[Journal] Cyber Amazon

http://jalex.se/javagaming/screenshot3_cyberamazon.jpg

http://jalex.se/javagaming/screenshot5_cyberamazon.png

This is how far I have come with my game. It is just a test level so far. Let me know what you think of the control etc, or if you find any bugs.

I haven’t figured out what the goal for each level will be yet, but probably just to get to the exit. Every 3rd or 4th level there will be a boss.

What is left to do:

• more enemies
  • bosses (at least 3)
  • levels (around 7)
  • sound
  • and a lot more…

Play at 1x
Play at 4x
Play at 8x
Play at 16x

Wow, that’s really rather good! More levels please!
One tiny suggestion: usually in platform games I’d expect my character to automatically grab hold of ladders when falling. But maybe that’s just me.
Simon

Thanks alot! :slight_smile:

Automatically grab hold of ladders when falling? Do you mean without even pressing up or down key?

Hello FruitMaze,

Nice game. Real smooth on all tested OSes:
Acer Aspire 5740, Windows 7 , Internet Explorer, jdk1.6.0_20
Mac Mini, Snow Leopard OS X, Safari, jdk 1.6.0_20
Suse 10 (Virtual Machine), firefox 2.0.0.14, jdk 1.6.0_19
HP Compaq 6820, Fedora 8, Firefox 2.0.0.10, jdk 1.6.0_04

Not a fan of shooters and platformers, I’m afraid, but good job so far!

Maybe it is for debug purposes, but pressing space cycles
through the different resolutions without adjusting the canvas…
I was hitting space bar instead of the x to shoot all the time :slight_smile:

Best regards from

M.E.

Yes. If you’re dropping (or in the second-half of a jump) and you’re over a ladder, then switch to climbing mode automatically.

I don’t know whether that behaviour would be an improvement but it felt missing to me. In particular, if you walk past a ladder that you’ve just climbed up, it seems strange to fall back down it.

Just a suggestion though. Feel free to ignore it. :wink:

By the way, is the game intended as a tiny Metroid clone? And if so, will we see other Metroid features?

Simon

Hello me

Thanks for testing it on those systems.

Oh yeah, that resizing function when hitting space bar is just for debugging. I forgot to remove it. :slight_smile:

Ok I see what you mean Simon. I will think about it, it could be that if she jumps towards a ladder she switches to climbing, but if she just walks past it she ignores it.

Well Metroid is an inspiration source for this game, but I won’t make it a clone of it. For example this game will probably be that you for each level walk from A to B, then get to the next level etc.

Very nice game ! Smooooth.

I disagree with the auto-ladder-grabbing . I prefer the way it is now .

I would, however, change the jumping key to UP arrow key . I found myself pressing up all the time to jump .

When restarting a level, I also prefer the shot button , instead of enter . I thought it hang up when I lost life and couldn’t get to restart . Or maybe no “restart” at all, why not just to reborn ?

edit : funny things happen when I press jump while on a ladder

Anyway, good game ! Made me think of ways to improve mine so I can compete with yours !

Thank you! :slight_smile: I also prefer UP key for jumping, but when I added ladders to the game I thought that climbing on the ladders definitely has to be UP and DOWN key. So therefor I had to use another key for jumping.

No “restart” screen at all sounds like a better idea. I think I will change it to that!

UPDATE!

The first two levels are now finished (unfortunately no sound yet). I have fixed all of the bugs in the game that I know of.

Let me know what you think!

Play at 4x
Play at 8x

What is left to do:
-Graphics to bosses
-Boss movement
-Boss exlposion
-A few more enemies
-More levels
-Sound

graphically great.
a game like this really needs the extra levels.
Do you think you will get them finished before the dead line?
If not I was thinking maybe you could loop the level with a harder difficulty.

Thanks! There will be more levels, my goal is 12 levels at least, but I’m not sure I will have time to finish that before the deadline. But hopefully.

Pretty awesome game.
Here’s a minor bug for you:
When you enter a door at the end of a level, the player sprite pops back up if you press left/right after it goes through the door.

Ah good that you noticed that! I will fix that soon.

The first time I shoot and the first time I kill an enemy the game halts for about 4-5 seconds. Reading something in that takes a long time?

(doesn’t happen the next time I play as long as I don’t clear the java cache)

That’s worrying… I haven’t seen that problem. I load all resources via a jar.file, so I guess everything should be loaded when the game starts? Does it happen everytime (after cleaning the cache)? And what OS are you using?

UPDATE!

-6 levels and 2 bosses
-sound is added
-some new enemies
-fixed a few bugs

The sound is a bit buggy. Sometimes the sound won’t stop, and sometimes it is too slow to play the sound. I’m using the AudioClip class for playing sounds, but it obviously has some issues.

Play at 4x
Play at 8x

Works well, pretty cool little platformer

fruitmaze, I would recommend paulscode sounds library . check this thread out . It solved my issues on Zombie Defense (and I could change wav to ogg, which is waay smaller) .

I still havent tried the new version since I’m at work, but I’ll soon give it a shot .

Thanks for the link teletubo. Will check it out.