Lost beauties of Game Design

So in the last few years we’ve seen almost all games’ design, indie and AAA, stagnate as they move towards highly finessed design instead of the leaps and bounds of innovation that used to be seen by successive releases from companies like id software and valve corp. I want to take the time to discuss missing things in today’s great orgy of hyper-realism and highly controlled design.

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/28478872612145982/7DFD11933C16E05501ECAB66973E0CBBE7C543D6/

Quake II
Secrets

Hidden areas used to exist to encourage people to search every nook and cranny of a level, and reward them for having encyclopaedic knowledge of a game. One would think that in a time where steam sales are inversely proportional to the capacity of one's wallet, games would have begun to look for ways to not only entice the buyer, but to keep them hooked. And yet, rewarding adventurers seems have been pushed aside in place of easter eggs and collectibles, in the few games that allow people to wander off at all.

Easter Eggs seem to be next evolution of secrets, with often hard to reach areas holding a funny joke or a miscellaneous poster on the wall advertising “50% off: Rage 2, Doom 5”. While the few games that have these easter eggs, they offer no reward for the discovery of these places, either immediately or long term. The advantage of rewarding your players is that they get to have an advantage themselves over other players, perhaps getting a rocket launcher earlier than if they had not, or a speed boost for your speed runners of the game. Rewarding veteran players of your game is a no-brainer in creating a game for maximum success as it allows each player of your game to become a walking advertisement for your product. No longer are your players simply people who play the game, perhaps mentioning it in passing conversation, but avid “Hey, you must try this game!”. Easter eggs don’t do anything but had a humorous layer, very rarely are they done well enough to create a game with any form of longevity. Like everything however, there are exceptions, with things like the last easter egg from Halo 3 (2007) only being found last year, 7 years after the game’s release.

Collectibles are another offshoot of secret areas, most commonly used in third-person open world fighting games such as the Assassin’s Creed series and the Batman: Arkham series. While these games ensure players to keep coming back to the game long after beating the main story, it has several drawbacks. It has no integration with the game’s story, providing rewards in the form of a number, not a physical reward such as something simple like some spare ammo. This design isn’t a complimentary offering to the gameplay, but a forced supplement to extend the player’s playtime. It’s honestly little more than lazy design to create an expansive world and yet have most of it empty, barring collectibles.
Furthermore, collectibles offer a tangible way of knowing how many secrets you’ve yet to obtain. If your secrets are secrets then you know how many more are to be found, and by extension, have your customers put down the game upon completion. One could argue that collectibles bring more satisfaction to the players through it’s tangibility as players can see how far they are from success, but I’ve never felt anything more than frustration when trying to find all the trophies and flags in an area.

Crash Bandicoot
Lives

Once upon a time, in every game you played, you had three lives, or attempts. Be this the game, the level, the area. Unless you found more lives in the game, you stopped playing after a few tries. This was likely due to the move from arcade games to home entertainment, but it was a good design feature nonetheless. Now, as a disclaimer, not all games benefit from lives. A game like Call of Duty simply isn't built to be compatible with lives, however something like[url=http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/grapple-android-2d-platformer/35151/msg/332328/view] bornader's Grapple[/url] would work perfectly with them. Lives are a great way to impose difficulty without feeling artificial, as they façade as a form of redemption, while allows the developer much more wiggle room in the border between challenging and punishing. It also allows you to impose a steeper learning curve on your player as he replays the game many, many times.

Nowadays either dying has no impact except putting you back a few minutes, or a lot by taking everything you own. Lives are a great way to act as an intermediary between these two things. While not punishing you for a single death, it punishes you for repeated failure.

edit:
f**k hit submit topic by accident
this post is still a WIP please be kind
edit2:
okay pretty much done now you guys can discuss and whatever.
just stop laughing

You are terrible at keeping secrets!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Hahahahahahaha… catches breath… hahahahaha ;D

The Portal series had tons of both Easter eggs, and secrets, though none of them really awarded you, so I guess they are different.

One thing that may offer the player a “reward,” is that at one point Glados forbids you from bringing the companion cube along with you, but it is possible to bring it into the next area. If you do, you are scolded, the companion cube is destroyed, and you get an achievement.

You learn the chell is the daughter of one of the aperture workers when you pass through the ruins of a bring-your-daughter-to-work day event.

You can find rooms with scribbles on the walls about rat man and the inner-workings of Aperture. (six of them exist through the game apparently)

And there’s even one point where you can find the Borealis ship from the Half Life games. Other things from the Half Life games are present as well, such as posters and awards that can be found around the Aperture offices that imply competition between Aperture and Black Mesa.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/P/Portal%202/Everything%20Else/Easter%20Eggs/secondplace--article_image.jpg

Most of these secrets give you a deeper glimpse into the underlying story that isn’t really necessary to play the game, but helps you feel closer to the story and characters. Some give you awards like an achievement, but most do not, and even though they do not reward the player in any way, they added a lot to the game for me. How would they be classified, and are there any other games where secrets like this are present?

In my opinion, Portal 2 is the most beautiful game of all time, and I mean that in every sense of the word. Arcade-style games that are meant to be fun but lack any story are good and have their place, but Portal 2 is seriously the gold standard in video game design. The amount of detail and story that is in the game is truly amazing.

The further back you go in time the more developer had free reign.
In the documentary once upon atari you hear about this a lot, they just got payed and had to deliver a product at a point, not even work hours where controlled at all.

The reason games today have those details less than back then is that the target audience changed. Back then the audience were people explicitly interested in video games.
Today everyone tries to broad and broaden the audience and demographic, the reason is obviously to maximize profits.
Making games is a business. Why put in easter eggs that 98% of the players will not see if it costs money because developers have to invest time.

I mean it sounds pretty negative but its because the game industry got so big and greed for more and more money is so paramount in this society.
Doesnt mean you cannot put the effort in or other people don’t, but thats the reason mainstream gaming doesnt not bother usually.

I remember the guys from Volition, when asked why Saints Row 3 had a less detailed city, said something along the lines of “It’s not worth it to put effort into things that a minority of players will enjoy”, and thus they focused on big set-pieces, as is the norm nowadays.

I really can’t fault them. From a business perspective it makes perfect sense.

I’m guessing the tight release schedules are what really limit creativity in many cases. Having to churn a product out for a set release date will force you to focus on the most profitable parts first, and we all know that in today’s industry, even those parts end up being shipped in an incomplete state.

I get what you mean, and while I think it would produce awesome results if a AAA studio would go nuts with creativity instead of playing it safe I totally understand why they develop games the way they do.
Also, it’s not really taking that much away anyway as the innovative games are still being made, but they’re being made by indie developers and/or being crowdfunded on kickstarter rather than being made by the big studios.
I think Jonathan Blow sums it up neatly in some of his talks on game design and how big companies are getting it wrong.

I agree with you that many games benefit from a proper penalty for failing, and that many modern games are lacking this, but again this is something that is true mainly for AAA games as there are plenty of perma-death games still being made, albeit not by the big studios.

Also, you used the world “perfectly” in a sentence where you referenced my Grapple WIP which my very selective consciousness interpreted as “Grapple is perfect”, and that made my day ::slight_smile:

It’s simple: the bigger the the budget of the game, the less risks will be taken.

http://www.ctrltheworld.net/junk/cycle.png

first of all, not adding many many details and easter eggs does not mean the game is of low quality.
AND EA makes a shitton of money, so it seems to work, just release the same game every year, there you go

When you have a team that love what they do and they are not super pressured then they might go the extra mile. Valve does this every single time, because thats how they roll; also Kojima when he is in control. in general japanese devs do this more, since they are mostly more plot based

There are some people which just pop out, with no warning, into a world where every game is just super-realistic graphics to say:
“Hey! Who needs good graphics! I got balls blocks!”

Although, when Minecraft came out, I don’t think graphics where as good as they are today…

IMHO, I think there needs to be more god-like free-rome games which just let you do whatever you want…

Errr… when exactly do you think Minecraft came out? 2009 isn’t exactly too long ago, especially not in terms of graphics advancement. It’s not like Notch chose to use the textures he did because of some computational limitation, he chose those textures because he thought they fit well with the rest of the game.

That, and he probably isn’t the best at art like most programmers…

I have never actually looked into when Minecraft was made… Never knew it was so recent…

Well, I thought it was made in first half of 2000’s, and my sister thought it was made in 1998, so it isn’t that rare opinion.

Most people would consider a design feature which causes people to stop playing after a few tries to be a bad design feature. A more qualified view would be that it’s a feature which appeals to the hardcore élite and repels the mass-market / casual player, so it should be something you offer as part of a “hardcore” mode and not in the “normal” mode.

Of course Dark Souls and its sales do disagree but in general, yea

This is why I can’t wait for No Man’s Sky.

Well I disagree. It will lack direction and the random nature will compromise the quality of level design.
But we will see.

Like Populous? Although I think that was more Greek-based. :stuck_out_tongue: