, in fact, does. There are many reasons to use Java to develop games. WORA is just one reason, but not the only one.

[quote]Please, if you decide to create such a gallery, warn us (Christoph, Elijah and me) as soon as possible to prevent us from wasting our time and then I will destroy the Tome as I don’t want to compete with www.java-gaming.org. You could have informed us earlier of your intention to do this, we wouldn’t have spent weeks in making this if it has to finish in the garbage.
[/quote]
No reason to stop what it is you are doing. No one, especially me, wants to see that happen. My previous question about the gallery was not to derail your efforts. Keep going!

[quote]Finally, the author has made a good game, he explained why he can’t port it under the other platforms, I understand the technical explanations. However, we won’t change the rule of the Java™ Game Tome about the cross-platform ability. In the viewpoint of users, we try to exclude no users (as all the games “are” cross-platform) even though it requires to exclude an extremely small part of the Java programmers (as games for a single platform are not allowed), it is a choice. ChrisM would exclude some users (those who can’t access to one of the platforms) but he would accept all the Java programmers. There is no perfect solution! In the both case, you can’t satisfy everyone. My solution is player-oriented, it fits into a website that mostly targets players (I confirmed that the JGT is player-oriented). ChrisM’s solution is programmer-oriented, it fits better into a website that mostly targets programmers and that’s the case of www.java-gaming.org. Therefore, on my view, my solution is not better than his solution and reciprocally. Night Squad 2 has its place here but not on the JGT. Please, if you want to go on speaking about that, don’t write here ChrisM, it would be better for us to do it on the thread about JGT as I don’t want to turn this thread into a Windows versus Linux thread. Do you agree with me?
[/quote]
Agreed. Now that we are in agreement, let’s try to keep the discussion helpful, constructive and respectful of the community. Fair?

-Chris

cant run it :frowning:

no, that’s ok now :), lwjgl.dll in my system folder… let’s have some fun now !

arf, excellent game but after playing for some minutes, I got the following error :frowning: (screen hang)

anyway that’s cool!

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_05
Utilisation de la version JRE 1.6.0_05 Java HotSpot™ Client VM
Répertoire d’accueil de l’utilisateur = C:\Documents and Settings-DzzD-

Hi, I’ve watched the video, it looks awsome, really impressive for a school project. I didn’t download the game cause I
have already exceeded my monthly download limit (it gonna take me ages to download the initial 80mb). I will definitely try it when my internet gets better.

By the way I wonder why does the game content take that much space? I heard LWJGL itself is only a few mb big. So the rest of stuff are textures, audios and
rendering codes? It would be nice if you could squeeze the game into less than 20mbs.

I finally managed to give it a go…it looks nice. I don’t like the fact that the sniper rifle seems to be the only weapon and that you have to zoom in to use it, but that is just me. It worked fine and ran very smooth (Core2 Quad/3Ghz/4GB/ATI HD4870/Java6/Vista). I noticed that it uses two of the four available cores. Is that the rendering code, the physics or just some server stuff that is utilizing the second core?

The physics…

Took me a while to make it multithreaded, but the physics would have affected the game performance to much otherwise. If you have only one core, the game sets the physics detail to low by default.

atioglxx.dll is the ATI OpenGL driver. Installing the latest driver might help.

That’s a strange one. If anybody knows where this is coming from, let me know…

old jars in jre/ext folder on the users setup.

[quote]old jars in jre/ext folder on the users setup.
[/quote]

[quote]That’s a strange one. If anybody knows where this is coming from, let me know…
[/quote]
no I explained what that happend:

[quote]no, that’s ok now , lwjgl.dll in my system folder… let’s have some fun now
[/quote]
I had an old file there c:\windows\sywtem\lwjgl.dll

[quote]atioglxx.dll is the ATI OpenGL driver. Installing the latest driver might help.
[/quote]
will update mine, but as this bug doen’t appear all the time, dont sure I will be able to give you more feedback

Ok updated my driver, but nobody there to play :’(

EDIT: ok probably my driver I have played for 2 hours without any bugs :slight_smile:

I am little bit late to the show, but congrats on the great game ;D

Alright, thanks for trying it with the new driver. Glad that it seems to have helped (it’s hard to track driver crashes, especially when they occur randomly).

@kingaschi: Thanks!

By the way, there will be a fun tournament on Sa, July 12 at 5 p.m. GMT. There should be a bunch of people to play with then.

Nice work

Amazing work here, especially for a one man game.

-1 point if the game installs and uninstalls correctly (due to being windows only)
+1 point if the game doesn’t crash ever
+1 point if the game is slickly presented
+1 point if the game has “good” graphics that suit the game
+1 point if the game has “good” sound that suit the game
+1 point if the game’s overall style is “good”
-1 point if the game is original or brings a great new original twist
+1 point if your judge enjoyed playing the game
+1 point if the game is complete enough that doesn’t feel anything is missing
+1 point if you don’t whine and you demand nothing of the mods (simply saying “can you rate my game please” is fine)

Overall 8/10

A downside of the game is the huge download size, it could be problematic on slower connections. Should be fine for normal broadband connections though. Another issue is that the game is windows only, however given the quality and rarity of such Java games, an exception is made.

FEATURED.

Nice game. Worked very well. Firefox 4 beta 12

I’m getting this when I start any server:

java.lang.Exception: While calling game.Main.startGame(net.RemoteInterfaceUDP, int, [Lgame.Player;, int, int, math.Vec3, int, [I, boolean):
>org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid value (1281)
>	at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:56)
>	at render.ShadowMapFBO.<init>(ShadowMapFBO.java:98)
>	at game.GameMap.<init>(GameMap.java:261)
>	at game.GameBase.<init>(GameBase.java:176)
>	at game.Game.<init>(Game.java:31)
>	at game.Main.startGame(Main.java:1000)
>	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>	at net.Reflector.invoke(Reflector.java:205)
>	at net.RemoteInterface.receive(RemoteInterface.java:176)
>	at net.RemoteInterfaceUDP.receive(RemoteInterfaceUDP.java:156)
>	at net.RemoteInterface.update(RemoteInterface.java:244)
>	at game.Main.run(Main.java:660)
>	at game.Main.main(Main.java:148)
>	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>	at XClassLoader.main(XClassLoader.java:181)
	at util.GameUtils.rethrow(GameUtils.java:65)
	at net.Reflector.invoke(Reflector.java:243)
	at net.RemoteInterface.receive(RemoteInterface.java:176)
	at net.RemoteInterfaceUDP.receive(RemoteInterfaceUDP.java:156)
	at net.RemoteInterface.update(RemoteInterface.java:244)
	at game.Main.run(Main.java:660)
	at game.Main.main(Main.java:148)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at XClassLoader.main(XClassLoader.java:181)

GPU Driver: lmimirr
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5800  @ 2.00GHz
CPU Cores (logical): 2
MHZ: 1995
RAM: 2038 MB
Java Version: 1.6.0_24 x32
SND: Primary Sound Driver, version Unknown Version/Speakers / Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC), version Unknown Version/Digital Output Device (SPDIF Out) (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC), version Unknown Version/Java Sound Audio Engine, version 1.0
Desktop: 1280 x 800 x 32 @60Hz
GPU Vendor: Intel
GPU Model: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator
OpenGL Version: 2.0.0 - Build 8.14.10.1930
Game Version: Version 2011-02-10

Your graphics card does not support FBO, does it?