New feature: appreciation results in post medals

“Intended” being an unwritten rule with a precedent that suggests there is no rule in effect? I see plenty of people award frivolous medals, you said the thread (and thus medals) would disappear, and you waited until three weeks after the fact.

Is that the reason, or did something come up later that made you act on that, or was I guilty of something before that time that you still are not happy about that warrants belittling responses if you are courteous enough to respond to me?

I don’t think I’ve seen more than 2 medals awarded to a post per user. o.O 6 is kind of a lot and its kind of pointless. You’ve shown your appreciation and… yeah…

There were no reasons other than the medal spamming. You seem to know what you’re talking about most of the time, which is why it surprised me you resorted to that, yet I decided not to make a fuss about it. It’s kind of the opposite of what you insinuate in your last paragraph.

He removed those medals a few days after the fact; and, that was that. I made my point with awarding Riven’s post medals. I don’t plan to award spam medals and still think that less is more with respect to recognition.

He removed my own medals and ability to award them very recently. Given what Riven has said about coding new website features and his hesitation to use heavy handed moderation and the fact that me awarding Riven too many medals is in the past, it seems like I was targeted. My last awarded meda (I think. I only vaguely remember.) was to another member’s joke. Maybe it was something that could have been misconstrued as an insult to Riven. Or admin or anyone in power.

This decision seems unreasonable and unprecedented. I got the the message earlier when all my medals in that topic were removed (even to members that deserved medals.) I suspect there is a different subtext now with a message directed towards me. I want to know what it is or what happened if it was a misunderstanding.

No, I removed them, and your ability to award them immediately after I received medal #6 on that post. You might have noticed it recently, but it was all done three weeks ago.

I already explained that your medal spamming was the sole reason, yet you seem not convinced. I can’t help you with that, except stressing what I already said before.

Hmmm… I really don’t understand this too much at all. (It is reminding me of the Shameful Chit-chat incident…)

It doesn’t even make sense that 1 user should be able to award 1 post multiple awards. I assumed that feature didn’t exist, but what is preventing that feature from not being abused in the future. It seems to me that things like this can be prevented. Why wait for someone to take these guidelines to the extreme limits before action is taken?

There is an lot that can be improved. Why would I spend months to patch it all, if I can just as well trust the community not to abuse features? Moderation of bad behavior is a few orders of magnitude less work than preventing every possible attempt at it.

FYI: the Appreciation feature piggybacks on SMF’s karma feature, which allows awarding a karma point every hour.

I wonder if you’re confused about the time or number of posts I made. I habitually check the tooltips for my own awarded medals and other people’s just to see who’s given them so far, so I am pretty sure it worked last week. Six sounds high. I think I made 4 awards plus 1 more in another post. Did you delete my first five and mistake another person for me after that? I definitely noticed the changes at different times. I assumed you were making website feature changes when the link disappeared and was too intimidated to point such things out anymore.

How long did coding for the exception take versus coding for prevention of multiple medals? Isn’t there a insert unique command in SQL?

Seriously man, let it go. ::slight_smile:

http://indiespot.net/files/temp/jgo-mod-bue.png

I removed those medals immediately after that, within 5 minutes. I rest my case.

I love the thought of that code actually existing XD

why do you have a domain_seized.jpg there ? :smiley:

http://www.java-gaming.org/domain_seized.jpg :stuck_out_tongue:

Wut.:persecutioncomplex: Did we just stumble over Riven’s last resort weapon?

This is the most important thing, this needs answering.

You think this was accidently revealed? Don’t you guys know me by now? The question is: how does this relate to the Vault?

I suspect the kid in the room with the fortune cookies knows what’s going on here…

Ive payed some “money” to get a bribe entry or whatever. nothing happened and now i dont even remember the page to redeem your money points things

head hurts from thinking about this ???

See it from the positive side. The consequences were remarkably easy to live with.