Flash is a plague

I know you’re on Linux, but on Windows the solution for non-starting Flash is often to kill the offending “plugin-container.exe” process. FF happily gives you a little sad-face lego icon in the Flash applet space that you can click to restart it. So I’m assuming you can just kill whatever the plugin process is on Linux, no need to kill all of Firefox and your 100+ tabs.

Futurama, Friends, Big Bang Theory, and That 70’s Show are the only reason I watch TV ;D

Well at least Flex is Open Source and I think many people here used Java before it was Open Source. You also can improve a platform by developing libraries for it. Afaik since the http://www.openscreenproject.org/ you can develop your own Flash player like your own Java VM if you think it is nescessary. I guess it is just a matter of time when the player goes open source too.

Speaking of Flash, ever hear of the DJ project?

http://djproject.sourceforge.net/main/index.html

Actually lets you play flash stuff in a Swing app. Until someone attended me to this I was under the impression that it was impossible. How wrong I was.

The bad news is that some of it points at a computer. The good news is that most of it points toward the bar.

Same here, the only reason I need flash are video streaming sites and only youtube with html5 feature. In NoScript I block everything except applet. On bad side, I need to refresh a page in first time of load after put it to whitelist.

Adobe offers auto-update for Flash (i.e. silent updates like Chrome). IMO this is a good move for Flash and a well overdue feature. Something that Java should also implement.

UPDATE: better details on how it works found here.

About time. Every time I’m forced to click on their damn license agreement in their updater, I want to throw things.

I get like 10 “Do you want to install and reboot now?” reminders per day. It’s ANNOYING as hell. >:( If I said yes every time I’d spend half my computer time just rebooting.

Windows updates…
Adobe Acrobat Reader updates…
Java updates…
Flash updates…
Firefox updates…
IntelliJ updates…
etc.

I never update (automaticlly) 8)

1. Buy SSD.
  2. ???
  3. Profit!

Not so simple.

After you bought an SSD, you’re going to throw random items at your PC at work.

A SSD has limit of writing for each cell. It has shorter time of life, and all updates installation will speed it up.

The write-problem is not a problem that you can take seriously. You have between 10,000 and 100,000 writes per sector. Please do the math here. It’s unlikely that you’d write that often in a single sector. This problem is further negated by the controller that will scatter the writes to the same logical sector to different physical sectors, each time data is written. Even if you’re running a huge database application on it, 24/7 in a busy server, it’s not a problem. Maybe a dozen sectors will go ‘bad’ and the controller will avoid them, even further marginalizing the problem.

If SSDs fail (and yes, they do) it’s more likely to be caused by a crappy controller than due to bad sectors.

Assuming that you dont fill your SSD up to 99%. Consider its high value per gigabyte, it’s hard to leave huge free space.

That’s why you add a HDD for additional data storage. If you have a 64GB SSD, it makes no sense to fill it 99% with movies: it’s too small for normal use. As a result, people won’t use it for that, problem solved - no ‘sector write problem’ either.

Anyway, back to bashing Flash.

I learned ActionScript 3 these last 2 months and did stuff, because i had to more or less

well, of course, what IS good is that, when Flash is installed “it just works” everywhere and the same

I guess that all “PRO” I can give
its good to have an API that comes with it, that does so much, just like Java

but yeah I felt like the last person ever to learn Flash shortly before it dies and HTML5 takes over

WRT: Reboot - DIE MCAFEE DIE! Why on earth can I install a new video driver (aka kernel level device) without rebooting, but my stupid virus scan is asking me to reboot all the time. I don’t get it.

I had been long time hear someone use McAfee. About flash’s update, it can be disableb by blocking its startup entry.

The thing is, I want to update Flash, because it’s almost always updated for security reasons. I just want to be able to tell the damn thing to update silently like other well-behaved software, but their lawyers got into their heads that the user has to accept their EULA every single time. Actually I think their advertising department did, they figured it’d make sure to remind people every day “HEY YOU’RE RUNNING ADOBE FLASH AND WE’RE LOOKING OUT FOR YOU AREN’T WE SO GREAT”. Now it’s finally dawned on them that people are only equating Flash with obtrusive annoying updates as a result.