ApoSheeptastic

New version is online.

First (alpha)android port is online. When someone wants to test it, feel free and test it. :wink:

Improvements:

• removed some bug
  • now you can see how much moves you can make to get 1 or 2 or 3 stars
  • no exception anymore when using strg+c, strg+v or strg+x in the the textfield
  • the username can now have the ā€˜rā€™-letter

Next step:

• sound
  • ANIMATIONSSSSSS :wink:

Worked fine for me.

There looked to be a slight graphical glitch at the edge of the flower tiles. Iā€™d guess itā€™s an issue with the texture boundary filtering when scaling down to 320x480 resolution. Presumably youā€™ll be able to reproduce this by testing at that resolution. Otherwise Iā€™ll have to send you a photo of my phone screen or something so you can see the problem.

Also because of the relatively low resolution, the text on the tutorial screen was a little tricky to read. Not a big issue, but I guess it wouldnā€™t be difficult to increase the font size a bit.

Overall I really like the gameā€™s new look. The only negative thing I can say is that the ā€œLEVEL UPā€ effect looks out of place now (it was more suited to the old game style). But thatā€™s a really minor thing, and it may just be me.

Simon

Thanks for testing it! It is still very work in progress.
You are right with the scaling bug and the little text. In the next version it will be removed. Thanks for reporting!!!

I updated the desktop version. Click here to play the applet

Whats new:

• dogs: Sheeps are scared of dogs! They will turn their direction when they meet a dog. Except there are more than 6 sheeps then the dog is scared and will run away.
  • black sheeps: Black sheeps are a little bit strange! they change their direction clockwise after one move.
  • ingame editor: try to make your own puzzle
  • more puzzles (at the moment 38)

Next step:

• still sound and animations are missing
  • online database for the userlevels

The folks from Playandroid make a little preview.

Really sheeptastic! ;D

Your applet works only on my primary monitor.

Launching the applet on the secondary monitor results in:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: adding a container to a container on a different GraphicsDevice
	at java.awt.Component.checkGD(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.addImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.add(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JApplet.addImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.add(Unknown Source)
	at org.apogames.ApoScreen.initApplet(ApoScreen.java:160)
	at org.apogames.ApoScreen.init(ApoScreen.java:76)
	at apoSimple.ApoSimpleApplet.init(ApoSimpleApplet.java:47)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Please know that Applet.init( ) is NOT called on the EDT, so you shouldnā€™t manipulate any components on that method. You might want to move that code to addNotify( )

Thanks for finding the bug and playing the game.

I fixed it and added some more levels in the game and a tutorial for the puzzle mode is added now too.

If you want to try it, click me

I donā€™t really like the endless mode not being endless :persecutioncomplex: :slight_smile:

Very nice! I just played through an enjoyable 15 levels.

Big thanks for testing the game.

Play the latest version

In the new version

• I added more levels
  • fixed some bugs in the editor
  • added some more sheep in the menu
  • added a tutorial for the (theoretical :wink: ) endless mode

I would be very happy if someone could test the game and the editor. Do you find some bugs? Thanks =)

First little animation is ready:

What do you think? =) I like it.

Thoseā€™re nice!
One more mark for sheep, their smiling.

Thanks for the feedback!

Today new little animations:

I uploaded a new version with the animations and more improvements.

Hey Apo,
It does look better and cutier now.

However I would try choosing a better font, this one reminds me those old windows 3.11 gamesā€¦ and thatā€™s not good.

I hope the dog sprite is a placeholder, because its style (more like pixel art) does not match with the sheeps art style.

Another thing is that the 'meeehā€™s from the menu get kind of annoying, since to play the game you have to pick like 3 or 4 menu items, and the meeeeh start to annoy on the 4th time. Maybe just changing the pitch or something like that of the meeeehs would help.

The game itself is very nice and I think it would lend perfectly for handhelds. I just think you need some more polish to look like those games that people would pay for.

Thanks for the feedback!

You are right with all the points.

I changed the font. Now it looks better (imho).

The dog-sprite is only a placeholder. I will change it later.

And yes the button sound is very annoying. Does anyone have a good idea what I can change? Only the 'meeeehā€™sound is boring. I will think about it and change it in the next version.

I will try it polish it hard. ;D

WOW very nice improvements since my last try!

You added levels and a puzzle mode, upgraded graphics and are still improving things as you go!

A few PERSONAL comments, donā€™t know if others feel the same !!!

Puzzle mode:

• level design is quite steep. The first levels < around 5 where very good. Then it is getting harder
    and harder to get the right sheep to clear the level in one move.
    I like the fact that it is getting difficult, but I fear you would lose too many players early on.

• Feel of control.

• Maybe you could make the grass eating as a bonus rather than prevent the level to be completed.

• I found the shifting/moving/falling action rather frustrating.
    It was nice to follow the path in your mind as you move the sheep around, but when there were
    more moves necessary to complete a level I found it frustrating that the falling of the objects really
    threw my predictions away. Again, this could very well be challenging in later puzzles, but you
    introduced it rather quickly.

• In the tutorial I thought I saw a text that there were 40 levels. I think you should increase that in case
    you want to charge money for it.

Endless Mode:

• The falling technique works better in this mode
  • Still would love to have a ā€˜change directionā€™ power (Maybe power up?)
  • The ration frustration/feel of control is better in this mode all together.

General:

• ā€œWe are strong messageā€ doesnā€™t really apply as long as there is no dog/wolf in sight

My compliments on your persistence to this game and I think you demonstrate good game design
in progressively improving on your game. It has come a long way from your first idea.
Like I wrote in my earlier post it has potentials and now it slowly looks like something that people
actually would pay for. You might want to check a game like Shoot the Apple on Android.
It has a nice feature that you can unlock levels if you have scored heavily enough or buy an unlock.

Keep on polishing the graphics but I would kindly ask to look into (puzzle)level-design.

Best regards from
M.E.

int i = 1000000;
while (i > 0) {
System.out.print("big, ");
iā€“;
}
System.out.println(ā€œbig thanks for the long and very good feedbackā€);

You are right with the level design. For me it is easy but I designed the levels ā€¦
In the next version I will implement more easy levels which you can solve in 1 step.
The 2 or 3 step levels will follow later.

You are right the ā€œstrongā€ message will be shown only when there is a dog in the level in the next version.

The ā€œchange directionā€-powerup will follow in the next version and the endless mode. Iā€™m testing it at the moment.

And thanks for the ā€œShoot the Appleā€-coin idea. I will try to implement it too.

Now I added a new gameplay video with some new music.
If you want to test the current version click here.

a new version is online!

You can play it here.

What is new?

• rotation goodie. Change the direction of a sheep clockwise. Every 5 levels you get 1 goodie.
  • coins: With coins you can buy help. In the endless mode you can show the current best sheep which is building the biggest flock of sheep and in the levelmode you can solve the current level. New coins you can get if you play in the endless mode or solve the levels

Next step?

• more levels and new different tiles like a fence.

Do you like it? Do you find any bugs?

A new version is online.

What is new?

• you can save your current game -> go to the menu button and press save & menu and play your level again later.
  • a double tile. That means on that tiles there are two sheep, so you have to visit that tile twice.
  • geman translation -> Was a request of my family. In the offline version the game will take your region and if it german all the text will be shown in german.
  • offline version saves your progress in a file (like the applet version with cookies)

Next step?

• more levels and new different tiles like a fence.

Do you like it? Do you find any bugs?

Now I replaced the dog sprite with a new imho better one.
And I added two new tiles: a bush and the fence.

Next step:

• more levels with the new tiles (fence, double sheep and bushes)
  • some new sounds
  • android version

The lastest version you can play here.

A new level with the new tiles inside: