NewsFlash - Winner

“Chapeau bas” Cas ! (Chaz, Brendan and Mike too !)
(congratulations)

Lilian

Congratulations team PuppyGames! ;D

Uhuhuh thenkew.

Cas :slight_smile:

Congratulations!!!

[quote]Does have an interesting take on the Java Quake demo, the media called it
“an experimental game called Square Heads”
when in fact, the group that mdid the port is called SquareHeads.
[/quote]
Actually, the game is called Squareheads. There is no group. I did the coding, and id software did the gfx :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Congratulations!!!

Actually, the game is called Squareheads. There is no group. I did the coding, and id software did the gfx :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
Still crashes after 1 sec in the game on this Radeon 9700 Pro of mine, down with NV extensions >:(

Congrats CAS

JCD, it does the same thing to me :slight_smile: Nvidia GF3 Ti200… leaves my gamma all bright tho so I have to restart. But that’s for a different thread!

Still no announcement for the other games eh… I was hoping I’d hear from them today, but its getting late.

He’s alive!!! ;D

Congratulations Cas and the rest of the team! :slight_smile:

[quote]Congratulations!!!

[/quote]
Ooops!
I stand corrected!
Great job (on both counts ;-))

Has sun contacted you (directly) about winning yet cas? Or are you in the dark as much as everyone else not at javaone?

Congrats to all at PuppyGames for yet another addictive game. Hurry up and finish it so you can take my money :wink:

Grats man. ;D

You deserve it.

Congratulations to all PuppyGames coders! :smiley:

Hm, Chris has been here, taking part in some general discussion, but still leaves us uncertain about the contest.

IIRC, the contest rules said that all winners are announced during a J1 keynote, which IMHO is the most significant part of the price due to the publicity it generates.

So, did that happen? Or is it still to come?

Chrome was talked about and demoed. SquareHeads wasn’t mentioned but was played on stage and raved about it’s performance. Super Elvis (puppygames, a uk company) was announced as the winner.
It’s all available here:
http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/media/features/javaone.html

it’s in the:
Speaker: Scott McNealy, CEO Sun Microsystems
Topic: The Java Community is Thriving
part 3 (after Looking Glass).

Yeah, but Puppygames is only of the contestants demoed!! Right?

And thats against the rules! IIRC four should get the honorable mention. Beware they are not fullfilling their part of the contract!

Imagine, 10000 people listening, hundreds of thousands watching the webcast, press reporting.

This generates hits en masse, lots of downloads, huge reputation. This is highly valuable! Worth much more than the gamespy SDK.

Congrats Cas and well done to all at Puppy Games :smiley:

[quote][…]
It’s all available here:
http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/media/features/javaone.html

it’s in the:
Speaker: Scott McNealy, CEO Sun Microsystems
Topic: The Java Community is Thriving
part 3 (after Looking Glass).
[/quote]
Doesn’t work :-/

Tried everything on two machines (98se/2k) with 7 different browsers (2x IE, 2x FireFox, 2x Mozilla and Opera). Oh and yes, flash is installed, real and an up to date windows media player and yes I know that only these two IEs are supposed to work and I’d of course disabled all security settings - it didn’t help.

IE just totally crashed my comp and I’m somewhat pissed off (I mean more than usual :P). Why can’t we just get an old fashioned plain link to a goddamn video, which just works everywere? Because it’s too easy? Thought so >:(

Man… I really wanted to see it :frowning:

[quote]Yeah, but Puppygames is only of the contestants demoed!! Right?

And thats against the rules! IIRC four should get the honorable mention. Beware they are not fullfilling their part of the contract!
[/quote]
Deep breaths, Herc! ;D

I’ve just watched the video stream, and there was no demo, no screenshots, no big announcement. Basically it was Chris saying “the winner of the competition was a game called Super Elvis developed by PuppyGames. Congratulations to PuppyGames.”

I guess that there’ll be a big announcement of all the winners, screenshots, demos, URLs etc at some later date?

oNyx: Give this link a whirl Linky

GD

I would hazard a guess at the convoluted delivery method being due to the fact that it is an interface to lots of Sun related media

[quote]Doesn’t work :-/
[/quote]
On FireBird on my first computer it just complained that Real wasn’t present. (Of course it wasn’t present - it’s a serious development box! Real is a goddam nightmare to have installed on a box you use every day.)

So, I switched to a different machine. Mozilla just produced an almost-blank page, and disabled the right mouse button so I couldn’t find out what was going wrong. Naturally, the window was created via JavaScript so it took some fiddling to get the page URL.

Now I switched to IE on the same box. It worked, but it didn’t use Real but WMP. I know this, because it crashes like a bastard with obscure WMP error messages. You know the ones - “click here for more details” -> “no more information is available for this error”.

Well, eventually it worked, but why oh why can’t anyone do streaming video correctly?