How to make a good fight system?

Hi guys I’m making a 2d game and I’ll show you a quick vid of how the gameplay looks like already so you can quickly visualize what is the style of the game (don’t pay attention to music it’s far from final product and i won’t use it for release)
Ecr9LQZ9kh4

So, it’s kind of like a mortal kombat with sword and spells, so basically there is autoattacks, the player will automaticly do a loop of normal strikes if there is a enemy close to him. so all you have to do to do more damage is to do your spells for now.

But the problem is for the one who is attacked, the only tool to defend himself for now is by dashing (thats why you hear jump sounds every seconds in the video). For the dashing system I have added a “exhaustion” bar so that we don’t jump all day like in the vid.

So for now to win you just have to rollface spells and try with some luck to dodge some attacks with a dash but thats kind of random. I really want to separate good from bad players so the game need more depth than button mashing. I have thought about a parry system where you need to click a the right moment to block an incoming attack but again it’s random because the attacks animations are so fast and there will be situations like 2 players dashing to melee and both spam parry because they are afraid of taking a hit.

So yeah I think you’ve got an idea of what I want, what system would you implement to make a game that requires skill as well as being fun? :slight_smile:

Edit : There will be ranged spells as well

I’m really not sure what kind of advice you’re hoping to receive. This question is a bit too broad, as it depends entirely on the type of game you’re going for. Compare Super Smash Brothers to Mortal Kombat, or even old Mortal Kombat games to new Mortal Kombat games. There isn’t just a single correct way to do this, and it really depends on you more than anything. It’s a bit like an artist asking “how can I make my art prettier?” That’s really up to the artist.

[quote]But the problem is for the one who is attacked, the only tool to defend himself for now is by dashing
[/quote]
Then add blocking? :3

Overall I don’t think you need advice here, seems like you are on the right path if you are concerned about these things.
Just play some fast paced fighting games and understand the mechanics. Like I dunno BlazBlue, King of Fighters, Skullgirls… or Melty Blood my personal favorite :smiley:

[quote]I have thought about a parry system where you need to click a the right moment to block an incoming attack but again it’s random because the attacks animations are so fast and there will be situations like 2 players dashing to melee and both spam parry because they are afraid of taking a hit.
[/quote]
A) Well make sure moves are more telegraphed ant not super immediate. Timing and delays are everything is these games.
And B) This suggests you lack experience with fighting games. So again… get in there :smiley:

Ok you are right, I can’t really ask advices but your 2 posts will be enough I think :slight_smile: