Aukrus

Hello everyone :slight_smile: I had a previous account on here under the name “Xolitude” but I can’t remember the password nor am I able to reset it so I had to make a new one </3 Anyways!

I’m here to show my game, Aukrus. Aukrus is a fan-made Fallout game built with Slick2D (Outdated, I know). However, I like Slick2D a lot. I find it very user-friendly and simple to follow. Moreover, it does what I need it to do thus far so no harm no foul. There’s isn’t much to the game as of right now as I’ve been building a lot of the foundation and tweaking it as I go for the better part of a month (29 days as of writing this post). Here is a screenshot of the main menu and the in-game Pip-Boy UI which I am dubbing the Pip-Boy 1500 ^^

https://gyazo.com/57dca42cb5a02738664b5e30d2ea8b4e.png

And here is the main menu:

https://gyazo.com/bbe1034d243be2aebb7a40ab279be80e.png

I know the main menu is a bit bland right now but I’m going for that classic Fallout 3/New Vegas look with the buttons and what-not. They do have a “hover” feature which is displayed upon hovering.

Base Functionality

Pip-Boy: As of right now, you can open [Tab] the Pip-Boy, navigate the menus (Stats, Items, Data) of which only “Items” has been started. You can also equip the armor shown in the Pip-Boy which can be added to the player using a console command “additem [itemid]”:

Movement: All movement animation, including ones for the armor piece, are essentially done and updating/rendering properly. Things like the console [~] and the Pip-Boy [Tab] can be viewed and interacted with and as such, they stop/prohibit player movement while open.

Main Menu: “New” and “Exit” are the only buttons working as of now. When launching with Eclipse or from CMD, it shows a “%s Not Implemented” message for the buttons that don’t have actions as of yet.

Resource Loading: I’ve built my own ResourceLoader class to load resources upon game launch and to only continue when all have been properly loaded and parsed. The way I currently have it may not be the most efficient, but it works for the time being. I have also built my own Tiled parsing classes to aid in what I’ll need.

As of right now, I have a solid ground to build up from. I’m not yet finished with Patch a0.1 but everything I’ve implemented now will help me in the long run. As for updates, I will post here but I also have a free webhost, GitHub and Trello you can follow if you wish. As for story, I do have some ideas in mind but if you guys have suggestions please shout them out.

** Patch a0.1 will ‘release’ when I implement one weapon animation and one mob to fight for those of you who are willing to play-test **

Thank you for taking the time to view the progress of my game :slight_smile:

Development Blog: http://solitudedevelopment.x10host.com/
GitHub: https://github.com/Xolitude/Aukrus
Trello: https://trello.com/b/vJjqs5rM/aukrus

Update

Items found throughout the game world can now be picked up and used.

I’m still working on adding a console command to test spawning items in the world to test this with. The current one is hard-coded. Once I finalize this feature, I’ll be adding the ability to search containers found within the game world, as well.

EDIT: I didn’t want to make another reply for this so I thought I’d edit the post. Thank you for the medals, dime26 and VaTTeRGeR. They have not gone unnoticed and they mean a lot to me and to my development. I deeply appreciate it. :point:

Update 2

With the addition of being able to pick items up found within the game world, you can now also drop items from your inventory which will be placed at the players current x and y co-ordinates.
In addition, if you currently have that item equipped, it will unequip upon dropping it.

I also removed the hard-coding item spawning for that particular item and you are now able to spawn items into the world using the console:
The command is as follows: world additem [id] [x-float] [y-float]; Ex- world additem 1 50.5 50.

Known Bugs:

• The “(E) %s” text will only appear for the last known item added to the game world.

I’m not entirely sure if I’ll work on containers next. They are a definite plan in my development notes but I don’t think they are important as of right now.

Lastly, thank you, Longarmx, for the medal. It means a lot to me :point:

Let’s see where you are going with this project, I’ll keep watching :slight_smile:

I appreciate that. This is really nothing more than a hobby and an educational project. It’s something I work on in-between work and uni and it will be quite a while before I have anything concrete to show off. I just enjoy showing the little bits and pieces of progress that I’m happy to get to every so often. I typically don’t do more than one update/day whenever I do one just to avoid burning myself out.

Update 3

I decided to work on a basic notification system, similar to the Fallout 3/New Vegas notification system.

The code I have for it currently is boiler-plate and only meant for testing. Eventually, I’ll have to completely re-work the code to add a sort-of event system to make this work; Example classes (onPickup(), onDrop(), onUse(), etc,.)

EDIT: I am working to fix the image links within these posts. Hang in there :wink:

Fallout! My favorite game:)

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for your project.

Making a game like Fallout is a huge challenge.

Update 4

Thanks, meva, I appreciate that, a lot :point: Making a game like Fallout is indeed a huge challenge. However, the Fallout series is my absolute favorite and I do have sort-of a set goal in mind and with some research and discipline, I know I can get it done, no matter the time frame. My past attempts at other games never had a goal in mind, just something I was making on the fly which were doomed to fail. But I feel confident about FalloutFMP by far. Thank you for the support :slight_smile:

Over the past couple of days, I’ve been toying with the animation of my crudely drawn Pool Cue weapon:

The art for this is… mediocre but good enough for what I need it for. I did not add a north (up) animation for it, as I just didn’t think it would look good. The player would only see the base of the pool cue and I found it to look a bit odd. But for the time being, this will work.

After contemplating for a couple of days, I decided to create a Discord server for anyone wanting to maybe ask questions or just further follow development.
Here is the link necessary: https://discord.gg/QDDaCK5

As for development, I’m currently working on creating a pause screen/menu as well as the Settings -> Controls menu.

RPG’s are a pretty big adventure… things are looking promising with the screenshots.

You will probably want to maintain just the tone and ambiance of fallout over the name, I could see that causing grief, especiially with the green pip boy style image you are using.

They are a very big adventure and I’ve never taken a full attempt at it but I do feel very confident with this project. I appreciate the kind words :slight_smile: In regards to the “grief,” could you explain more? I think you’re trying to say that it’s best I go with the “look and feel” of Fallout but change the name, which I am entirely open to, but forgive me if I’m wrong. I just chose something relatively bland because of my love for the series, nothing more. In regards to the pip-boy style inventory, I would like to get in contact with Bethesda to some degree to see if what I’m doing is allowed. My worst fear is building the base UI, then having to tear it all down and start it from scratch so thank you for making me think on my options. If you or anyone else has suggestions for a new name, please shout them out I’d love the input!

How comes you are using Slick2D? I really like it as well but it’s kinda outdated, did you experience any trouble with it so far?
From my experiences I can tell that Slick2D especially has it’s limitations in terms of GUI compared to libgdx for example. Did you consider using an additional GUI framework like Nifty or TWL?
(Don’t get me wrong, it’s completly okay to programm all of the gui parts by yourself, just telling you that in case you are not aware of it :slight_smile: )

1. Although Slick2D is indeed outdated, the capabilities it holds in it’s current state are more than enough to build a complete game. Furthermore, I have not had any issues with it thus far, as far as I can remember. I didn’t have any problems that I couldn’t overcome, lets put it that way. Everything I need it to be able to do, it has done very well thus far. Documentation and source still exists for it, as well, if/when those become necessary to use. The engine being outdated does not throw up any concerns with me, as I knew this when I began using it.

2. I have built my own foundation for GUI functionality. I have heard of TWL and Nifty, as well as others since I started messing with Slick a year or two back. They were one of the first things I did research on before messing with any sort of UI-base. However, I didn’t feel the need to use them. I have not yet experienced any issues with GUI functionality both in terms of coding and in artwork.

Thank you for the reply :slight_smile: Any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Nice to hear, good luck with your further development!
I been messing around with Slick2D for quite some time as well now. In case you need any help or want a second opinion do not hesitate to ask me, maybe I can support you somehow.

Thank you very much :slight_smile: I will absolutely keep that in mind, appreciate the support :point:

Update 5

Currently, I’m working on Settings->Controls. The rectangle becomes visible once you hit “Settings” and goes away upon hitting the same button. I have not yet built a UI for this as my motivation is quite low but I needed to push myself to work on something. The controls are set within a file: controls.txt:

The numbers are, of course, the key codes. I know the controls file isn’t very user-friendly but the idea is that you’d edit the controls within the game rather than the file. I will edit this reply upon being able to set controls within the game.

Update 5.5

I drew up some UI for the Controls and did my best at centering the text from the middle of the control. Also modified the updating so when the Controls view is visible, the only button that updates (i.e you can hover over and use) is the Settings button. I probably won’t add the ability to modify the controls quite yet.

Hello, everyone!

I noticed I have not done much work on FalloutFMP as I’ve been a bit busy with work, just a bit of chaos, really and as such, have not had much time. The GitHub has also not been touched in nearly two-weeks because of this. I have explained in further detail on my blog as well as my upcoming plans but essentially, these are the plans for the upcoming update to compensate for any delays…

• Basic Day/Night Cycle
  • Container Looting (One-way for now)
  • Controls Editing

This list is subject to change but as of right now, these are my plans. Below is the link to the blog post. Thank you :slight_smile:

http://solitudedevelopment.x10host.com/2018/04/03/delays/

Update 6

Working on looting containers, complete with opening and closing animations. The functionality is similar to that of the inventory system:

NOTE: The current UI for the container is meant only for testing phases and I am in the works of creating a full UI for it.

(Preview of the pesky Fallout HP bar!)

Update 7

Started on the ability to edit controls:

Minor Notes:

• No changes are saved to file; All changes are saved in memory for the current session.
  • Known bug - Mapping a control to more than one key-bind.

This is unfinished but serves as a proof of concept.

April 19th, 2018:

I’ve decided to re-brand the game as ‘Aukrus’. Aukrus will still attempt to contain the feel and ambiance of Fallout over the course of it’s development with perhaps even some similarities in UI, items, etc,. as Aukrus is heavily inspired by Fallout. However, nothing from the Fallout franchise itself, in terms of assets, will of course be used. I’m very excited for the future of my first game and I look forward to the day I release my first alpha patch for some basic play-testing :slight_smile:

Below is a short list summing up what is still left to be done for the first patch within the game itself:

It’s possible I will skip drawing an attack animation for this patch hence the “Simulate Attacking” note. After many attempts, I was unable to draw something even temporarily usable and I don’t wish to spend too much time on that as there are other more important core mechanics to implement.

You may add to your list an enemy.
For example, the enemy may do random moves and throw something in random directions.

It will help you to design battle engine, consumption of action and health points.