[Journal] TinyRoll

Been a while, trying to have a go at this tiny game contest. It’s basically a rolling ball game (I’m a fan of them generally) with some limitations based on the contest format. Not quite sure if it works out yet but here’s a quick test to check things work and you can get round ok.

http://www.cokeandcode.com/applets/tinyroll/

Just want to know if you can control the ball well enough. I have plans for the traditional spikes, bad guys, teleports, switches etc.

Any feeback appreciated,

Controls pretty well for me. Scrolling is also pretty smooth, I think it will work out fine.
Glad to see both you and Markus in on this contest I think we’ll see some impressive stuff before the end.

Works great here. It took me a while to even notice the number in the upper right corner, though. =)

Nice. I think the controls can be improved a little.
Maybe slow the jumping slightly, it was hard to control. Also the movement could only move 2 pixels at a time minimum, could you make it so you can move 1 pixel minimum at a time ?

The ball has some momentum, so it’s hard to move one pixel at a time. Sorta meant to keep you moving.

Agreed on the jumping tho.

Kev

Clicking on the applet makes Internet Explorer hang.
Vista, IE8, Java 1.6.0_20, not fixed by a reboot.
Simon

what you need is real browser like Chrome or Firefox (3.6.4)
separate process plugins make it much harder for them to hang the browser :slight_smile:

hang here too on IE8/vista

pff… those are just 100 times worst than IE… this is just the same “fashion” to use FF as it is to use linux… it work worst but it look cool & geek-like

sorry for the flame, but you hit first :slight_smile:

Same config, and it works fine (32-bit hardware and VM). Also controls work fine as well.

Not sure whats going on with the hang, will look asap.

Updated to include switches, thin platforms, disappearing platforms, spikes, a target, start screen and stats screen after the complete first level.

Seems to be running much slower in the applet compared to the test rig I use locally. Need to investigate that too.

Kev

FYI: I’m now seeing the hard hang. No system changes.

Just tested on IE8 on windows xp and can confirm that it does hang the browser.

Game starts, can see ball and everything, then just freezes up.

unsigned applets really should not be able to do that.

It should be filed as a java/plugin bug.

It runs smoothly here since the first version .

It would be nice if I could jump using the arrow key up, so I can play using only the right hand and have my left hand free to do something else ::slight_smile: .

Works on Chrome with j6u20 32bit windows 7 at home, fails with chrome on winxp at work, just get a white page, the applet never starts, nothing in the java console and the process hangs around after the window is closed and has to be killed. Our proxy at work has a habbit of screwing things over sometimes though.

Endolf

Woah woah woah! Can you frame limit it? It must be going around 100fps it seems on my PC.

Just updated could I get a retest please :slight_smile:

Kev

Works perfect for me.

Windows 7, Firefox 3.6, JRE 1.6u11.

cool little game. It reminds me of Markus’ megaman 4k game.

lol @ if you forget to let go of the arrow keys at the end (when your score is displayed), your time keeps rising :smiley:

Better, but still not right. The applet doesn’t hang now, but I couldn’t get it to respond to key presses.
Keep trying!
Simon

Cool demo!

Maybe you’r running into this bug which got me this morning:
http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=352404