[Libgdx][Akka] TAnima- mmo rogue-like

ybPRBU26QgU

Update:
-Fury mode- player can lose hp in fury mode
-Character class basics-
–fury mode is character class dependant (not weapon like before)
–character classes have different attributes, fury modes and in future- modifiers and hats :smiley:
-Mutation system added. TAnima will mutate our champion from time to time. Mutations are imaginations of human’s fear in TAnima understanding. TAnima cannot understand human feelings in common sense so it’s imagination doesn’t fit our reality. Each mutation has got it’s pros and cons as follows (order like in the vid/gif):

• Punk(Addiction)
    • pros- kleptomania- auto item pick
    • cons- player has to do drug sometimes (otherwise he’ll take a dmg)
  • zombie
    • pros- player heals when enemy dies
    • cons- player is losing hp in time
  • life support system
    • pros- player is healing in time
    • cons- player is taking 2x dmg from hits
  • ghost
    • pros- 50 percent dodge chance
    • cons- 50 percent miss chance
  • courier
    • pros- player can carry as many items as he wants
    • cons- player sometimes drops random item from his eq on the floor
  • steroid
    • pros- crit chance increased
    • cons- player can die cause of heartattack if he attacks too freq. He has to wait a moment for his heart to get stable.
  • modified-heart
    • pros- double damage to enemies
    • cons- one hit dead to player (glass cannon)
  • anti-vaxxer
    • pros- cannot die in fury mode
    • cons- cannot take medicines (potions)

What do you think? :slight_smile:

Update:
2 types of servers:

• Action mode:
    Play as you saw before

• Tactics mode:
    Play like old, good Rogue :slight_smile: Everything stops untill you move (For mmo-> move vote system or beat based sync)
    PS: Tactics mode can be used for streamers for playing with community via text chat (TAnima is integrated with Discord but other channels looks easy //todo aswell)

Today, TAnima servers has been distributed
How it works?
Why?
Wtf is this?
What are you talking about?

Usually, MMO serwers are based on instance per world. It’s simple and nice approach because developer doesn’t have to face many problems related with data synchronization. But… It loses on scalability. What could we do if number of active users exceeds the limit of our server machine. It’s a serious problem. What can we do if machine with more resources is for us unavailable to buy?

Today, machines are evolving by increasing its number of cors instead of speed. It’s hard to get machine with enough power to carry on our app (sometimes it’s impossible). Because of this ppl thinks about concepts like “microrservices” or some distributed system arch. But it’s not that easy. Because of its nature, so many problems that doesn’t exists in “monolith” app, happens here. If someone was facing MMO game problem, he knows what I mean :slight_smile: MMO-(whatever-gender) fits this one.

Because of this problem, TAnima server has been designed on top of Actor model (Akka implementation- java/scala). It fits well the DDD style. For me, as the programmer who started from asm and was working with Spring/JavaEE tech in my job, actor model was something new. For a long time it was unacceptable for production purpose. I was wrong.

If someone wants to create a solid MMO-game and would like to know how to use my approach- I can create separate video/description about it. It’s not that easy. It’s requiring a lot of work, determination, open-mind and wisdom. And ofc- You can do it other way. It’s just one of the concepts. For me- one of the best for this kind of problem.

I’ll be thankful for your comments :slight_smile: If you are interested in this specific topic- let me know :slight_smile: It’s a hard one. I can explain it via some video/textdescription :slight_smile:

Presentation:
-Virgo server- Action mode
-Libra server- Tactics mode

Update:
-World HUB- new player is connected to the WorldHUB where he can select the world to connect to. For now there are two worlds: Virgo(Action Mode) and Libra (TActics Mode). World’s names are based on Zodiac signs (starting from mine one- Virgo). Player can go back to it from the town level.
-Class selection- for now there are 3 classes (Rogue, Warrior, Wizard). Player can choose it by interacting with spiecified monument in the World HUB

World HUB will change along with available servers and character classes :slight_smile:

Alpha teaser:

KWOpZaqRz0U

Week, maybe two and first alpha version will be completed :slight_smile:

Nice teaser I really like the music!

From a marketing point of view I’d suggest you shorten the duration of your trailer to approximately ~1 min. Unless you have a vast amount of visually distinguishable content or cutscene footage I think ~2 minutes are too long because the content you show quickly feels too repetitive.

I think you do a good job though at showing different aspects of your game like the fighting, traps, riddles etc., but i’d shorten it a bit. It would also be cool to include multiplayer footage.

Personally I also have mixed feeling about the dialogue at the beginning. It somehow arouses my curiosity on who TAnima is but on the other hand it appears to be a quite shallow dialogue because the viewer absolutely has no addition context. From my understanding it appears like TAnima is hunted by a human or something? How ever I don’t get this feeling when watching the teaser.

I’m a non native english speaker but I think when you quote: “You wont understand it" it's rather common to simply say "You wont understand” especially because it’s clear what the it refers to.

Just my two cents, keep up the good work :slight_smile: !

Thanks @ral0r2 :slight_smile:

It was more like a showing some new stuff that by accident converted into “teaser”. On the official one I will spend much more effort including some voice acting and high res promo graphics (I hope xD). And it’s too long just as you said.

Plot is also a little mysterious right now. After finishing basic mechanics and releasing alpha for networking testing I will focus on providing more resources and plot itself.

Just for clarification about the plot: Humans finds new source of energy on newly discovered moon. They started to exploat it as the fuel for their space ships and machinery. They’ve built a big mining tower surrounding crystal’s surface. After some time they’ve discovered that this crystal is a living form (not just some rock like they thought before). It fired up it’s immune system which traped miners and started extermination. After this incident, imperials decided to convert this tower into prison where criminals will work on mining fuel. Crystal started to learn about humans, abstracted itself into synthetic voice and injected into minds of affected prisoners. It suddenly stopped massive human extermination and started symbiosis. No one knows why. Tower has been absorbed by crystal, changing it’s structure into imaginations gathered from human mind (same as spawned creatures). It is still learning and not understands humanity same way as humanity itself which leads to weird conclusions and twists. TAnima is the name of this tower-crystal. It will be described in first few minutes of gameplay :slight_smile:

I am not native english speaker as well :slight_smile: I’ll need someone to check grammar before releasing officials.

J8x9SMjVnM0

Today I’ve added:
-First version of basic SFX
-unlocking new character classes
-blackbox- you can save 3 items for next incarnation

Also few things like cinematic effects and login screen :slight_smile:

kkERb09RAvE

Wow! It’s amazing how much you’ve achieved in so little time. The game looks great and funny (humor is very important I think). Good luck with further development!

Hi, great job.

You can weave in the story line into the game and unveiled it partially when user accomplishes task, finds a holodisk, uses a computer or talks with somebody. It will entice players to dig deeper what had happened.

Thank you guys! I’ve started working on soundtrack now. Maybe 3-4 will be enough for first version.

@meva, that’s right. I wanted to make it similiar way. I’ve divided development process into few stages. For now I am finishing basic mechanics and content to start testing networking along with testers and release first dev demo.

Next stage will be: providing content (plot, graphics, new levels, monsters, quests, weapons etc) :slight_smile: But it will be after initial release.

TAnima OST: Like it was yesterday

AEWospKSbeQ

Next one will be more dynamic

Congratulations, keep on working.
You have moved from engine design to production stage:)

I have a question, but maybe I missed it, what does TAnima mean?

Thanks :slight_smile: not yet but it’s at the corner. Still need to do some things and tests. Yesterday I was testing performance and it looks like 8x2GHz CPU and 16 GB RAM can handle about 1000 users. I want to check clustering now.

About what TAnima means- quote (I hope it describes what TAnima means :)):

Thanks for the explanations.
You have rather a powerful server, I mean not a home PC:)
Its yours or do you rent it somewhere?

VPS :slight_smile: For now I was looking for some cheap provider for testing.

Performance test resources:
Hosting: tiktalik.com
System: CentOS7 64b
Size: Standard- 16Unit
"Each Std Unit supplies 1 GB RAM and CPU corresponding to 1000MHz.” - tiktalik comment
Price: ~142pln/month (about 40$/month)

Thanks, sounds good.

I will check it out.

I was working on clustering. It works now.

Below htop from cluster of 2 machines each with virtual 4cores x 2GHz and 4GB RAM.
Load: 800 client bots connecting to server and running all the time with freq 5 moves per second.
Server loaded enough to not affect ping (around 22ms on client’s 100Mb/s connection)

I’ve also created load balancer to move connection between serwers along with player’s moving around game levels shards. :smiley:

1 Like

TAnima OST: Going back in time

Tb_I57JRFtI

TAnima gameplay 27.06.2018

ecxvVBQU97M