Blue Saga

Thanks for the kind words! I want exactly the same thing as you with the game. I want players to be able to customize/specialize their character as much as possible!

The skilltypes you see on the screenshot will level up as you use abilities of that skilltype (maybe I should call them schools instead of skills?). There won’t be any classes as I’ve said before, instead you’re free to use the abilities of a school and get better at them as you use them. Higher level in a school will enable you to acquire more powerful abilities of that school.

The effectivness of a weapon or an ability is also dependent on either your STRENGTH, INTELLIGENCE or AGILITY stat. For example a wizard-type player can also use a two hand sword if the strength is enough but it won’t do as much damage as if a warrior-type player with higher strength uses it. Same thing if a paladin-type uses fireball compared to a fire mage.

Then I have the different resistances/defense against different damage types. These will be different depending on the type of creature you’ve chosen and the equip you have.

So I think the character development will be quite interesting. I’m working right now on new damage formulas and it is proceeding well =).

This just keeps sounding better and better! Can’t wait until it’s released!

Thank you!

Here is a new screenshot of a new area I’ve added, showing some height differences:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A8VceBMCUAAhd0o.png:large

Got some help with the pixelart from my friend Otto.

I’ve also added a cave, will post screens of that soon.

Other than that I’ve fixed health and mana regain when not in combat, added all quests for the first public testing. So there isn’t much left to do except some tweaking and adding of particle-effects =D

beautiful! I wonder how long it will take until you release something for the crazy crowd!

However, I think you might want to try to change the interface buttons to match the rest of the game. For example all the boxes (menu, skills, and that mysterious 1) are pretty blocky and do not have the thin outline that all the ingame art has. Maybe it will fit better if you smooth it a little ?

Anyway, keep the good work!

Yes you’re right, the graphics are all over the place, I really need help from someone who can look over the graphics and do graphics for the whole game. If anyone is interested just let me know.

All content is in place, it is just some bugs that needs to be fixed, then we can all test it. And I would really appreciate ideas for features from you that can make the game funnier. Because it feels a bit oldschool mmo right now, with only quests and levelup skills and so forth (like the diablo-games I guess).

It needs wondky sound effects and skills.

Like a skeleton throwing his arm or a zombie heal skill where he eats himself.

As far as graphics go, right now you are really consistent with everything but the action bar. Change the actions bar boxes to have the pixelated edges and your good.

And what is wrong with that? :cranky:

Good idea, funny skills are awesome, I’m bad at sound effects but will try and find fitting ones.
I will try and remove the black outlines in some of the graphics to make it look more even and I will have to redo the UI-graphics, don’t know if I like those fat pixels, they clash a bit with the finer pixels in the game graphics, or what do you think?

Haha yes nothing wrong with that, it just seems that players today are used to creating elements such as all minecraft-clones which makes this game feel a bit uncreative. There will be crafting skills later on, need a fun crafting system and you will be able to build your own house etc. But I don’t know if it is a good idea to give players the option of destroying everything in the world.

I really like the way this game is coming along. I think the old RPG-esque look is what draws me into it the most. I like going around worlds doing side-quests and leveling up as long as the world looks very inviting, like Blue Saga does.

The only thing that is needed from the UI is a little bit more consistency, and you’ll have a gold winner. I wanted to see how it’d look if you did decide to take off those pixelated graphics, so I did a little bit of graphic tinkering and came up with this…

Not bad if I say so myself. I think the only thing that is important is that the UI is consistent. If you want a big pixel UI, make sure the entire thing is big pixeled. And vice-versa if you want a skinny border UI. (Oh, and you may use these graphics if you want without credit).

It is looking really good so far. Keep it up!

Wow thank you! Of course I will add your name in the credits. I really appreciate any help that makes the game better. I will put it in the game right now and see how it feels.

Redid the shop in the starting area to fit the forest-theme a bit more:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A8kAFlVCQAA6WXf.png:large

Redid the art for the inn as well, would be cool if you could talk to the snail and get quests from the actual inn-building and not only people inside it =D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A8pwetWCYAA1oX-.png:large

Added some simple fog to make the cave look more colorful:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A8-bPTUCQAAxXMF.png:large

Finally settled all the fuzz with creatures, families, classes and so forth. Creatures will be part of a family (Forest, Mountain, Sand, Snow etc…) and each creature will have a specific class orientation. So in the beginning of the game you only have to choose a name, a family and a creature. Here is a screenshot of the character creation screen. The creature you choose also have some restriction in what type of skills it can learn, for example a fire blob can’t learn ice-magic.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9SXpV9CQAI8cit.png:large

Finally made a new spell “ice bolt” which let you freeze the target. This makes the target unable to move or attack, but I wonder if I should let it use magic, what do you think?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9dAoVFCIAAO2K7.png:large

I really like the dormant snail house! You could make a Lantern Fish out of it for an underwater level.

I absolutely adore the graphics. Great job so far!

Here is a new video showing the newbie island called “Chompa Island” with its village, forest and caves.

TUQ5OHA1kAQ

Is the GUI movable?
If not, you can probably adapt this to your game :smiley:

You can go to my svn and checkout the source of com/gamearc/rrpg/engine/input/Mouse.java
and Download the game, to check out the gui movement/placement
run with

java -jar RandomRPG.jar

Stripped down version:

public class Mouse implements MouseAdapter, MouseAdapter {
	private boolean MapDrag = false, DebugDrag = false;
	private int MapX = 0, MapY = 0, DebugX = 0, DebugY = 0;

@Override
	public void mousePressed(MouseEvent e) {
		//If Shift and Control is down, Reset Location
		if (e.isShiftDown() && e.isControlDown()) {
			if (new Rectangle(World.Worldren.MapX, World.Worldren.MapY, 90, 90).contains(e.getPoint())) {
				//Default Position
				World.Worldren.MapX = 705;
				World.Worldren.MapY = 5;
			} else if (new Rectangle(World.Worldren.DebugX, World.Worldren.DebugY, 82, 73).contains(e.getPoint())) {
				//Default Position
				World.Worldren.DebugX = 4;
				World.Worldren.DebugY = 9;
			}
		//Else if shift is down, move the 
		} else if (e.isShiftDown()) {
			if (new Rectangle(World.Worldren.MapX, World.Worldren.MapY, 90, 90).contains(e.getPoint())) {
				//Enable dragging
				MapDrag = true;
				//Set position of mouse offset
				MapX = e.getX() - World.Worldren.MapX;
				MapY = e.getY() - World.Worldren.MapY;
			} else if (new Rectangle(World.Worldren.DebugX, World.Worldren.DebugY, 82, 73).contains(e.getPoint())) {
				//Enable dragging
				DebugDrag = true;
				//Set Position of mouse offset
				DebugX = e.getX() - World.Worldren.DebugX;
				DebugY = e.getY() - World.Worldren.DebugY;
			}
		}
	}

@Override
	public void mouseReleased(MouseEvent e) {
		//Set new location and disable Realtime draggin
		if (MapDrag) {
			World.Worldren.MapX = e.getX() - MapX;
			World.Worldren.MapY = e.getY() - MapY;
			MapDrag = false;
		} else if (DebugDrag) {
			World.Worldren.DebugX = e.getX() - DebugX;
			World.Worldren.DebugY = e.getY() - DebugY;
			DebugDrag = false;
		}
	}

@Override
	public void mouseDragged(MouseEvent e) {
		//Realtime Dragging
		if (MapDrag) {
			World.Worldren.MapX = e.getX() - MapX;
			World.Worldren.MapY = e.getY() - MapY;
		} else if (DebugDrag) {
			World.Worldren.DebugX = e.getX() - DebugX;
			World.Worldren.DebugY = e.getY() - DebugY;
		}
}

Yes the GUI is movable, but thanks for the offer!

Somebody put this into featured :stuck_out_tongue:
This is just rather amazing.

Thanks! I’m releasing client v0.3 to you all really soon (in a week or so)!