if you are not a programmer, what would you be ?

a philosopher

A film-maker.
I make video games b/c I feel a game is a more interactive film. A game with good cutscenes and story is a good game to me! Plus, I feel like I am in the movie!

Good, then you could finally explain what Negative Zero is

An artifact of one’s complement number representation. It’s one of several reasons every modern CPU uses two’s complement.

Thinking about it… This question can be very important. Pretty much everyone of us are just an unfortunate accident away from being incapable of performing as programmers (at least not professionally).

I have a friend who nearly was there. Had a motorbike accident and bust up his right wrist. After many surgeries he recovered enough mobility to keep working, but he was very close to being assigned slapped with a disability seal and told he couldn’t do his work anymore (receiving a nice disability check though).

I really hope I can opt to move into a team management position if I ever face such a situation.

If we’re sharing stories that stop us working, in Feburary I fractured 4 vertebrae in a motorcycle accident.

Protip: Don’t try this at home.

Wow, sorry to hear that.

I was mostly referring to how crucial the ability to type is to holding a job as a programmer, and any accident that busts up your hands can easily put you out of that market.

4 vertebrae, that’s serious on so many levels though. Hope you’re doing OK.

If I didn’t program, I would be a professional redditor :stuck_out_tongue:

I would never ride a motorcycle. there are too many idiot drivers on the road where i live.

Its at least something you should think about - do you do more effort to protect your arms and hands (which ultimately means that you live very carefully and minimize risk) or do you just live your life assuming that nothing will go wrong? The professional thing to do would be the former, but on the other hand - work is not the #1 priority in life.

I can testify to how easy it can be - in January I broke my ankle because I slipped on an effing pool of ice on the floor; I couldn’t do any programming work for about a month (operation, recovery, etc.), and then for another month I was working at home lying on the couch; not exactly comfortable and I was only 50% productive, but at least I could do something. I could have also broken fingers, both my wrists, an arm, a shoulder or a collar bone depending on how I landed and then I’d probably be out of the running for a far longer time. All because I didn’t pay attention to where I was walking, I was too heavily engaged in conversation with coworkers.

No need to obsess about it. My point is that there should always be a plan B, so wondering what else you’d do in life besides programming isn’t a futile exercise. :slight_smile:

robotics is something that interests me if i were to stop programming as a job. Of course there would still be programming involved, but it would be fun to build things that actually interact with the physical world.

Easy. Engineer or musician.

I’m not a programmer. I’m a technical writer.

I’m a programmer or not, I will be your friend, isn’t it?

NSA spy

We got a burn notice on you. You’re blacklisted.

Consultant.

Hey if that means Gabrielle Anwar for a girlfriend, sign me up ;D

high fives sproingie

Or Amanda Maples from The Fall of Sam Axe. ;D