[Idea] Would anyone be interested in a Pure Java game jam?

Funny enough, this is also when miniLD 62 is happening. The theme of that is “final boss”, so you could double up and do both jams. I’m sure there are others happening as well.

I’m thinking about people who might be new to JGO or game jams in general. You might want to provide more information for them: what exactly are the rules? What are some resources they might use to get started? Tutorials? Hosting?

I’m not sure how much you care about getting participants, but you also might want to make a post on the Ludum Dare website, or itch.io, or ask McFunkypants if he’ll tweet the deets for you.

I’ve decided to go on and have the comp, despite miniLD 62 is happening. So, if people are still participating, it’ll start this Saturday and end the following Saturday. So, if you’re participating, post the games to this thread. Thanks.

Oh I wasn’t saying that it being at the same time as miniLD is a bad thing: in fact, you might be able to get more participants if you “advertise” to the participants of the miniLD. Two birds one stone, and all that.

I still think you might want to consider making a homepage or itch.io thingy or official post other than this one. Mostly I’d like to tell some people about this, and it seems weird to send them to this thread, which is a bunch of discussion about whether we should have it. But it’s up to you!

I’ll see what I can do. I’ll probably whip something up tomorrow.

I have a temporary site whipped up at http://purejgamej.tk. Don’t judge, it was written in 10 minutes.

It was blank for me, there’s nothing visible.

He said don’t judge! :wink:

If you look at the html source you see the embedded content: https://sites.google.com/site/purejgamej/

Blank for me too! :’(

Dang it. May have screwed it up. Let me check.

EDIT: Go to this link instead: https://sites.google.com/site/purejgamej/

Well, the jam starts today. If you’re participating, would you mind telling me? You have until September 26th. Good luck.

I might tune in at the end of the week, but I’m not making any promises :wink:

I might work on a proof of concept for Vangard this week… I need to get the conversation system started.

I made a start to today on my project for the week. It’s not a game, but it’s something: a Monte Carlo tree search to playtest the Vangard combat system.

Am I going to win this one by default? :-\

I personally can’t afford to participate, I really need to finish my current game (which is, btw, pure java, but well I’ve been working on it for quite a long time) so that I have something to send to the school I want to apply at. I’m quite sure a game the size of the one I’m coding would be done easily in a week by some of you, but I don’t have the experience as it is my second game, so I need a lot more time. Moreover, I have to study for high school, get my driver’s license, and revise to take the IELTS English exam, as I want to apply to a school in Scotland while I reside in France. Hope I get it! ;D

J0

I’m tempted, but more focused on coming up with use cases for my audio software and trying them out, than making a complete game. Am also not clear about using the sound code I’ve been working on for many months/years that is not available as a jar or library to anyone else. I am reluctant to publish in part because I want to retain the freedom to change elements of the architecture–I got in trouble once already for making important structural changes that broke a collaborators contribution on another project.

Well, I won’t make the final deadline, but my lunchtime project has produced some results for the ideal first levelUp for a fighter who somehow has access to all fighting skills and always needs to fight average level zero opponents.

This shows the three attributes or skills to boost on levelling up, and the kill ratio achieved as a result:

strength constitution empathy : 50.5
constitution empathy mightyBlow : 50.6
strength willpower empathy : 51.1
constitution willpower mightyBlow : 51.5
strength constitution mightyBlow : 51.9
strength willpower mightyBlow : 52.0
strength grizzled mightyBlow : 52.0

dodge riposte dirtyFighting : 72.2
dexterity dodge dirtyFighting : 72.5
cunning speed dirtyFighting : 72.5
cunning attack dirtyFighting : 74.0
speed attack dirtyFighting : 74.0
cunning defence dirtyFighting : 74.6
dexterity defence dirtyFighting : 75.9

Dirty fighting is designed to predominate in an early level up scenario; it does not however offer benefits at higher levels of skill. I think I will tweak the balance to make strength a more significant component.

Lets say the fighter has to face goblins primarily (who are expert at dirty fighting and speed but not very tough), then these are the top upgrade options:

dexterity willpower cunning : 55.2
dexterity willpower dirtyFighting : 55.3
dexterity cunning empathy : 55.3
dexterity speed dirtyFighting : 55.5
strength cunning speed : 55.5
willpower speed dirtyFighting : 55.5
strength dexterity dirtyFighting : 55.5

constitution defence mightyBlow : 72.2
attack dodge mightyBlow : 72.2
constitution attack mightyBlow : 72.3
grizzled riposte mightyBlow : 72.6
constitution grizzled mightyBlow : 73.2
defence grizzled mightyBlow : 73.3
attack grizzled mightyBlow : 73.4
dodge grizzled mightyBlow : 73.5
constitution dodge mightyBlow : 73.9

I didn’t get to the point of making a game, however for school we’re doing the Google AI Challenge 2010, and I made a tool in Java2D for graphs and stuff, which is pretty cool.

I like your creativity! You should continue with this idea. :slight_smile:

OT: I’d like to see a more “officialized” contest, as this one was a tad sloppily put together. I’d join for sure if this was redone better.