Night Squad 2

Unfortunately, there is not much going on most of the times. Usually there are people playing in evening (German time, GMT + 2). But you can test the game by choosing the Deathmatch mode.

Glad to hear that you like it.

Just to clear one thing up. This game has not been developed for educational purpuses only. I developed it as an external thesis (Diplomarbeit) for the company I work for (4Players). But I was doing all the programming by myself.

The models and 2D graphics were done by a graphic artist. The maps were created by a mapper. The coding was done just by myself.

Software Skinning (too slow in Java), system information (#Cores, GHz, RAM), mouse input (there were Problems with JInput) and physics.

Holy shivers, those screen shots look really amazing - just like the crisp scenes from counterstrike. Well done 8).

I tried it out, but got this exception a little after the applet loaded:

java.lang.Exception: Could not determine if map1.jar was modified.
at InstallThread.run(InstallThread.java:195)

Java 6 update 10, Windows XP.

What browser? Update 10? Latest ist Update 6 AFAIK…

PS: Might be related to update 10 being a beta version. The exception means, that the installer could not query the HTTP ETAG header field to see whether the version on the server is newer than the local one. Gotta test this…

Firefox 2. Yes, the java I’m running is only a beta, but it’s meant to be pretty stable… other games run fine.

So how does it work with this thesis, your company funds it in some way, together with a university? Sounds pretty cool.

Why would software skinning be too slow in Java? Why did you want to use JInput?

Unfortunately Java doesn’t have the SIMD part of SSE2

Especially with sqrt(…) you can get up to 4x performance improvement with C2D/C2Q CPUs. With earlier models, you get factor 2x performance using SIMD/SSE2.

Ok, it’s a interesting morning, so I’ll take the bait :slight_smile: Yes, you said his game is beautiful, no issue there. You “suggested” ODEJava from a “matter of fact” attitude and then went on to express your anger. Not the same thing as a helpful suggestion, really. As for OSX, it’s for an additional viable platform. What is wrong with that? Most of my friends are in the video game industry, many of them developers (or ex-devs as they moved into management) and I can safely say that I do not know a SINGLE one of them who runs Linux as their desktop. Not ONE. So yes, if you want to make a viable game, Windows and OSX are the correct platforms to target. If Linux gets it as well, then that’s goodness, I’m all for it, am an advocate for it and would love to see more of it! But, as the Stones once said, “You can’t always get what you want. But sometimes, you get what you need.”

And lastly, you are speaking for everyone here by stating that we would all be angry if a Java game came out for Linux only. Why do you assume that? As far as denouncing Windows only in the world, that’s your position, and not an unpopular one BTW. But I think that expressing “anger” over this is misguided. Disappointed, fine! But anger? I’m a little tired of all of the religious wars in the tech space, TBH.

Now, one last point. You state that if this author gets his game working under Linux and OSX that you would recommend that he submits to the Java Game Tome. I have a problem with this. He programs using Java and, because it does not work on other platforms, he is excluded from that venue? I read your paper on your site titled “Plea for a fair access to video games” and I better understand the motivation for some of your comments here at JGO. However, does fair access exclude Windows only users? If so, your position goes against the spirit of your paper. As well, that means your site will not be truly open, nor provide access to anyone seeking to build a game using Java technology. Why would anyone submit to that? Perhaps I should just open up a gallery page here, get more disk space, and have everyone host here?

Look, I appreciate the passion that many of the community members have for Java as a technology and love to see us work to broaden the market for Java games. But, these kinds of discussions only drag us down and, this is not the first heated confrontation I have observed recently. Let’s work to make the community stronger, welcome new members in here (it is really a friendly community, honestly) and discuss the differences without getting too worked up.

Any chance of the image of the day thing that’s been bandied around for years? Not suggesting a JGT thing, but maybe just an image that could be submitted and shown on the front page somewhere? Not sure how much time you have but I’m sure some of us here could do the admin of it.

Infact, didn’t onyx used to have an image of the day site?

Kev

Love to do it Kev. Anyone want to help me make a mod for SMF for this? Help me find one or write one?

-Chris

Installed the beta on XP and Firefox 2. Worked ok for me. Maybe it was just some internet problem. Just try it again one more time. Thanks.

I love FPS games and that is all I play(Counter-strike:Source and TF2, I am a hardcore gamer I would say :slight_smile: ) I am open minded though.

This game is really awesome.

I just racked up 4560 points, 300 points/R, ping 140-200, fps ~80.

There were only 2 guys on the server and the skill level was high. One guy told me he saw 50 people online at one time "but only when there are ‘events’ " he said.

The atmosphere is really cool especially the lightning.

Of course its not perfect - better graphics and more guns would most likely make me want to play this more regularly. I hope you will continue to work on it as you’ve done a great job so far.

It is really impressive how easy it was to play (In terms of deployment and game play).

Same error. Hmm, maybe it’s the firewall here, because you say you don’t use normal java webstart to download stuff right? In that case, I’ll try it at my folks house without a firewall and tell you how it goes.

Hello,

I happened to try it when there were a couple of other people logged on earlier, and enjoyed it greatly; I haven’t played a multiplayer FPS for too long, it seems. My score wasn’t much to brag about, but I was definitely starting to get into it. I did spot a bug, I think, with the shadows. When some lightning went off, I could see the shadow of someone on the level above on the ceiling. I think that’s an accurate report; I was a little preoccupied at the time ;).

Well, it’s my first post and I’m going to register my opinion on a slightly contraversial issue (although I seem to siding with the majority like the sheep that I obviously am)… Something like this being restricted to Windows does not ‘dirty the image of java’; quite the opposite. It shows that java is capable of running something of a pretty decent technical standard (I’m not saying I could do better, but it’s not the latest unreal engine beater - let’s keep some perspective on the industry). It also demonstrates the benefit to deployment, particularly of more casual titles. Tech savvy people will generally understand from this that with a little extra work, a similar standard game could certainly be made cross-platform relatively easily - and perhaps even a considerably more advanced one. A less technically competent java game that runs on more operating systems will not encourage the people who could most aid greater establishment of cross platform java games to look twice at java; it will reinforce the stereotype that java isn’t up to doing anything particularly advanced. For most people, particularly in the games industry as it stands, the impression generated is a prolonged “pah, java… whatever”.

People already know that java can run things more easily cross-platform than certain other languages; they need to be convinced that it can perform well enough for their needs, too. Incidentally, why is it that when I see a page with a big java applet, I basically expect it to crash my browser? That’s a general observation, not levelled at anyone here, and indeed this game is a good example of the format doing impressive work.

Regards,
Peter

REALLY NICE GAME!!!

It has a really nice casual/online feel to it and is very accessible. Both good gameplay and technically impressive. I only tested it on a laptop with a “nipple” so didn’t get any real game going, and I found it annoying that when I right click I all of a sudden aimed into the ground rather than where I was looking. Is this a trick to give players a chance to dodge? I will have to try it with mouse and see if I like it better.

It is getting very hard to ignore your whining!!! It could just be that you have a problem getting your thoughts across in English? Either way, when several people here point that out, you should probably take that to heart rather than lash out even more.

Anyway, great game, great map, graphics and sound!

I’ll try to push for a lunchbreak skirmish tomorrow to really test it out :smiley:

That’s not supposed to happen. Please tell me if you have the same problem with a mouse if you test it.

It’s really good to hear that you guys seem to like the game. Usually I get something like "nice, but I stick with CSS, COD, BF, ". Of course you cannot compare the game to multi million dollar productions. Guess the difference is, that you guys know how much work is involved in creating games :slight_smile:

Hi Peter, you observed that correctly. The lighting is not correct in this case, but it’s a trade-off where I decided i could live with.

BTW: I have a long list of features that I would like to add. The game is very far from being perfect, there is so much more to do. :slight_smile:

Argh! Blocked by some firewall here at work. >:( So I can’t test it with my work buddies. And I can’t test single player either, so no aiming test yet. No server available for download is there?

No, sorry.

n.o.p.

Check your messages. Want to talk to you :slight_smile:

-Chris