Horde 8-Bit Waves Of Death! - [WIP UPDATED JUNE 26 2013]

Horde is a idea I had, where zombies will try to find you, and kill you. The zombies are stupid, and will not go around objects. They will try to go through walls to kill you, so you must either be swift in getting away, or bash the (un)living brains out of them. Have fun landing with different weapons, powerups, landscapes, buildings, and much more!

Promo pic:

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/4503/33qr.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/9922/tzwr.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/6775/r0zi.png

TO DO:
-HP system (ALLLLLmost done)
-Gameover (Funny that I still haven’t gotten to this…)
-Menu
-Use sprite sheet
-WASD controls
-Smoother movement
-Randomized land gen
-WIZARD WITH THE DEVELOPER’s WAND OF FREAKIN AWESOME!
-Fullscreen
-Better land gen
-Music
-Sounds
-Option for fullscreen
-BLOOD n’ GUTS
-By popular demand, BETTER-ER BLOOD n’ GUTS
-Lighting system
-Custom music! (from kpars)
-Options on menu
-WAY more zombie types
-Weaponz! (Please tell me about some weapons you want to see.)
-You choose!

DOWNLOAD

:slight_smile:State your thoughts after playing, and thanks for it!:slight_smile:

We are both kinda making the same game, but mine is probably not going to be zombies, Had to make a program for my major work for school, so I decided a endless horde mode game to, I thought the idea would be easy to make :slight_smile:

The funny thing is, I think we are both at the same point in development.

I suggest you adding W, A, S and D controls for movement, and if you have attacking in, say what the attacking key is.

Shows me a black window, waits around half a second and closes automatically.

Exception in thread “main” java.util.InputMismatchException
at java.util.Scanner.throwFor(Unknown Source)
at java.util.Scanner.next(Unknown Source)
at java.util.Scanner.nextFloat(Unknown Source)
at wml.Enemy.(Enemy.java:32)
at wml.Tilemap.textToObj(Tilemap.java:93)
at wml.Tilemap.init(Tilemap.java:37)
at wml.Tilemap.(Tilemap.java:22)
at wml.Level.(Level.java:11)
at wml.Main.init(Main.java:35)
at org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer.setup(AppGameContainer.java:433)
at org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer.start(AppGameContainer.java:357)
at wml.Main.(Main.java:23)
at wml.Main.main(Main.java:28)

Actually, its just my final year before I go to university.

for the scanner problem use this line of code, someone gave it to me during Ludum Dare because he knew what the exactly how to fix it.

it may not fix this problem, but will fix future problems for different countries.

scanner.useLocale(Locale.US);

I saw InputMismatchException and scanner in the stack trace.

after you initialize your scanner put the line of code in.

Yes, I did extract, I have the res folder and I’m not a mac.

EDIT: Nevermind, I replied before reading the latest posts. Your update works :slight_smile:

[quote=“wesley.laferriere”]BTW: It wouldn’t hurt to have helpers with pixel art/programming!
[/quote]
I don’t use Slick2D anymore, but I started with it, too. Maybe give us the source code and I’ll see what I can do, eventually.

[quote=“wesley.laferriere”]BTW: It wouldn’t hurt to have helpers with pixel art/programming!
[/quote]
Wait… what?
Didn’t you volunteer to do pixel art for some other project?

Looks great. Do you intend to have randomly generated maps?

i personally think that randomize infinite game play is more fun than campaign in any game but i know many think otherwise.

How many times must I say this:
(With the exception of really famous people), Games make communities, communities don’t make games.

Face it, nearly no-one will play your first few games outside of the people on this forum and those you ask to play it.

Just go with random generation. :slight_smile:

Sounds much, much, much more interesting than yet another zombie game… ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looking good, can’t wait to try it out today :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t use individual images for sprites. Make one big image from which you could draw things. The way you’re doing now shouldn’t cause any problems, but still. It’s just very wrong.

The game is so early in development that the only possible thing we can say that movement system feels pretty slick :slight_smile: Can’t say anything more :frowning:

EDIT-------------
One of my first games was with zombies too! :smiley: And I happen to have uploaded it to the mediafire. It’s not really very bug free nor is it finished. It has infinite levels and few weapons to choose from though!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/iglj4jv5saqvb6d/Zombie_Fighter.zip

I don’t understand why are you even using another folder for sprites? So people can edit them or what? If you can’t seem to properly export your jar with images in it, right-click your project and click refresh. Then try to export your jar again and it should export properly.

I don’t know which method you’re using for loading images, but I think the best one would be to do this:

BufferedImage image = ImageIO.readImage({yourclassnameherewithoutcurleys}.class.getResource("/image.png"));

You need to setup class folder for this shit. If you don’t know how that works, then just create folder in your project. Then go to project build path and click “Add class folder” or something that goes with folder. Then select the folder you’ve created. From what I see that folder is usually called “res” which stands for resources. If you want to get that object as URL, you can do {yourclassnameherewithoutcurleys}.class.getResources("/resourceName.extension");. You might also do .class.getResourceAsStream() which will return a Stream I believe.

I don’t understand why it makes a difference to anyone if someone uses another folder for sprites.

Organization. How would you like it if Sun/Oracle put all their classes in the same package.

That means that player has to extract files. Why would you make a rar file out of resources and then your jar file? You have a perfectly useful options to put all types of files into jar file and yet you don’t use it. It’s pointless and wastes everyone’s time.

Um… this really confuses me. If you are better at a higher resolution, why not just make your game in a higher resolution?!

16x16 is still low-res.