FPS drop when screen recording a libGDX developed game

Hi everybody!
I’ve been searching first, I promise!
My problem is, when I try to record my game at big resolutions (1920x1200, 1600x1200…) My fps drops from 60 to 30…

This could be normal, but I actually can record AAA games with ultra settings like Castlevania2. It’s not a hard disk problem either, cause I have an SSD disk. Soo, what could be the problem? I don’t think my game is sooo badly developed to do more stuff than Castlevania2 ;D is this a common problem?

Some screen recorders can destroy your performance (especially on Windows). What OS and recorder are you using?

I’m using dxtory (with a bunch of codecs like lagarith or x264) on windows8. I also tried bandicam

I don’t use Windows anymore but when I did I found the best screen recoder was Microsoft Expression Encoder

At least for me, I got perfect quality and no noticable lag.

Did you try busy loop running your game to see how much FPS it can make without recording? Maybe your game is barely able to put out 60 fps, which could explain the double drop in FPS.

always FRAPS.

I use ZDSoft recorder for game recordings, and Camtasia for program recordings.

I just tried it disabling vSync and stuff and it went from 800-1400 fps :o

FRAPS works like a charm! The only problem I see is that a 30 seconds video @1920x1200 was already 1.1GB!

I didn’t try ZDSoft nor Microsoft Expression Encoder…maybe if I see I can’t handle FRAPS file sizes I will give them a try.

Thanks for the answers!

Yes this is because Fraps records at lossless quality in a raw video format.
all you need is a little space ready to deal with that. after that you just put it in your editing program, edit it and encode it to H.264 or whatever you prefer and the size will be super reasonable again