Cell Invaders - TowerDefense Applet

It ist not complete yet, but playable.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1946/picd.png

This Applet won’t crash your browser! Promise!

clicky!

Feedback please!

Awesome !
I couldn’t play too much (I’m at work now) but I really liked it .
I couldn’t help noticing the similarity with Desktop Tower defense, but yours seems lot more polished .
I tried clicking “next” to fill it with bacterias, and no slow down . Very good !
Just need some more towers and stuff.
I wonder who’s the ‘hero’ that the spacebar refers to .

Edit: oh, and did you do it only with Java2D ? cause I didn’t get any security popup.

You get the hero in level 2.
yeah, it is much like DTD (my fav Flash game), but… drumroll… with some movable units.
The tutorial (first 3 levels) should explain everything.

mostly my own software rendering, looping through int[] (except non-prerotated sprites -> standard java2d)

It crashed in level 6… white applet. Java Console vanished…

Hm… unkewl.
Will test, investigate and hunt that error down. Will be difficult.
The levels are not very balanced yet nor extremely tested - very time consuming.
At least the error could be not my fault (no console?)… like always: blame the VM :slight_smile:
I will update the levels in a few days and tweak everything, so I can finish this game next week.
…must …finish this game.

Regarding the gameplay: I didn’t ever use the painters, and only started using air-defense structures in level 5. I’m always using the most basic defense, don’t really need to upgrade them, just making a very long path.

Very nice game!
Crashed here on level 6 aswell, on my second try on that level.

Yay! I’m so glad it is reproducible.
I’ll let you know when I corrected it and provide a level code which unlocks the first 6 level.

Was just about to ask. :slight_smile:

oh, very impressive work, really fun to play and great amounts of polish, top stuff.

+1 point if the game installs and uninstalls correctly
+0 point if the game doesn’t crash ever (probably get this point too once its crashes get fixed, see below for further explanation)
+1 point if the game is slickly presented
+1 point if the game has “good” graphics that suit the game
+1 point if the game has “good” sound that suit the game
+1 point if the game’s overall style is “good”
+0 point if the game is original or brings a great new original twist (just a tower defence, but a very polished one, need to play it more to see if this point can be awarded but so far not convinced)
+1 point if your judge enjoyed playing the game
+1 point if the game is complete enough that doesn’t feel anything is missing
+1 point if you don’t whine and you demand nothing of the mods (simply saying “can you rate my game please” is fine)

8/10

Top game, I’m sure you’ll fix the crash issues ppl have mentioned above, further I get an ugly exception box that pops up at the start of every level (sometimes multiple times) but game continues to work fine after I close it example.

Further could do with some balancing on the weapons strength/enemy strength, thought that the initial enemy strength was a little too strong. Once you have enough towers then suddenly feels a bit too easy making the towers a bit too strong. Guess a little tweaking here and there is need to get it to the right balance.

Also rocket tower behaviour is a bit odd as sometimes it might push the enemies in a direction that might allow them to get to the destination quicker and bypass some of your well placed towers.

the animation on the graphics are really smooth, 3d to 2d? they feel very fluid.

really nicely done and deserves to be in the featured section.

FEATURED.

:smiley:
bows low

BUT I WANT 10/10 !!! just kidding.
And thanks for the comments and the exception.

The rocket tower behaviour is a bit odd as sometimes it might push the enemies in a direction that might allow them to get to the destination >quicker and bypass some of your well placed towers.

thats on purpose

the animation on the graphics are really smooth, 3d to 2d? they feel very fluid.

Yes, 3d -> monocolor-> black cartoon border -> 2d (and everything generated procedurally in game)
Just got it down to 650k (pack200)

Really slick work*

Cas :slight_smile:

• Bah! A competitor!

White crash in level 5. I did level 6 before 5 and 4. So it might not be related to level 6. Maybe something like score or hero level or just something random…

Btw

Nice game. Very well done :slight_smile:

Just got this crash while trying to load the game. This is the first time loading it.
Windows 7.
Java 6 Update 20.
Chrome 5 browser.

When refreshing it, it came right and was able to play.

Edit:
Great game. Had no problems playing it.

I got the crash on level 3 now.
Win7 64bit, Java6.18

yep, I put a warning message into the title screen that the game will crash soon or later.
Did not find the cause yet, pretty hard without a stack trace.
I catch all Throwables. In theory, the trace should be sent back to the server (I log 'em all, including the exception which kapta sent).
But there is nothing…

Java Console was open, then it crashed, and the console vanished (again). So… no stacktrace of that one.

An other one however:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at kdk.util.StringHelper.a(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.util.StringHelper.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.threeD.OObjectModifier.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.threeD.SceneModPod$14.a(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.threeD.studio.TinyParser.b(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.threeD.studio.TinyParser.c(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.threeD.studio.TinyParser.a(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.threeD.studio.TinyParser.a(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.ScreenSource3D.a(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.stuff.picpod.SceneScreenPod.a(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.games.towerdefense.spawner.WaveListViewer.render(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.games.towerdefense.spawner.WaveListViewer.render(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.gamefx.GameFX.paint(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.dope.PluginManager.a(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.dope.PluginManager.a(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.dope.CannabisKwt.a(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.SuperGame.b(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.chapter.Chapter.a(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.collectionplayer.playertypes.CollectionPlayer.c(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.collectionplayer.playertypes.SingleGamePlayer.b(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.chapter.Chapter.a(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.collectionplayer.playertypes.CollectionPlayer.a(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.collectionplayer.CollectionPlayerStarter.a(Unknown Source)
	at gamecow.collectionplayer.CollectionPlayerStarter.b(Unknown Source)
	at kdk.Main.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

And…
VaWNlGiGaciGaciGR3oQkX6YnnDg4qUq2qq9VATx4qfavsdT0s-TacyQZNM6TciGacmwn XaWNlGiGaciGaciGR3oQkX6YnTT8XPebTN4AEZcpXNmybpOLqjf8aRVMaomT*eARaciGqiB

Played, solid start. Memory use keeps growing with each game played, about 10 meg more every new game.

BAM!
I found the cause (I hope!) and it was really, really stupid. Stupid because I already corrected it before, but commented it out again for testing. It was a simple ConcurrentModificationException when updating the blocked regions (by towers and creeps).
I guess proguard screwed it up, so nothing was printed to the console. Yes, I really need the Proguard step.

I think/hope it keeps growing because there is lots of memory left (I reserve 256m). Just simulated 1000 game plays with a robot and it worked fine.
Thanks everyone for (re-re-re) testing.
Loving Java again. Until the next exception!
Now working on the actual gameplay/levels again…