Migration to sourceforge and SVN

Some days ago I requested two projects on sourceforge named xith3d and xith-tk. Today they’ve been approved.

As stated on the dev-plan 1.0 and accepted by the community I’ll move the CVS code to SVN from dev.java.net to sourceforge… if nobody objects. I’ll try to migrate the history as well.

To not to make a too quick rush, I’ll wait until sunday. So please don’t commit anything to CVS from sunday 12:00 AM (GMT+1).

And please send me a PM or mail, to ask for membership on the sourceforge projects. Don’t forget to register on sourceforge first.

We should mark the dev.java.net projects something like “migrated” or so. Son’t know if that’s possible.

Together with the migration I’ll make the step to rename the “com.xith3d” package to “org.xith3d” just as discussed earlier.

Marvin

Wow, big changes coming… Stratagem (my game) is now also officially a sourceforge.net project (not yet committed, though).
PLEASE try as much much much as possible to keep history or we’d better keep on CVS.

We can put a note on dev.java.net projects with “go see on sourceforge.net” but I have owner access only for xith-tk, not xith3d.

[quote="<MagicSpark.org [ BlueSky ]>,post:2,topic:28374"]
Wow, big changes coming… Stratagem (my game) is now also officially a sourceforge.net project (not yet committed, though).
[/quote]
yip. :wink:

PLEASE try as much much much as possible to keep history or we’d better keep on CVS.
[/quote]
Well, there’s a documentation to be found on sourceforge to do this. I thik it won’t be a problem. But if it - agains all expectations - won’t, it’s not a too big problem, since the case when we needed to revert to a privious version doesn’t happen too often. And if you just want to have a look into an older version, you can easily use web-cvs on dv.java.net.

We can put a note on dev.java.net projects with “go see on sourceforge.net” but I have owner access only for xith-tk, not xith3d.
[/quote]
No problem. We have time until Will comes back again.

Marvin

I tried to make the migration to SVN, but this task has to wait for a moment :’(. To really migrate all of the history I need a copy of the RCS files from the dev.java.net CVS projects. I sent a message to the dev.java.net people to offer these files to me. So we’ll have to wait until these guys report to me.

Or maybe I misunderstood something. Does anybody have an extended CVS knowlegement and can tell me, that this is not necessary? Then I would happily being guided by you ;).

Well, CVS will be the current version system for some more days.

Marvin

I got an answer from dvd.java.net about it:

Unfortunately we can’t get the RCS files without paying for them. So I guess we have to migrate without the history and look into it on dev.java.net, when we need it.

So if nobody has a better solution, I’ll do the migration on Saturday 12:00 am (GMT+1).

Marvin

What about the price tag? If it is not too expensive we could just throw the money together!?

History is valuable if you do manage to get it. The java.net project may get deleted if it is not updated for a while too. Hopefully the admins get back to you…

SourceForge is good as they let you download a repository snapshot, and SVN is definitally well worth the pain.

How much does CollabNet want for the SVN repository dump? I’m sure you’d be able to raise it if it wasn’t excessive.

Cheers,
Will

I’ve just sent a mail to Padma and asked for the price for the two options. Let’s see…

Marvin

I think whats-is-name has made Cvs-dev-java-net to SVN-sourceforge migration for JOODE without paying anything. Can it be ? (Marvin, go in Game Physics section, “JOODE Dev Progress section”)

OK. Will do that, when I came back from cinema ;).

What are you gonna see ? ;D

Crank (don’t know if it is the same title in france). It was really a lot of fun :).

From the trailer it seems cool : but I didn’t succeeded to find the french name of it.

Here is the interim reply:

I’ve just got an answer concerning the costs for getting the repository dump. And fortunately it is for free ;D ;D ;D

Here is the mail quote:

I guess we still want to migrate to sourceforge. So I’ll ask Padma for the dumps. As you can read I need a second person for both projects. Amos and Will, could you please mail me your contact information? I don’t know if Amos or me are enough for the core project so we need Will for this. But for the toolkit Amos and me should be enough.

When I have the contact info I’ll post a new time frame, when the migration will be done.

Any further questions?

Marvin

PS: I guess, instead of binary files we don’t have any non ascii files in the projects. Am I right?

Sent.

Nice one.

As far as I know there are no non-ASCII characters in the repositories, so that should be fine.

When the new one is setup, ideally you want the standard (but not enforced) “trunk” and “branches” SVN layout so that you can easily branch the code for releases/stable versions.

I’ve emailed you my phone number (in case you didn’t already have it).

Cheers,
Will

Please give me your sourceforge nick. I’ll give you admin rights. In case I don’t get it this way, you can maybe help me out.

Thanks. No I didn’t have it.

Cool - thanks. My sf username is ‘divzero’

Cheers,
Will

Added and set permissions.