Mercury: The Simple 2D Game Library | >> BETA coming soon <<

Keep up the great work sir!

That’s what I’m going to do with my project, I personally like choosing which parts to choose, it just allows for more flexibility and you can integrate helper libraries with any type of library, whereas with an engine you’re limited to what the dev allows. And you don’t have to write as many functions and its easier to maintain. You can add in new features without worrying about lots of dependencies too!

Plus, I’m just lazy and writing an entire engine is a pain :wink:

Like you said, split it, but still offer the entire engine as a option for download. I think some people would rather use the engine, and it would be silly to stop coding it after you’ve come so far!

Woah! Who said that I would stop coding it?!
[/quote]
Sorry, I meant the actual engine. Creating a utility library is far different than creating an engine, and I just wanted to make sure you didn’t just quit!

I like the idea of seperate librarys working together to make an engine. Its much more flexible. I just
wouldn’t suggest the separation if you think it would cause either a decrease in future features or it
would take an exorbitant amount of time.

The point of my comment is not neccessarily to split it, but to remove dependency on every part of the library.

For example, Texture Loading.
If I want a utility to do it for me, I don’t neccessarily want to have to use their Texture class, or have to find which overloaded method to call when all I need is a standard texture loaded from some path.

The point of utility code is to do one thing, and that thing is… wait for it…

What it is supposed to do.

If it is doing anything else without you wanting it to, it is not a very good utility.
In some ways, it can even be harder to write a utility library with all the functions as a full engine.

Wesley,

I sent you an email because I couldn’t figure out how to PM you. Hope you don’t mind!

Cheers,
Andrew

BTW, the library is looking gooooood!

Really, really, really nice update!

I can definitely relate to your pain with Bitmap fonts, they’re horrible. I’ve just kept using them because I wont use Java2D and haven’t found a better solution. :-\

Ah, my fault. It seemed like you used it for rendering too. :stuck_out_tongue:

I see you’re using the GPL. I’m not sure if that is such a great idea.

Really if this is to be used for making games, people should be given the choice of whether they want to open-source or not.
Otherwise you’ve lost nearly all you market straight away.

Maybe the LGPL would be better suited? (If you wanted the GPL in the first place)
You can use it as a library for non-open sourced games, but derived works must still be under the LGPL.

Easy workaround: I doubt anyone would complain about you giving more freedom, but if you want to keep things legal, all you have to do is change the licence for all future versions, while keeping previous versions under the GPL.

Just use this license :slight_smile:

Of course if you didn’t want the GPL/LGPL in particular in the first place, there are plenty of more free licenses out there:

Best resource I’ve found on choosing a license: http://choosealicense.com/licenses/

Will be starting work on the project tomorrow!

I now officially have 3 game engines I’m supposed to be working on, it seems.

My main list of things to do is built up of level stuff and optimization, which will be really fun!

• Jev

Good job guys!

What did you use to create the image? I quite like how it’s organized!

Is alluminum(aluminum) supposed to be spelled like that? :slight_smile:

It’s a program called XMind!

And as Wessles said in a Reddit post, it’s apparently supposed to be misspelled.

XMind is amazing thanks! In under 10 minutes I organized everything I need to do in the immediate future for my tutorial series!

I had seen a screenshot of xMind at some point, and despite multiple searches, could never find it!
So thanks a bunch ^.^

Hey Wessles, check your inbox please!

I went to the Github repo and had a quick look through some of the code.

Check the issues for some of the things I found.