FarSky

Thanks Mickelukas for your feedback !
Does it happen all the time (did you try at least another time) ? Cause it seems that the game was running just fine with you before this update.
It seems to me that maybe the problem is that I write the log file in two different threads. :clue:

Tried it three times, happened each time. Played it 4-5 times before the update and worked each time.

A deadlock could indeed cause that behaviour. :slight_smile:

Mike

Thanks again for your time Mickelukas, your feedback is precious :smiley:
I just realized that only standard output stream was printed in the log file, and not standard error output stream. (I used System.setOut but not System.setErr when setting log file).
Now errors are printed in the log file.
I don’t think it is a deadlock issue, but who knows. Please tell me if the log file looks any better :slight_smile:

It seems that your launcher’s update function always choses the next instead of the newest version ./?

The screen is just black now instead blue, green and so on, but the GUI is still working.
The log is a little bit too long to post it here, but everything seems to be successfull except

* Validate Log *
Validation warning! - Sampler value colorTex has not been set. Validation successful. 

for colorTex, normalTex, texture

I remember having a texture loading bug in Overbind too - are you using the same system?

Much better :slight_smile:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NullPointerException
at game.p.c.a(Unknown Source)
at game.p.e.e(Unknown Source)
at game.p.e.a(Unknown Source)
at game.a.c.a(Unknown Source)
at game.a.c.a(Unknown Source)
at game.d.a.a.a(Unknown Source)
at game.d.a.b.a(Unknown Source)
at game.d.d.a(Unknown Source)
at game.i.h.a(Unknown Source)
at game.Main.c(Unknown Source)
at game.Main.main(Unknown Source)

Mike

Great Mickelukas, the problem is now fixed. It was due to multi threading. Fishes asked for world coordinates but the world was not generated yet ::slight_smile:
Now I look at your problem Drenius ;). You’re right, I used most of the texture part from Overbind game. Yet I’m glad to see that your graphic card sends back a clue.
Thanks again for the feedbacks !
This multi threading bug kept me awake, now I need some rest ;D

It works now :slight_smile:

The shell fish was a lot of jumping once the energy was too low to throw stones.

Finally finished the game, on the first try. Looks good so far, looking forward to some updates with more content.

Mike

@Drenius: after some research, it seems that this problem is related to your graphic card. Yet I’d rather be sure. Can you give me your graphic card specification please? (I expect it to be an ATI radeon, but the references would be useful to be sure if the game should work correctly or not).

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
You’re right…
But whats the problem?

I’m not sure your graphic card is the problem. There is not a lot of information about this problem on the web, and most of them are ending up on a hardware issue. Yet I was not convice and kept searching, I found some interesting info today and I hope I found a solution. For shader linking, I’m using the ARB extension (as mentioned in LWJGL tutorial). But some of the most recent drivers could have some trouble to handle it. Plus I checked with AMD software and there is no problem within the shader code, so it must be a linking issue. Plus you had the problem with Overbind game, I used the ARB extension too and the shader code was not the same.
I’ll change the linking function calls for next update (on Friday) and hope it will work for you :slight_smile:

Looking towards!

New Update!!! ;D

The main goal of this update is really to make the game more fun to play.
The gameplay has been improved and new features have been added. I hope you’ll like it.

New features are:

• add: critical hit
  • add: blood spatter
  • add: synaps physically exist and need to be collected
  • add: jellyfish enemy
  • add: object interaction. Press action button to interact with it
  • update: pieces of ship are always visible in the map
  • update: piece of ship is now a fan
  • update: a ray of light is pointing at the pieces of ship
  • update: stage 0 piece of ship is protected by Shell enemy
  • update: stage 1 piece of ship is protected by Octopus enemy
  • update: Octopus tentacle crash attack can be skirted
  • update: Octopus tentacle crash attack makes more damage
  • update: Octopus spear attack is easier to avoid
  • update: Shell behavior
  • update: top light is reflected on fishes
  • update: Shell enemy is not hurt the same way everywhere
  • update: life and name appear only for bosses
  • remove: power switching
  • fix: shader manager does not use ARB extension anymore
  • fix: error when going deeper than the expected level of stage 1

DOWNLOAD THE GAME HERE
You can follow the dev on Twitter.

http://www.farskygame.com/screenshots/screenshot4.png

http://www.farskygame.com/screenshots/screenshot3.png

http://www.farskygame.com/screenshots/screenshot2.png

Your feedback would be really appreciated :slight_smile:

Still black screen… (except GUI)

If you do the power jump (I guess it’s swimming?) as you win the game, the sound for it gets stuck on, and persists even through to the menu screen. Basically, the swim sound gets stuck on forever, and it’s relatively annoying. But other than that it seemed really well done, I didn’t experience any bugs that I could tell, other than that one right at the end.

It’s too bad about the lack of random encounters, the game now takes like 5 minutes to finish, while it took longer before.

And the shell fish is way too easy, the random direction makes him quite boring.

Mike

@Drenius: Well, that’s some bad news. I wish I could find what your problem is. I did some more research and I must say I start to believe that it could be a problem with your graphic card. Some ATI drivers could have trouble when it comes to run GLSL (shaders on top of an openGL implementation). People are saying they have blackscreens or no textures. The only solution I see now would be to update your driver, if an update is available. I saw on forums that it fixed it for some people. I wish I could do more…
@bilznatch: Actually it is a jetpack, but for the moment there is no clue to guess it. I see what bug you are reffering to, I’ll fix it. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:
@Mickelukas: I 'm keeping the idea that during your exploration, you see some random encounters. Of course for the moment there are only jellyfishes, but I’ll add more dangerous enemies later on. I think this is really important as it keeps the game surprising and fun. I just need time to add enemies :D. About the fact that it’s really fast to finish the game now, I agree. This will be fixed with more content in the near futur and difficulty adjustment.

New update!!! Alpha 04!! ;D

Again, I spent some time thinking about how to make the gameplay more fun and original and also less shooter. So this update is mainly focused on changing the weapon (you have a knife and a slower harpoon now) and also on bringing up a new feature: the energy slicer !
As the goal of the game is to go really really deep (you will be able to reach the dark abyss!), you now can split your suit energy to manage the water pressure and temperature. You will also have some other parameters to manage in the futur, such as lighting, oxygen (when you’ll be able to use the vessel), …

If you go too deep and the pressure is too high, your suit starts cracking and you will die after a certain amount of time:

http://www.farskygame.com/screenshots/screenshot9.png

And if you go too deep and the temperature is too low, your suit begins to freeze, and you can also die:

http://www.farskygame.com/screenshots/screenshot8.png

The energy slicer is looking like this. It replaces the previous suit evolution system which was… not so good on my opinion. But the energy slicer fits perfectly now ;D

http://www.farskygame.com/screenshots/screenshot7.png

Link to the game

I hope you’ll enjoy it :wink:

It looks really smexy! Except for the energy system on the suit. I actually liked that idea a lot :persecutioncomplex:.

UPDATE!!! ;D

This update is mainly focused on a new enemy… the shark!
There are also some other stuffs, such as more vegetation, quantum attracted by the player, a short get up animation at the beginning, and more.

http://www.farskygame.com/screenshots/screenshot10.png

Play here
Have fun! :smiley:

@elamre: Thanks! I liked previous energy system too, but it really did not fit all futur features.

There’s a light on your website making a ‘to’ in the text invisible :wink:
Still can’t see anything in the scene, but like the deepness bar!