Boulder Dash 4k

Oh, i see. :smiley:

This is absolutely brilliant. Excellent work.

Your Boulder Dash 4k reminds me very much of the Amstrad version I used to play. And the death system, diminishing the player’s score, is definitely better and much less frustrating than in the original game. Now the average player can hope to go to the end of the game without cheating !

Concerning Fruity Frank, it would not be too difficult for you to convert it to Java 4K, as its engine is very close to the Boulder Dash one. It is certainly more intense to play, however it completely lacks the exploration and puzzle aspects of Boulder Dash. So don’t have too many regrets with your choice.

Until Java4k has been updated such that I am able to upload source code and resources, I have posted my source code as an attachment to this post :slight_smile:

Source code removed in case it infinges First Star’s copyright…

First Star Software, Inc., the copyright owners of Boulder Dash, contacted me and demanded that I removed this game from java4k.com. I had no other choice but to comply. :-\

Reupload, call it “Rock Run 4k”.

Kev

It is a shame…

I have sent an appeal, we shall see how it goes.

Who knew that such an old game still had an active copyright?

Well I had fun making the game and proved to myself and JGO members that was possible :slight_smile: But lesson learnt, next year I will have to do another original game.

Nothing wrong with changing your game, name, gameplay and graphics, so it is a unique game.

ah, but that is most of the work right there :stuck_out_tongue:

hmm… i shall think on it, I am no graphic artist, but i think i can make suitable sprites, the game mechanics will be more tricky to make the game “fun” and level design… maybe i will “cheat” and ask the forum goers to make some for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow; just WOW!

A company defending a 28 year old copyright? against a clone?!
I guess we have the iphone & other mobile platforms to blame for such madness.

Though i’m curious how the source code could breach copyright in any way? it’s an original work afterall.

You shouldn’t really have to change more than the name. Can’t copyright game mechanics. Presumably the sprites weren’t the actual originals. Level design not a total rip either?

Kev

actually yes, the levels are the same and the sprites are as close as i could make them…

re: the source, i do not want to jeapodise my chances for an appeal by having the source available.

Shame to lose the game! Can’t you just change the name/graphics a bit? They can’t copyright game mechanics… For a new name how about: ‘Miner Infringement’?!

Or just come up with a slightly different game mechanic.

+1 :smiley:

[quote]They can’t copyright game mechanics
[/quote]
I wouldn’t take that as granted for everybody. I think this isn’t black or white.

I was not given permission to use their copyright :frowning: perhaps i think it was markus’s ~20000+ plays for his VVVV entry that scared them :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah well… with my first baby due later this month, i do not think i will have time to overhall the game to make it not infringe :frowning:

If some one else is interested in taking ownership i can give them the source code, and tools i made for level data and image data generation.

[quote=“moogie,post:38,topic:34803”]
…so not all publicity is good publicity…

It’s a real shame to not be in the compo, but think of the glory! You (in just 4K) scared the giants! Woot!

Beautiful example of someone not understanding copyright. Do you think he asked his lawyer for advice and didn’t listen carefully or just wrote it without reference to a lawyer?