[Idea] Would anyone be interested in a Pure Java game jam?

And here I am, coding using only JDK and “pure java” in Windows’ text editor and command prompt :persecutioncomplex:

Anyway, I have to finish my game first, so I don’t think I could be on it if it happens shortly :-
But maybe it could actually become a thing? Why not have that “pure java” contest every year or so? :point:

J0

[quote=“KevinWorkman,post:20,topic:55309”]

Oh oops, I forgot about that one. I don’t know then, some random holiday weekend might work.

It’d probably be better to not shoot for a holiday, but more like a weekend, maybe a weekend in September or October, in hindsight

Brainstorming: perhaps LD might actually manage such a competition for you, under its auspices. Just a thought.

Cas :slight_smile:

They do host mini-LDs every month or so. I’m not sure how you get to be the host, how “famous” you have to be, or how long the waiting list is though.

Well, I’m buddies with Mike Kasprzak so maybe I could whisper in his ear :slight_smile:

That would be pretty awesome, but…

He’s right. For me, if internet fame were cars, I’d be an Edsel. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had to google what that was, which I think proves your point…

After some thought, I’ve decided on a time for the jam. I’m thinking of September 19th through September 26th. This will give people hopefully enough time to make games, despite having to go to school/work. What do you guys think? As always, this date is up for discussion

I like the idea of having a full week. Most jams are over weekends, and I work a full day on Saturdays, which makes it hard to participate. Are we allowing teams?

If it’s a week long, then I’d definitely consider participating. I love using pure java haha

That’s sort of a tough question. I almost want to say no so it’s more fair for the people who can’t get teammates, but sure, I suppose we could have teams.

This is really good idea, but AWT is drawing me back… Would GWT count as well? I’d like to completely try a new thing this time…

Why not use JavaFX?

I could, but that is completely new to me. I know a bit of GWT though.

It’s really very, very easy.

:persecutioncomplex:

But GWT isn’t pure java, is it?

Anyways, a few more details about the compo:

• No set theme
  • Post games as replies to this thread, don’t bother making separate threads
  • Nothing other than the things (AWT, Swing, JavaFX, etc) that comes with the standard release of Java 7 or 8.

Is this the “official” time, or are you still debating? Is there a homepage or itch.io thingy for this jam? Or maybe just an “official” thread that lists the times, rules, etc in the first post? Right now it’s going to be hard for new people to figure out exactly what’s going on, since even the time of the jam is located 28 posts into the thread.

It’s the official time. Updated the post. There isn’t really a site for it yet.