Community Voting Has Started!

Community Voting starts on March 1st, and will continue for 2 weeks, ending March 15th (inclusive).

The form factor this year is slightly changed.

As usual, voters will be given a pool of 50 points to hand out to their most favorite games, 0 to 5 points.

New twitch is, voters will be able to write a short sentence/feedback about the game they are giving points to. This will be kept at minimum, twitter-length, but benefits both the game maker (getting feedback) and also the voter (giving feedback).
Giving feedback is optional, so those lazy-horses out there, no need to worry about a dreadful form to fill out :slight_smile:

I like this idea

Sounds excellent! Will there also be judges? I can’t recall what the original thread said… goes to check.

Yes, I will announce the judges tomorrow…

I’ll open the community voting when I get home from work tomorrow… how late depends on how much beer I’ll have… don’t hold your breath :>

Great! Thanks a lot for doing this ;D

Nice touch with the feedback!

Community voting has started!

http://java4k.com/

Once again, you need to have an account. I’ll add an “Oh man I forgot my password” feature tomorrow in case you forget your account password from last year.

The Search bar is preventing me from selecting the Community Voting Tab lol. Can you look into it Appel… It is happening on all my browsers…

Zoom out.

Yea, I can reproduce, need to fix it. But until then… I’ve added a link on the main page as well, so you should always be able to access the voting page from there as well.

Where are the judges?

[quote]voters will be able to write a short sentence/feedback about the game they are giving points to
[/quote]
Any reason that we cant give feed back on any submission? or is my understanding not correct? I gave a few entries 0 score… but that can only be achieved by leaving the score field blank… so how do you determine between a 0 score and a non-score?

I did leave feed back for all entries as i tested all entries.

Any reason that we cant give feed back on any submission? or is my understanding not correct? I gave a few entries 0 score… but that can only be achieved by leaving the score field blank… so how do you determine between a 0 score and a non-score?

I did leave feed back for all entries as i tested all entries.
[/quote]
Well, the idea was you give a game some points and optional feedback.
If you give a game 0 points and feedback, that will still be saved, but have no weight in the results.

That is fine, i am sure the authors would appreciate any and all feed back… i know i did when I had participated in the past. I was a little bit worried that my multi-hour effort of playing each entry and giving feedback would have been wasted for those which did not get a points ( I ran out of points :frowning: )

I’m seeing a flaw in the voting system - the games are sorted alphabetically. With a fixed pool of points go distribute, I find it very likely that games starting with numbers or an A will get significantly better scores than games later in the alphabet. I’d suggest doing such a comparison after the contest to see if this is the case. It might even be possible to calculate a curve representing this “multiplier” and normalize the results - perhaps not to use as actual results, but as interesting experiment.

For next year (and probably even for the remainder of the current year’s voting), I suggest making the list sorting randomized. The best way to do this would probably be to randomize it once for each user, meaning each logged-in user will see entries in the same order each time they look at the list.

I have generated a randomly sorted list, and I’m working through the games in that random order. (I did the same last year when I was a judge). But yes, we can’t expect everyone to do that.

Last year, I played all of the games, ranked them in order of descending awesomeness, then awarded points from my favourite downwards.
I’ll do the same this year.

/makes a mental note to write a game about aardvarks next year

Yeah, I think it is more a moral issue than it is anything else if you just give the first 10 games 5 points and don’t check the rest. I think the random thing is a good idea.

I played all the games and did my points depending on what I considered great getting the points in general. I was disappointed that it was only 50 points, I think a lot more games deserved some points… but that is just me :P.

Well, the reason for “only” 50 points is a psychological one. You’re more likely to spend 50 points than 500 points. There’s a whole lot of reasoning behind the scarcity of points.

HURRY… UP… NOT… MUCH… TIME… :point: ;D